PDA

View Full Version : Itunes question--syncing

badass88gt
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I just got this phone, I wanted to add a picture to it, so when I open itunes I see the Apps at checked to sync. I already have all the apps on the phone, so when I uncheck "sync apps" it tells me they will all be erased off the phone? Do I have to sync all the apps every time I want to add a song or photo to the phone?

FoxStang
01-27-2010, 06:26 PM
There should be a separate tab for photos, songs, etc. from the apps with their own respective syncing options.

badass88gt
01-27-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah but doesn't it sync everything that's checked off on each tab? That's why I wanted to uncheck "sync apps" but it told me everything for apps on the phone would be erased. Is that correct?

FoxStang
01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't think so, it just wouldn't keep a record of your apps on your comp, I'm about 90% sure on this, I don't see why it would delete them. Why would you want to un-sync apps in the first place?

badass88gt
01-28-2010, 01:16 AM
You're not following me. When I go into iTunes and click on the photos tab, I check "sync photos" then I go into apps and uncheck "sync apps" because I don't need to sync them, they are already synced to my phone. When I uncheck it, iTunes tells me all apps will be deleted off the phone if I uncheck it. All I want to do is add a picture to my phone, I don't need to add any apps, that's why I unchecked the box.

FoxStang
01-28-2010, 01:28 AM
There's an option on the summary page to sync automatically or not, just make changes to your photos and songs, I doubt it will delete them from your phone, since you just got it I don't imagine you have that many apps, try it. I think it just means that any saved data won't be transferred to the comp in case you need to back up your iphone.

badass88gt
01-28-2010, 01:36 AM
I will have to look into it, I saw that automatic option. I have about 50 apps that ive downloaded, most are freebies but a couple I bought. All I want to do is put a picture on my phone and iTunes has already pissed me off, lol. Probably operator error....

PureSound15
01-28-2010, 08:50 AM
You need to have the apps syncd, from what I understand. That ensures that whether you purchase them from your phone or Itunes on your CPU, that they don't get deleted from either.

Why not have them sync? It takes a few seconds anyways.

xxtremeteam
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
with my ipod touch I always sync the apps as well as pics/music everytime I sync it I will also do the same next month when I pick up the iphone

Josepy
01-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Smarter than the phone Dan :) Let it sync it all. It goes quick.

Doc Brown
01-28-2010, 09:31 AM
I feel your pain, as this has been an area of contention between Apple and myself for a long while. I have a 1st gen ipod touch, and while the syncing of the ipod itself to my computer is not the issue, the backing up of each and every application and bit of data I store on the ipod is a HUGE problem because it takes hours and hours and hours to do so, all before I can add or delete a single song from my playlist. The problem is that this backup occurs simultaneously each and every time I sync, so I have no choice in the matter if I want to enjoy any updated content on my ipod. When I tried to complain to Apple about this, all they said was, "maybe they'll fix that in the next update."

The option for the automatic sync that FoxStang is talking about refers only to whether or not your ipod will automatically sync up to your computer when you first hook it up, as opposed to you manually clicking the button to do so. Believe me, I've tried that. I think this is one of those issues where Apple just doesn't give a shit because it's been years since the ipod touch has been available, and if the problem hasn't been rectified by now, it never will.