PDA

View Full Version : 95 cobra brake swap questions

73MACH
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Are there any dual piston rear calipers from another year/model car that will fit my 95 cobra? I have a seized one that needs to be replaced and I am going over all my options. Or......does anyone have any cobra calipers that work and want to get rid of them??????????

Thanks for your time!!

-stew-
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Don't quote me, but I *think* all SN95 rear brakes use the same caliper. GT and V6 have the same rear brakes, and cobras use the same diameter rotor, only the Cobra one is vented and a lot thicker, using a different mounting bracket and the same pads but with less friction material (to make up for the thickness of the vented rotor) than the GT/V6 brakes.

Local parts store doesn't have one?

-stew-
01-29-2010, 01:35 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page8.html

Gregor
01-29-2010, 03:06 PM
We can get rear calipers at work with brackets, just cant get the anti-moan braces.

Cobras only came with single piston rear calipers. As for the fronts, sometimes the aftermaket calipers have the "COBRA" milled off due to licencing issues. I have seen that with wagners. They only came in dual 38mm setups. The newer PBR calipers (99-04)have dual pistons which are bigger but the rotors are smaller so the brakes are slightly less powerful.

Your gonna have to replace them with Cobra calipers for years 94-98. Because Machs dont have "cobra" on them they wont match with the other side.

There was a great site but its no longer around. But it gave all the piston sizes for all the Fox brake systems.

Deggy
01-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't quote me, but I *think* all SN95 rear brakes use the same caliper. GT and V6 have the same rear brakes, and cobras use the same diameter rotor, only the Cobra one is vented and a lot thicker, using a different mounting bracket and the same pads but with less friction material (to make up for the thickness of the vented rotor) than the GT/V6 brakes.

Local parts store doesn't have one?

My sister had a V6, and I think the rear brakes were drum brakes, but I could be wrong too. I never really "looked" at them. So don't quote me on this either.

73MACH
01-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys!

-stew-
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
My sister had a V6, and I think the rear brakes were drum brakes, but I could be wrong too. I never really "looked" at them. So don't quote me on this either.

All 1994 and newer Ford Mustangs are four wheel disc brakes.