PDA

View Full Version : Where should I got to get my taxes done?

Deggy
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
I was thinking about just going to H&R Block but if there are places that you guys would recommend, any tips would be nice.

DirtyMax
01-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Do you have a lot of complicated stuff? If not, just use Turbo Tax or HR Block's online program. No sense paying someone to do something you would likely be able to do yourself no sweat.

Yooformula
01-31-2010, 05:48 PM
any online tax service is easy enough and walks you through all deductions and you only pay when you file them so you can decide if you want to go elsewhere or not. I think it was like $19.95 for both.

05caddyext
01-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Make sure you claim the Making Work Pay credit if you do them yourself.

SSLEVO
01-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I've used Tax Act online for the past 3-4 years. I just pay the 19.99 and file both returns online, get my money in my checking account 2 weeks later. I am also single and rent, the most complicated thing was my student loans and financial aid. I will be getting married and possibly be buying a house this year so the next return might not be so simple.

pashtrd
01-31-2010, 06:12 PM
You can do both for free if they are simple. H&R Block and Turbo Tax both offer free federal. You can go here: http://www.dor.state.wi.us/ to file your state of wisconsin for free.

michelle
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
I've used Tax Act online for the past 3-4 years. I just pay the 19.99 and file both returns online, get my money in my checking account 2 weeks later. I am also single and rent, the most complicated thing was my student loans and financial aid. I will be getting married and possibly be buying a house this year so the next return might not be so simple.

Even then, it really walks you through it. I used Turbo Tax and got as far as I could before filing. I will be using taxact.com and H&R online and see if I come up with the same result before printing and sending it in (I think I have to mail it in because of the $8k tax credit).

CPonyGo
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Tax Act for 9 years now..17 95 to file both ..have them done and should have my monies in a day or so now.,..did it uncomplicated and when I owned a house...very easy..ftw

Gregor
01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
I send mine in. I would never go to H&R Block, alot of my friends got burned by them. I have had great luck with the Tax People on Greenfield. But some use the DIY approach and I have nothing but respect for that. To chicken shit to go that route.

0TransAm0
01-31-2010, 09:15 PM
Make sure you claim the Making Work Pay credit if you do them yourself.

what does this get you?

jbiscuit
01-31-2010, 09:20 PM
do NOT go to H&R Block. Total ripoff

theavenger333
01-31-2010, 09:23 PM
what does this get you?

got me $400. i do mine and my roomates as well as a few others on turbotax online, and use the regular state website. if you can't follow the instructions to do it, you got issues, they're so simple.

05caddyext
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
The making work pay credit was part of the latest stimulus package. You supposedly should have seen like 12-15 bucks more in your paychecks over the past 6 months or so. The $400 credit helps ensure that you don't end up owing money because you made more. It offsets the increase in your paychecks but it has to be claimed by you, you don't automatically get it and you will miss out if you don't actually pick it when you do your taxes.

Rocket Power
01-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Tax Act for 9 years now..17 95 to file both ..have them done and should have my monies in a day or so now.,..did it uncomplicated and when I owned a house...very easy..ftw

We've been using it for the last few years, works great.

BAD LS1
02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
What would be the reccomendation if you had a mental-ass year with all sorts of new tax related shit? I dont have the nerve to handle this much shit and do it on my own... Not really about paying the $200 to a place like H&R... Whys is that H&R so bad too? Couple of complaints on here and no reason why??

-House bought in 09': 8k tax credit
-New Baby: Tax write off
-Wife claiming unemployment: Having to pay the taxes on that
-Brand new car purchased in 09': Tax write off allowed for that supposedly.

animal
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
What would be the reccomendation if you had a mental-ass year with all sorts of new tax related shit? I dont have the nerve to handle this much shit and do it on my own... Not really about paying the $200 to a place like H&R... Whys is that H&R so bad too? Couple of complaints on here and no reason why??

You just need a friend that works for H&R = $20/yr to have your taxes done on their friends/family discount. :banana1::banana

Note: i have zero complaints with them.

buttersgt350
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
$200 for h$r. i had mine done there last year and it was over $300, i think like $360. i asked how much it would be before we started and she said it depeneds on what i had for deductions and shit, she figured around $270. i said ok lets do it. then at the end they tell you your bill. she says oops i was a little off. that place is a scam.

SSLEVO
02-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Tax act walks you through the entire process, i can't see missing anything really???

WhatsADSM
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
In general I would say if your taxes are simple enough then you can probably use the regular software packages and they will do a fine job. If you have something more complicated that you want someone to look at I have a great reference.

It is RDK tax in west allis. The guy does a FANTASTIC job, he has fixed some of my past returns which other tax people have messed up and he is very reasonable on cost. He is just an honest guy that is a CPA as his main job, but recently started up a small business for personal tax returns. IIRC for federal and state its between $100-$200. Hell even when I had my small business and got married, and bought a house, and sold the business I still think it was only $200.

I'm at work now but once I get home I'll look for his card and post up the info.

Silver350
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I go to Acc-U-Rite tax service (corner of Forest home ave and Howard ave). My taxes this year was $80 but I only have a W2, no family no house nothing so it is cheap. You can drop off your taxes and they will call when they are done or you can wait. I recommend going in early in the morning. I got there on friday at 9am and was leaving at 9:15am

88Nightmare
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
I go to Acc-U-Rite tax service (corner of Forest home ave and Howard ave). My taxes this year was $80 but I only have a W2, no family no house nothing so it is cheap. You can drop off your taxes and they will call when they are done or you can wait. I recommend going in early in the morning. I got there on friday at 9am and was leaving at 9:15am

$80? holy fuck. I always used turbo tax for like $20 and I used to think that was too much :rolf

mr.gone1985
02-02-2010, 09:52 AM
SVA in Brookfield.

pOrk
02-02-2010, 03:43 PM

There is nothing hard about your taxes, get turbo tax ALL of that is in there :thumbsup Well, I dunno about the new car thing, but it does ask you if you had any kids or bought a house and all that stuff. I did mine via tt, I'm just waiting on my check now :thumbsup

Deggy
02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm just gonna learn how to do them myself. I guess I'm 23 now, time to stop having my mom do them for me! :goof

I'm gonna use TurboTax.

buttersgt350
02-21-2010, 06:10 PM
just did my taxes today with turbo-tax. $66 and about 1 hour of time for my first time doing my own taxes was well worth it. between state and federal im getting about $1000. definitely recommend this.:thumbsup