PDA

View Full Version : Not only stop selling Toyotas, stop DRIVING them now as well

Goat Roper
02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/35213034

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 10:27 AM
wow...

but that won't happen. people will still drive them.

Coop, I know you'll look at this, so does an '08 Highlander fall under this recall? FWD v6?

WhatsADSM
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM
... The testing examines microwave radiation and every other type of magnetic wave and we have never been able to force our systems to fail through any of the tests that are done on them. There are many redundancies and fail safes that are built into our system. If the accelerator pedal and the throttle on the engine don’t match in their communication to each other the throttle returns to an idle position.

What a weird statement.

We understand the electronics are not at fault. But if the sensor on the pedal has a MECHANICAL issue then there is nothing your system can do about it. If they would have just brought the brake sensor into the safety system they wouldn't have this problem.... Or designed a pedal system where the sensor didn't stick.... or put in a separate redundant sensor. Face it toyo, if you designed/manufactured a better system you wouldn't have these issues. Its kind of foolish to keep trying to pretend there is no issue at this point.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
LOL. awesome.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2010, 11:51 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35216587/ns/business-autos/?GT1=43001

looks like he meant to say "take to a dealer", lol.

BAD LS1
02-03-2010, 11:52 AM
I was just next to an accountant looking guy driving a green new camry at a stop light , i wanted to give him the cross symbol with my two pointer fingers, but also thought he may floor it away as we were the first two and the pedal would get stuck, he'd plow into a chock full mini-bus carrying handicap kids and everything would burst into flames and it would have been all my fault, well half my fault.

DynoTom
02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Nothing could ever go wrong with a Toyota .......All is well.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
02-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Total overreaction on LaHood's part.

BAD LS1
02-03-2010, 11:57 AM
LaHood says his advice to owners is to "stop driving it. Take it to a Toyota dealer because they believe they have a fix for it."

Lol how will people take that? have it TOWED to the dealer? and this really instills confidence with me "they believe to have a fix for it" bahahahah so they are not sure thats going to fix it? Thats the impression that statment gives off to me anyway.

WhatsADSM
02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
Total overreaction on LaHood's part.
Yea it is an overreaction. Plus a little bit of a political ploy to CYA, and make the gov't look really serious about the issue. In reality they only recently pushed toyo to do something, even tho escalation of the issue should have come long ago.

People need to remember there are 2.3 million of these vehicles out there. That and there are a few hundred reports over what 5-10 years. The probability that a stuck accelerator causes an accident I'm sure is still FAR FAR below someone just not paying attention and causing an accident.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-03-2010, 12:07 PM
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Dispatch/default.aspx?feat=1602650

Al
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to figure out if this is media sensationalism, a twist on the truth, or reality.

Does anyone think that now would be a good time to buy Toyota stock or should we wait for it to go down more?

Moparjim
02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I would wait on the stock big time...

This won't hurt them much in the long run, but their next few quarterly results will take a huge hit from it even just from brief the stop of production and sales. Whenever any company reports remotely bad quarterly results, in my experience the market knee jerk jackasses will have it dropping double digit percentages no matter what the actual value of the stock is...

In the long run it probably will pan out as just mainly media sensationalism, but again in my experience lately with a country full of amateurs (like us lol) able to trade with the click of a button it is the media sensationalism and daily news reports that determine a stocks price far more than silly things like P/E ratios, growth numbers, etc. lol. I've had great stocks that I own post record profits but a few pennies below "analysts expections" still see the stock drop from that miss...

CATNHAT
02-03-2010, 03:37 PM

This won't hurt them much in the long run, but their next few quarterly results will take a huge hit from it even just from brief the stop of production and sales. Whenever any company reports remotely bad quarterly results, in my experience the market knee jerk jackasses will have it dropping double digit percentages no matter what the actual value of the stock is...

In the long run it probably will pan out as just mainly media sensationalism, but again in my experience lately with a country full of amateurs (like us lol) able to trade with the click of a button it is the media sensationalism and daily news reports that determine a stocks price far more than silly things like P/E ratios, growth numbers, etc. lol. I've had great stocks that I own post record profits but a few pennies below "analysts expections" still see the stock drop from that miss...

Then tell us when it is time to buy!! FTW!!!:wooo

jbiscuit
02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx

77thor
02-03-2010, 04:27 PM
LaHood is an idiot....

Reverend Cooper
02-03-2010, 06:45 PM
WOW can you say Government Obama motors involvement to spread panic and fear. ahahahaha just gets better every day

Reverend Cooper
02-03-2010, 06:51 PM
oh yeah choke choke swallow lolz

Greg@GLD
02-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Actually I think this WILL hurt them in the long run Jim. How? Easy...
This so-called "superior quality" thing has been over-blown for far too long. It's fact that this "gap" in recent years has closed. TRUE American car companies are making better products. But brand loyalty amungst the Toyota-ites has been strong, which is fine. "Why change, I love my Toyota!"

Oh what a feeling...

