PDA

View Full Version : REDBOX movie rentals.....

Car Guy
01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Curious how many people use redbox, if anybody still rents movies the 'old fashioned way' like me. The selection in nowhere near the size of Blockbuster or Netflix but for $1 per rental/per day you can't go wrong if you find something of interest.....

07ROUSHSTG3
01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
my sis picks up movies all the time from those things. can't go wrong for $1.00. and i am pretty sure that if you forget to return the thing, you just get charged $20 and get to keep the movie.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
In my weekend evening travels everywhere I see them there is usually always a person there and many times a person waiting. I didnt really get them at first probably due to me not being a "movie person" but after thinking about them I can see why they are popular and understand why they can rent so cheap.
I remember in the mid 80's when most movie rental places were neighborhood places and usually mom and pop owned, 1 copy of each video and you could get on a waiting list for the new release. Weird Karma, Blockbuster killed the mom and pops and are now being killed themselves by mail order movie and fricken vending machines. Maybe I'm wrong and blockbuster is doing great ?

07ROUSHSTG3
01-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Maybe I'm wrong and blockbuster is doing great ?

no, you are correct. blockbuster is dying a slow painful death. i think they made the list of "companies that will not be around in 10 years".

TheRX7Project
01-28-2010, 03:46 PM
I use REDBOX and I love it. Most of the older obscure movies I'd like to rent from Blockbuster / Family Video / etc. they don't have anyway.

I.E. Meet the Feebles, the original Gone in 60 Seconds (thankfully I own it), Hollywood Knights, Hot Rod, the old Italian Job... nobody has them anyway.

DSMDuDE
01-28-2010, 03:56 PM
I use Redbox often...

pOrk
01-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Redbox is awesome, we tried to save money and canceled all out extra stuff like Netflix and RedBox works as an awesome filler when we are looking for something to do on the cheap

WhatsADSM
01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
We also use redbox on occasion. It's not bad, essentially $1 per day. Although depending on the redbox it can get a little busy and you have to wait to use the kiosk.

Rocket Power
01-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Redbox is the only way we rent movies

MurphysLaw88GT
01-28-2010, 05:54 PM
i use it

FoxStang
01-28-2010, 05:55 PM
My gf uses it all the time, and I can see why, $1 and there's a fair amount of titles, plus it can be returned to any other Redbox location. I never rented movies from Blockbuster or the like because I always thought it was a ripoff. But $1 per movie per night is very reasonable.

-stew-
01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
When I do rent a flick it go to the corner mom and pop joint by my house.

moels
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I do the Blockbuster through the mail thing and it is a bargain with as many movies as I get through in a month. When I need one on the spur of the moment, Redbox is awesome for that.

Z28Envy
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
I like redbox though I seem to get charged an extra day or sometimes 2. The movies are not brought back late either. Sometimes I have them for only a few hours and take them back. When I check my card there is an extra charge. Calling them is useless. Anyone else have this happen? I've done google searches and it seems like they do it all the time.

Dasred
01-28-2010, 08:32 PM
When I do rent a flick it go to the corner mom and pop joint by my house.

Bucky's Super Video by any chance?
I've been meaning to check that place out.

Car Guy
01-28-2010, 08:54 PM
I like redbox though I seem to get charged an extra day or sometimes 2. The movies are not brought back late either. Sometimes I have them for only a few hours and take them back. When I check my card there is an extra charge. Calling them is useless. Anyone else have this happen? I've done google searches and it seems like they do it all the time.

I've never had a problem with them charging an unwarranted late fee.....:confused

-stew-
01-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Bucky's Super Video by any chance?
I've been meaning to check that place out.

Yeah. Typical corner video store. They sell a lot of movie posters. It's close and I prefer giving my money to local indy businesses.

CATNHAT
01-28-2010, 09:13 PM
sell blockbuster short.

Silver03SRT
01-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Ive used redbox for a year or so now and it is very convenient. The nice this is you can rent from one redbox and take it back to another. I had a problem once where I tried to return a movie and the machine was broken I called and they said they will credit my card and they emailed me a password for 5 free movies.

xxtremeteam
01-28-2010, 10:41 PM
I hear redbox is owned by mcdonalds cant find any proof to that or care we use them at least 5 or 6 times a month for a 1.00 I can always find something to rent getting the newest hottest release can be hard but so what rent a 2nd or 3rd choice your only out 1.00

Car Guy
01-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I hear redbox is owned by mcdonalds cant find any proof

That would not surprise me one bit, redbox machines are at many (if not every) McDonald's and those locations are pushed on the website like no other.....

xxtremeteam
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
That would not surprise me one bit, redbox machines are at many (if not every) McDonald's and those locations are pushed on the website like no other.....

wish i could remember where I read this at?

Car Guy
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbox

wrath
01-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Never used Redbox but we gave up on Blockbuster and Blockbuster through the mail. It started taking 4-5 days turnaround in the mail. We now have netflix's $9 plan and stream everything through the bluray player. The other half probably averages a movie every other day. And it costs less than a couple one day new release's at Blockbuster. She just keeps on top of the single movie we get through the mail so we don't end up getting sent junk.

Car Guy
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
We now have netflix's $9 plan and stream everything through the bluray player.

I don't know much about the streaming service through Netflix but my cousin also has it using an Xbox. How does the selection compare to Blockbuster, Netflix via mail, redbox, etc...???

wrath
01-29-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't know much about the streaming service through Netflix but my cousin also has it using an Xbox. How does the selection compare to Blockbuster, Netflix via mail, redbox, etc...???

The streaming service isn't bad, but TWC's crap network won't let you get HD in the evening. The selection is much smaller when it comes to streaming, won't find many new releases. So new releases we get via mail. It's definitely worth the $9/month.

Moparjim
01-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I do the Blockbuster through the mail thing and it is a bargain with as many movies as I get through in a month. When I need one on the spur of the moment, Redbox is awesome for that.

I do the similar but much better in store version. They really don't advertise it or even tell you about it, and they keep trying to get me to change to the mail version...

The in store version is AWESOME. I can just turn in the 2 movies for 2 new ones in store which is 3 minutes from my house. Anytime. Any amount of times. Every day, more than once a day if your psycotic lol. No waiting for mail, new releases, etc.

Car Guy
01-29-2010, 12:48 PM
I do the similar but much better in store version. They really don't advertise it or even tell you about it, and they keep trying to get me to change to the mail version...

The in store version is AWESOME. I can just turn in the 2 movies for 2 new ones in store which is 3 minutes from my house. Anytime. Any amount of times. Every day, more than once a day if your psycotic lol. No waiting for mail, new releases, etc.

Is the version you have available to new customers...??? I would sign up today if it is.....

URLOZIN
02-06-2010, 04:42 PM
I use red box all the time! Love it!

nismodave
02-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Used it for the first time last night....I like it.

Car Guy
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-10449940-261.html