PDA

View Full Version : AK recommendations???

Crawlin
02-02-2010, 08:20 PM
So I hear that everyone has to have one, hahaha.

What ones should I look at and what type of things should I look for? Any specific brands?

Russ Jerome
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
There are a lot of suggestions out there, friend of mine loves these:
http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.shtml

Few names thrown around here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-92865.html

Rocket Power
02-02-2010, 10:18 PM
To me an ak is an ak as long as the sights are straight. I mean no AK is going to be a 1000yd sniper and they aren't made to win beauty contests. There are people who dis WASR's but they go bang everytime just like every other ak. I still have a kit to build but haven't gotten around to it yet.

But yeah , everyone should own an AK:goof

MurphysLaw88GT
02-03-2010, 12:38 AM
For Kalashnikov variants, what are you looking for in particular? Kalashnikovs come in a few general variations (really general, for Russian pattered nomenclature, otherwise too many different sub-variations to talk about).

AK47. (AKS-47 for underfolding stock)
The original. 7,62x39mm. Type I was a stamped receiver (did not manufacture nicely). Re-designed to Type II. It was a milled receiver this time. Type III was a simplified milled receiver to speed production .Old school. Semi-auto clones here in the states are more spendy for ones like these. Type II and III pattern are actually very high quality arms for what they are. Labor intensive to produce, too many machine operations.

AKM. (AKMS for underfolding stock)
Modernized AK. Stamped reciever. Most common type produced. Minor differences besides stamped receiver. Was adopted to simplify production while offering similar performance with less weight.

AK-74/AK-74M/AK-100 family. (AKS-74 for side-folding stock, Some AK100s also have side folder)
Today's AK. A modernized AKM. Chambered in 5.45x39mm . Overall lighter than AK/AKM. Small differences other than caliber from the AKM. Notable muzzle brake. The AK-100's are available in 5.56x45 and 7.62x39.

I left out a lot there, but oh well. Nice over-view.

First, what caliber. A few calibers to choose from. Such as 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm, and 5.56x45mm. Personally, I would get 5.45 for the ability to buy 2160 rounds for around 280 bucks or so (For NOW!!). Shoots nice, and cheap, so if you want to burn through lots of mags this is a good bet. This would limit you to AK-74s but that is not a downside IMO. I like shooting my AK-74 the best out of all. But the 7.62 ones have good punch and can be reasonably accurate also.

If you want a 7.62 Kalashnikov, handle a few and see what you like. They all work the same, and they will all work.

It boils down to personal preferences. I personally like the Polish AKMs I built the best from a quality standpoint. But I like the Yugoslavian M70 series because they are built like a tank compared to the rest (RPK front trunnion and 1.5mm sheetmetal recievers for grenade launching use). A quick rundown of some of the most popular.

Saiga... great . True Russian built. Most need converting to non-sporter style to look like a traditional Kalashnikov. but all the goodies are there. Convert one yourself or buy already done. Or buy a Saiga 12. A overgrown AK that is in 12GA. Bad ass. Worth the conversion. Still priced ok too.

Romanian... they are good, but catch a bad rap. WASRs suck at fit and finish (no mag-well dimples), but work great and are the cheapest. Look out for canted sights and gas blocks and lots of magazine wobble. Known for "trigger slap" also. Other Romy variants are a little nicer but a little more money. Typical "first AK" choice for most due to low price.

Yugo... Built like tanks. Beefy all around. Made to launch grenades from (whoop de do), but have heavier construction. NO CHROME LINED barrels with the Yugos. no big deal. Some with original barrels can be sewer pipes. Check first. Many today come with US made barrels so that is not much of a problem anymore. Can be had for a little more than others, but are way more rugged.

Bulgarian (Arsenal Inc). Really nice, usually more expensive. Comprehensive lineup of different configurations and chamberings of the AK/AKM/AK74-AK100 family.

Polish Tantal (WZ.88): due to Century these are some of the most readily available AK-74 style (not a direct copy of Russian pattern though). GET ONE WITH ORIGINAL BARREL. Most 5.45 (the cheap surplus) is corrosive, this will help. But most important, many of the US made barreled examples have incorrect .223 bore. Google search "Tantal Key-holing". Ones with the original barrel will shoot great and be more forgiving of corrosive ammo with the chrome lining. Most feature NDS receivers, that is a plus. Other than the minor issues, a great rifle if a good barrel.

Chineese. These are good, and the price keeps climbing due to China import ban. Great AKs.

Israeli Galil. I think Century calls them the "Golani" or some such. Cool enough. Milled receiver. 5.56x45mm . Designed after the Finnish Valmet AKs, but in 5.56. The US made receivers (sub-contracted by ORF) can sometimes have issues with hardness. Neat variant. Can get mag well adapters to run M16 mags... another plus?

the list goes on and on. These are just the most commonly encountered ones.

