PDA

View Full Version : Mark this day...

Prince Valiant
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
...Feb 1, 2010 @ 11:20am, temp 21F and calm winds. I flew my first solo!

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad349/sweetroscoe/firstsolo.jpg

It's been a hassle with winter weather trying to find a day either calm or even warm enough (instructor doesn't like doing pattern work at under 12F).

Because of that, I probably have far more landings under my belt than is typical at the point of ones first...~60-70 or so.

But that led to a real easy solo experience...all three landings were "good" with my 2nd on about as perfect as one could hope for (perfect flare, nose wheel on the centerline, touchdown so smooth and so straight that it was barely perceptible).

Critiquing my 1st and third would say that I wasn't as straight down the centerline as I wanted to be...but I worked to get it back onto the centerline, so naturally touched on one wheel...otherwise, it was smooth. 3rd touchdown I flared a little late (came in a little high, had full flaps out), nose wasn't as high as I'd like it to be on touchdown...still, a nice touchdown, but not the kind of landing I want to make routine.

I'll tell ya, when flying a little plane w/ 110hp, not having a passenger made a BIG difference in the climbing ability of the plane

Crawlin
02-01-2010, 02:57 PM
That's awesome Chris. I've always wanted to sign my dad up for that since he's wanted to for a long time. Where are the lessons again?

BAD LS1
02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Thats cool! Now time to take on something with a little more, THRUST if you will... You need a pair of "asshole glasses" like the old lady now!:goof

Rocket Power
02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Nice!:thumbsup

jimez1
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Very nice. Congrats. My learning was in a Cessna, not a Tomahwk. Have all your flights been in that? I have never flew it so just wondering how the handling is compared to a high wing, when it comes to spins and stalls.

lasttimearound
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
how many people on here have their licenses? we should have a rally, or breakfast flight out to janesville or something. we used to fly with all the old farts for RAC out to janesville all the time for breakfast. we have a 206 and a cherokee 6 (both might be going away for a cherokee 140 and a stol ch801 since its only my father and i or my father and mom going to indiana.

Prince Valiant
02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
That's awesome Chris. I've always wanted to sign my dad up for that since he's wanted to for a long time. Where are the lessons again?I go to Timmerman airport...I don't think there is a school at Waukesha. Really, there is never a bad time to start...schedule is pretty flexible.

Cost to get pilot certificate from start to finish, rental, ground school, fuel, medical certificate...everything is usually b/w 7-10G.

Thats cool! Now time to take on something with a little more, THRUST if you will... You need a pair of "asshole glasses" like the old lady now!:goof
I'm using amber shooting glasses right now...I really like it, since it blocks out the blue, and plane/objects tend to jump out at you. Far crisper than my instructor "top gun" type, lol.

BAD LS1
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I go to Timmerman airport...I don't think there is a school at Waukesha. Really, there is never a bad time to start...schedule is pretty flexible.

Cost to get pilot certificate from start to finish, rental, ground school, fuel, medical certificate...everything is usually b/w 7-10G.

I'm using amber shooting glasses right now...I really like it, since it blocks out the blue, and plane/objects tend to jump out at you. Far crisper than my instructor "top gun" type, lol.

Let me know if u venture into Jet flying, ive yet to be able to talk any pilot into do a big spool up against the brakes and straight to take off power for a short take off! Perhaps i could convince you? lol

Prince Valiant
02-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Very nice. Congrats. My learning was in a Cessna, not a Tomahwk. Have all your flights been in that? I have never flew it so just wondering how the handling is compared to a high wing, when it comes to spins and stalls.Mine is actually a beech skipper (ME77)...great little plane. Looks exactly like the tomahawk, but with a wider wing chord.

Fly's real nice...but is less stable than a high wing (I'm told). I haven't flown either a 152/172 yet to really compare. Some of the guys tell me I'll look like a pro when I do get in a high wing.

As far as stall, power off is easy and predictable...power-on stalls are white knuckle affairs. You really have to work at it to keep the ball centered...and even if it just a little off, it wants to spin. My instructor (pictured) nearly put us in a spin the first time she demonstrated a power on stall..."don't worry, this is normal..." she said :goof

Twice I've nearly entered into an unintentional spin while doing power on stalls...with the low wing and wing design of this thing, you really have to quick get on the opposite rudder...this plane won't fly itself out like the cesena's

Though spins aren't mandatory to be certified pilot, we'll probably do some later on.

how many people on here have their licenses? we should have a rally, or breakfast flight out to janesville or something. we used to fly with all the old farts for RAC out to janesville all the time for breakfast. we have a 206 and a cherokee 6 (both might be going away for a cherokee 140 and a stol ch801 since its only my father and i or my father and mom going to indiana.That'd be cool...spring sometime?

Exitspeed
02-01-2010, 03:32 PM
That's pretty cool man. Congrats.

Prince Valiant
02-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Let me know if u venture into Jet flying, ive yet to be able to talk any pilot into do a big spool up against the brakes and straight to take off power for a short take off! Perhaps i could convince you? lolI probably can't afford to go that far...the instructor, I can afford...renting the plane, not so much :goof

WhatsADSM
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Congrats man.. Gotta be an awesome feeling!

Holeshot
02-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Very Cool Chris. Soon you will flying an AirBus 380.

Oh Yeah I forgot they fly themself and crash by wire.

Greg@GLD
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Congrats! Very cool!

moels
02-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Congrats Chris! That is quite the accomplishment.

BAD LS1
02-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Very Cool Chris. Soon you will flying an AirBus 380.

Oh Yeah I forgot they fly themself and crash by wire.

The A320 was the first at mastering that:durr

bzD4tIvPHwE

awsomeears
02-01-2010, 07:58 PM
1st off congratulations that is plain out Awesome !!!

Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go

Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone

Headin' into twilight
Spreadin' out her wings tonight
She got you jumpin' off the track
And shovin' into overdrive

I'll take you
Right into the Danger Zone

You'll never say hello to you
Until you get it on the red line overload
You'll never know what you can do
Until you get it up as high as you can go

Out along the edges
Always where I burn to be
The further on the edge
The hotter the intensity

Gonna take you
Right into the Danger Zone

hrsp
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!

Yooformula
02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Kick ass Chris! Congrats!

HITMAN
02-03-2010, 01:45 AM
Very cool. Taking flight instruction is something I've always thought about doing, but never seem to be able to take time or spend the money. Who's the guy in the picture, your instructor? :D

michelle
02-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Awesome! Now let's see some tricks!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F70tClnEKQI&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F70tClnEKQI&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

HITMAN
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Awesome! Now let's see some tricks! Yeah tricks. That would be cool. Just try and stay away from "Roll over and play dead." :wooo

Prince Valiant
02-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Who's the guy in the picture, your instructor? :Dlol...Danielle is a great instructor; kind of a perfectionist, but I don't mind that one bit. But I won't lie...part of the reason that I selected her is because in the tiny skipper, it's not too hard to exceed the maximum wt that the plane is rated for...even with her, I have to carry 3/4 a tank to keep from exceeding it's rating.

lilws6
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
The A320 was the first at mastering that:durr

bzD4tIvPHwE

lol oh no oh no oh no