PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Tranny questions help

scubastang
05-21-2004, 08:35 AM
Problem:

Well my beata car I drive now is the first auto tranny I have ever owned and the sucker is startin to slip (its always shifted kind of hard)! Yesterday after stop and go traffic for a long time, I would slow down to a stop sign and when I finally stopped the tranny would not downshift and then after about 2-5 seconds would "clunk" hard into the low gear. Yesterday when I got home after this it took about 5 seconds to finally go into reverse when I tried (it must have been really hot)

Solution(?):

I added some of the good tranny additive, but I really want to change the fluid/filter. My question is should I get it flushed? This is a beata and I don't like stickin money into it but I need to have a working tranny :crying

Goodyear charged $80 for a flush and $130 for flush and change. **** I can change the filter myself but it the "flush" really neccesary?

Also is a magnet neccessary in the pan? (or is my tranny F'd anyways so who cares?)

Thanks guys for any suggestons/help! :banana

Prince Valiant
05-21-2004, 09:08 AM
Cosidering that when you don't flush you leave more than 1/2 the volume of fluid in the TC and cooler (if so equiped) the flush option is a pretty good one and the best option...like you alluded to it is somewhat expensive though and might not be worth it as it might not solve your problem :(

Syclone0044
05-21-2004, 06:22 PM
I change all my own automatic tranny fluids & filters but be aware ahead of time, how big of a mess this job actually is. It's like a 5 gallon red grease waterfall over a 2x2 foot area. With splashing; even on a lift.

You didn't state what the fluid level or condition was when you pulled the dipstick, I wonder about that before giving advice on the condition of the tranny. However once they start to slip it's quite rare the tranny "recovers".

Brian98GTP
05-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Also, on a tranny that has a ton of miles on it, flushing/changing the fluid might make drivability worse... It will uncover 'hidden' problems in the trans. that are already there... If your tranny fluid smells burnt there is a good chance your bands are burnt. The big problem with new ATF is the detergents. They dissolve the burnt bands and your tranny will start slipping worse. It's a pay now or pay later situation.
I change my fluid/filter about 3-4 times a year...

A B4C Z
05-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Doing it your self is EASY! Just dont take all the bolts out. Let one corner hang a little and slowly remove a few bolts from the front, back. That way it only runs out one corner. Also i reccomend the huge "washer catch pan" (there white in color) that they sell at mendards. Its made to go under wash machines incase they over flow a touch or leak there like 1 1/2 -2 inches hight around the side. They are like 15 bucks but belive me even when changing your oil on a windy day you put a regular bucket in the pan and nothing gets on the driveway.

Kyle

Brian98GTP
05-21-2004, 07:41 PM
Thats the method I use too Kyle.. but other people I know use one of those pumps from Auto Zone, or Advance Auto Parts....
You just stick the hose down the Fill Tube, and pump out as much fluid as you can into a pan/bucket... THEN remove the pan.. They say its a lot cleaner job doing it that way... I'll probably do it that way the next time I change the fluid, which will be within the next week or so....(if it ever stops raining...) :crying

scubastang
05-24-2004, 12:43 AM
Also, on a tranny that has a ton of miles on it, flushing/changing the fluid might make drivability worse... It will uncover 'hidden' problems in the trans. that are already there... If your tranny fluid smells burnt there is a good chance your bands are burnt. The big problem with new ATF is the detergents. They dissolve the burnt bands and your tranny will start slipping worse. It's a pay now or pay later situation.
I change my fluid/filter about 3-4 times a year...

guys I have changed plenty of auto tranny fluids before, but my question was about the actual tranny and the "flushing" that a shop wants to charge $80 to do.

Well the car has 100K on it and the ATF fluid is always a clean looking red and at the correct levels and smells like good ATF - not burnt etc.

Brian - if this is the case, do you even recommend that I bother changeing the fluid/filter? I guess what is the best course of action for me to take as yes I assume the bands are burnt already and the f'er is gonna slowly get worse.

MoreTorque
05-24-2004, 01:10 AM
If you are going to get a flush, I would find a shop that uses the BG flush. It seems to work wonders. Just dropping the pan and changing the fluid will not remove the varnish and buildup in the trans.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/

Before you try the flush, dump some Lubegard Red in there. Again, its a product that actually does help and work. It can be had for about $10 from Napa.

Brian98GTP
05-24-2004, 09:38 AM
Brian - if this is the case, do you even recommend that I bother changeing the fluid/filter? I guess what is the best course of action for me to take as yes I assume the bands are burnt already and the f'er is gonna slowly get worse.

I personally would call a reputable tranny shop and see what they can do for you.... I think youre just going to have to get the bands replaced and some other minor service adjustments.... It shouldnt cost much....
..but Im also not a tranny expert, so Im not Totally sure.. :confused :)

Keep us posted on the topic...If you take it in, let us know... Im curious how much something like this costs for future reference.... :cool2:

wikked
05-24-2004, 11:05 PM
If it's slipping you could just be low on fluid is all.

You's dont have drain plugs on your tranny pan? That's gotta suck :)
Magnets are highly recommended for the pan, you don't want shavings or a broken snap ring (found 1 on my magnets) running thru/clogging the filter.

Wannarace62188
05-27-2004, 05:40 PM
I have similar probs with my tranny too (auto) except mine has no trouble shifting down only up. First to second is ok a little hard there but to go three and so on i have to get it to like almost 4 grand which is far normally shifting at around 2 grand. I have checked the fluid and it is fine and color is fine. I did see that the kickback cable was sticky tho. I fixed that and lubed it so it worked fine for like 2 weeks but its doing it again so is there a way to fix that, which wont cost to much.. I looked at the cable again but this time it is good. i already got a rear main to fix so i dont have much money to fix the tranny. Got any ideas?

scubastang
06-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Update: Dumped 2 bottles of Napa red bottle Lubeguard in and baM!!! its runnin smooth now! I am guessing it might go back to its nasty ways once it gets damn hot outside though :rolleyes:

MoreTorque
06-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Update: Dumped 2 bottles of Napa red bottle Lubeguard in and baM!!! its runnin smooth now! I am guessing it might go back to its nasty ways once it gets damn hot outside though :rolleyes:

Glad it worked for ya!