Anyway... point is, people who may make a change now will see that they can buy a car that is not sold by a company based in Tokyo, and the quality is actually pretty good. This could change their way of thinking long-term.

I hope so. Our country needs it. Badly.

And let's be fair here... who can blame poor Mike for his defending of his employer? It's fun to yank his chain, but this is his career...

Holeshot
02-03-2010, 07:22 PM
-4.69 (-6.00%)Range 71.90 - 76.24
52 week 56.79 - 91.97
Open 75.70
Vol/Avg. 917,529

HITMAN
02-03-2010, 08:54 PM
And let's be fair here... who can blame poor Mike for his defending of his employer? It's fun to yank his chain, but this is his career...

Actually, I think Mike's assessment of the situation is spot-on. Anybody that doesn't think that this administration's motives aren't the least bit nefarious is totally nieve. Obama has a vested interest in seeing his car company do well against it's number 1 competition.

Greg@GLD
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Actually, I think Mike's assessment of the situation is spot-on. Anybody that doesn't think that this administration's motives aren't the least bit nefarious is totally nieve. Obama has a vested interest in seeing his car company do well against it's number 1 competition.

If there wasn't a defect, this topic wouldn't exist...

It's a Government plot now... Ok, I got it.

My take on that is, wouldn't it be easier for them (The administration) to enact "hurdles" that would make things difficult not only for Toyota, but Nissan, Mitusbishi, Kia, Honda, etc?? Seems like a strange way to go about things. I'm no fan of the demoncrats, but this seems a little tin foil hat-ish...

HITMAN
02-04-2010, 01:30 AM
If there wasn't a defect, this topic wouldn't exist...

It's a Government plot now... Ok, I got it.

My take on that is, wouldn't it be easier for them (The administration) to enact "hurdles" that would make things difficult not only for Toyota, but Nissan, Mitusbishi, Kia, Honda, etc?? Seems like a strange way to go about things. I'm no fan of the demoncrats, but this seems a little tin foil hat-ish...

Does Toyota have an issue? No doubt. But the Obama administration seems to follow a doctrine of "Never let a good crisis go unexploited" as long as it suits their needs. If Honda or Nissan has a similar issue in the near term, I have no doubt they will suffer the same over the top lambasting by the government and the
media. Not to mention that the others you mentioned aren't the ones poised to knock GM off of their #1 in the USA spot.

Tin-foil hats? Eh, it wouldn't be the first time...

Yooformula
02-04-2010, 01:44 AM
Gotta side with hitman and Mike on this too. Although I am not a fan of yota, I wonder if the govt would be so involved with this if they didnt have such a huge stake in GM.

88Nightmare
02-04-2010, 02:32 AM
if thats the case, and obama motors is using the media to brainwash our country even further, then wouldn't this be contradicting themselves?

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/autos/chevy_cobalt/index.htm

Greg@GLD
02-04-2010, 06:08 AM
Gotta side with hitman and Mike on this too. Although I am not a fan of yota, I wonder if the govt would be so involved with this if they didnt have such a huge stake in GM.

Fair enough... But... isn't the Prius brake issue something that Japan's Interior Ministry is making an issue of?

In a separate discussion, I agree 1000% with what Hitman said about the President exploiting a crisis to get an agenda through. I just think in this instance, that isn't the case. I may be behind the times here, but I thought that GM and Toyota have had several joint ventures, cars that are really Toyotas badged as GM products???

BAD LS1
02-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Well if this were the really the case, id expect retaliation against Ford too since, they producing good products and are more financially fit and the most equal competitor. Why would obama, although a dumb ass, sink that much effort into a company that's going to be public again by June at the latest? Conspiracy theorists.

And yep GM had a joint venture for many years for the Prizm and the Vibe up through 2009.

Crawlin
02-04-2010, 07:29 AM
I can definitely see it being an Obama led "witch-hunt' kinda thing. But like what's been stated before, it's just taking advantage of the current media topic to make themselves look good for voters.. It's not a profit thing, or to hold one company down. Just a simple ego boost of looking like they are helping. It goes both ways, gas prices go up, dems say "hey look what your republican reps are doing to you". Prices go down, you don't hear shit until they were in office again.

Although, maybe it's just one of those things that the government is tired of dealing with the bullshit over the past 3 years

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/03/AR2010020304056.html?nav=rss_email/components

Waver
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM
Yes, there is a problem with toyota, however they are fixing it. I think this is getting blown way out of proportion here. This is mostly the media's fault. Remember the exploding gas tanks and the fear that the media spread about that one, only to find that they "helped" the issue out, a lot. Or how about the explorer tire issue, where the main stream media made it seem that the moment that one of your tires had a sudden loss of air, your explorer would flip. What happened? Oh yeah, several automobile magazines did their own tests, and proved that if you would act like you would in any other blow out situation, and slowly pull over to the side of the road, the Explorer would have no more of a tendency to flip than any other suv. It is true that all three had (have) a problem, however all three have/are getting fixed. This is what happens when the main stream news media gets a hold of something during a slow news month and runs wild with it. it has been said that less than 1-2% of toyotas have exhibited this problem. What is the news doing? Like the other three examples, they are making it seem like all Toyotas will start accelerating out of control, making it seem that it is not an if but a when. This is crap. Remember that motorized seatbelt recall back in the 90's, where all the manufacturers who had them had a recall on them because they would get stuck? Probably not, because it was reported in the news once, maybe twice, it was handled, and then it was done. Why was it like this? because there was bigger news going on at the time

Moparjim
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Several points I would like to make.