If you can, (unless a Yugo) get one with foreign made barrels, they are still chrome lined military barrels (important for the 5.45 ones, as some Tantals with US barrels use .223 bore for a .221 cartridge.... oops! Key-holing anyone?). If a domestic produced AK, the NDS (NoDAkSpud) recievers are great, I think the best receivers made here), and you will find these on lots of recent Century Arms guns as well as other builders.

Bottom line. How much do you want to pay for an AK? They all work the same. Depends on what you want it to look like. Some approach prices that I would not spend on a semi auto AK... Most can be had from 350-600 dollars depending on type. Or you can build one from a flat or a finished receiver if you want. If you had some land to use, you could try some of mine out to see what you liked. Who knows, after shooting them, you may realize you really fucking hate AKs. Nothing worse than buying something you end up hating.

If you want to build one yourself, I have all the parts to build one if you are interested. I do not "need" any more AKs right now. Plus a build party is coming real soon so you can go there and be done building within the day, without buying the tooling.

STANMAN
02-03-2010, 06:03 AM
To me an ak is an ak as long as the sights are straight. I mean no AK is going to be a 1000yd sniper and they aren't made to win beauty contests. There are people who dis WASR's but they go bang everytime just like every other ak. I still have a kit to build but haven't gotten around to it yet.

But yeah , everyone should own an AK:goof

=true. You can get a milled (pricey) or stamped (less pricey) reciever, but the one thing to really check is the sights. Law posted lots of good info in the thread above this one, but it all boils down to if the sights are straight, caliber, configuration, and how much you want to spend. Any AK with straight sights is a good AK!:thumbsup

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 07:00 AM
Wow, lots of good advice in both the link and from Law. Thanks a TON.

Basically I was thinking everyone saying, "you can pick up an AK for $500 so why not have one" so that's kinda what I was looking at. Reason being is I will be buying something else at the same time that will be a little more pricey.

If an extra $200-300 gets me a ton better, I'd do that. I won't shoot this very often cmopared to the other guns, so I'd prefer to stick with the 7.62nato stuff. And overall configuration I just want the classic look of the wood and metal. No underfolding, no "tactical" style ons, no plastic polymer stuff.

fivonut
02-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Wow, lots of good advice in both the link and from Law. Thanks a TON.

Basically I was thinking everyone saying, "you can pick up an AK for $500 so why not have one" so that's kinda what I was looking at. Reason being is I will be buying something else at the same time that will be a little more pricey.

If an extra $200-300 gets me a ton better, I'd do that. I won't shoot this very often cmopared to the other guns, so I'd prefer to stick with the 7.62nato stuff. And overall configuration I just want the classic look of the wood and metal. No underfolding, no "tactical" style ons, no plastic polymer stuff.

My brother bought a converted Saiga from these guys. Very nice looking rifle, quality looks good.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php

MurphysLaw88GT
02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
K-Var has nice stuff. I bought a lot of parts from there.

DurtyKurty
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I like the 5.45

It is nice

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 04:12 PM
any advantages to doing a dragunov style setup compared to just a regular AK? WOuldn't mind one of those, haha.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Like a PSL? Design wise they are an overgrown AK in 7.62x54R. Can be had for 500 some dollars with the LPS scope. Look somewhat like a SVD, but have nothing to do with each other parts-wise.

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 05:39 PM
ok, just saw some that were "conversions" which must just be a stock thing.

But yeah, like a PSL. Saw a bunch on gunbroker. Since this isn't something I'd shoot very often, trying to decide what's best for "fun"

STANMAN
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
ok, just saw some that were "conversions" which must just be a stock thing.

But yeah, like a PSL. Saw a bunch on gunbroker. Since this isn't something I'd shoot very often, trying to decide what's best for "fun"

Check Dunhams, they generally have AK's for about $360 on sale, and if you get someone who's not a prick, they will let you sort through them to get the best one of the lot, not just whatever they pick from in back.

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 06:14 PM
That's my problem, I won't know how to tell which one's best, haha. It took 20 minutes for someone just to COME to the outdoor side of the hwy100 dunham's the other day, haha.

STANMAN
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
That's my problem, I won't know how to tell which one's best, haha. It took 20 minutes for someone just to COME to the outdoor side of the hwy100 dunham's the other day, haha.

The sights are straight, with the least amount of general wear/slop. HWY 100 is the worst it seems like.

GTSLOW
02-03-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.shtml#SAIGA12V

Crawlin
02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
WOW... that's alot of dough :)

See for that much I'm doing a built AR the way I want it or a Sig556 since they got that $300 rebate.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I saw HWY had 2 Tantals there also.

Adamsy87
02-04-2010, 12:50 AM
Just picked up a Saiga in .308. Now I gotta do my conversion on it.

MurphysLaw88GT
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
If I could make a suggestion, a great alternative to an AK would be the Czech Vz.58. It is a little uglier, but is 7.62x39, and is milled and yet lighter than an AK. Kind of looks like an AK, but it is completely different from a mechanical standpoint, and the mags are not interchangeable with AK series. It is my opinion that they are nicer and feel like there is more quality in it. They are small and handy, and spare parts sets are cheap just in case you would ever need any. Food for thought.