PDA

View Full Version : Any home builders here?

badass88gt
01-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Any home builders on here? Looking at building a house up here but would like to get some unbiased opinions on a few things. Anyone?

CATNHAT
01-31-2010, 10:25 AM
what kind of opinions? builders, materials, selections, style, resale, cost????

TransAm12sec
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
My dad's an Architect, I'd like to be too if I was better at drawing.

My bias is a 5 car garage with a lift.

What would you like to know?

lordairgtar
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
7 car garage with house attached

badass88gt
01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I am mainly looking for recommendations on things like windows, doors, stuff like that. We want a house that will hold the heat and air in when it runs, our place right now is terrible. I've gotten some ideas like triple glaze double argon PVC windows, insulated doors, looking for general things to make it a little more efficient. Also looking for opinions on rolled VS. Blown-in insulation in the walls and attic. I believe min. code is R50 in the attic and R19 in the walls, was thinking of requesting extra on both? It's my understanding that I can go with R21 insulation in the same thickness as R19, and foundation insulation is also a big deal.

SSLEVO
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure what windows you are looking at but the quality of most vinyl windows leavs something to be desired.

badass88gt
01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
This is one recommendation i got:

The windows we use are pvc with triple glazed(pane),double low E(heat mirror or other reflective film) with double argon. They are the most efficient windows around and the pvc has no maintenance unlike wood. These sealed units are an r value of 8.2 compared to a 2 on a double glazed with no film or argon. Make sure that after the windows and doors are installed the contractor uses low expanding foam around them to seal from air infiltration. Also one of the largest area's of heat loss on your house is at the rim board on the end of you're floor joists. Typically most builders will just use an r-12 batt in it, but I started using spray in expanding foam. It is a r- value of about 10 per inch so spray 3" to 4".

Max 93
02-01-2010, 02:30 PM
you could call PEA Builders. They do a lot with super efficient homes. If you want their number let me know.