If there was any conspiracy, it was over the last 5 or so years FOR TOYOTA where our media and country has had a love affair with them even as things have slowly started to go wrong... As posted in the other thread they have had MAJOR recalls, 9 million cars in the 3 years preceding this including a 3 or so million car major steering issue safety recall and basically noone ever heard about it. As of 2006 or so, they had over a 10% recall rate - four times that of Chrysler, a company not exactly known for its stellar quality, yet some brainwashed people and the media still touted Toyota as flawless. The Camry has consistantly ranked 6-7 or so in JD Power midsize car category the last 5 or so years, beaten handily by domestic cars like the Chevy Malibu, Buick Lucerne, Ford Fusion. Seventh is far from First... I've posted before about how bad the big Tundra launch 3-4 years ago was. Apparently that news never made it outside of industry magazines and news. Engine/cam problems, a transmission so noisy and prone ot problems they were calling it the "rumble strip" transmission since that is what it sounded like, the box going out of square, tailgates breaking off, you name it. So bad the plant went through 2 rounds of layoffs as they sold only 20% of their target numbers, then eventually shut down for 9 months to completely redo the plant and truck. Remember the advertising BLITZ? Where did it go it just disappeared when they pulled the truck from production. Yet no major media outlets reported on it much if at all. Only reason I know all about it is that I worked in the industry as an engineer and got the trade magazines, and I was offered a job at that plant in San Antonio and was there and did quite a bit of research and followed the story after I turned the job down since I was curious as to whether I made the right decision..

As far as the government siding with our/their businesses I say it is ABOUT TIME. The Japanese, Korean, and Chinese governments over the last 20 years have done far far far far more to make it almost impossible for our car companies to even sell much of anything at all over there, let alone compete on a level playing field. Europe and Canada also do far more to protect their local markets then we do. Ask one of the 10-20% of our country that is unemployed or underemployed what they think about it.

WhatsADSM
02-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Several points I would like to make.

If there was any conspiracy, it was over the last 5 or so years FOR TOYOTA where our media and country has had a love affair with them even as things have slowly started to go wrong... As posted in the other thread they have had MAJOR recalls, 9 million cars in the 3 years preceding this including a 3 or so million car major steering issue safety recall and basically noone ever heard about it.

As far as the government siding with our/their businesses I say it is ABOUT TIME. The Japanese, Korean, and Chinese governments over the last 20 years have done far far far far more to make it almost impossible for our car companies to even sell much of anything at all over there, let alone compete on a level playing field. Europe and Canada also do far more to protect their local markets then we do. Ask one of the 10-20% of our country that is unemployed or underemployed what they think about it.

THANK YOU!

Everyone that thinks it is an Obama big conspiracy to get toyota... you are lost... and that is literally a conspiracy theory. If it were true the government would be hiding every GM issue (not true as we JUST saw the thing about the cobalt) and attacking every other manufacturer not just Toyota.

Fact of the matter is this is about TOYOTA'S problem. The Toyota vehicles are the ones killing people, and just as Jim pointed out they have the most recalls. Period.

As for why the media likes to latch on. Because that is what they do. When you are #1 at what you do that is what happens. #1 has its ups and its downs, but one thing is for sure when you slip up everyone will point and laugh. Why do people follow Toyota's slip, Tiger's problems, and Britney Spears' fuck ups? Because they are on top of their game. It doesn't draw the same attention as "hey look Kia made a shitty car", "Woody Austin only shot a one under par", or "Kevin Federline's new CD sells 1000 copies opening week".

07ROUSHSTG3
02-04-2010, 10:31 AM

Agreed. this whole recall debacle is simply leveling the playing field that has been so slanted for so many years.

HITMAN
02-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Fair enough... But... isn't the Prius brake issue something that Japan's Interior Ministry is making an issue of?

In a separate discussion, I agree 1000% with what Hitman said about the President exploiting a crisis to get an agenda through. I just think in this instance, that isn't the case. I may be behind the times here, but I thought that GM and Toyota have had several joint ventures, cars that are really Toyotas badged as GM products???

GM and Toyota had partnered in the past, but that was pre-bailout. Now it's Gubmint Motors, Toyota shit the bed and political grand-standing to it's fullest effect covered by a most willing media. Geez, back when Pintos were blowing up, Jeeps were rolling over and GM couldn't make a car that the paint wouldn't peel off of or the bumper wouldn't rot off of, I don't remember the sharks circling to this extent. Giant government conspiracy? Hardly. Taking major advantage of a competitors troubles to embarrass them and further your own crummy brand? Hell yes...