PDA

View Full Version : Xbox repair

Gregor
01-27-2010, 05:16 PM
My brother has a xbox 360 that no longer plays DVD or games. Everything else works. In fact it has been used for a few months. But it does not have the RROD. Since you can pick up a xbox 360 for the cheap with the RROD on craigslist is it possible to buy one for parts and make one good one? I really want to get into Forza 3 and race with you guys but, at $350 for rig and game the wife isnt buying it.

If I crack it open will that ban it?

Thanks.

Nix
01-27-2010, 05:41 PM
Only if you mod it will it get banned, that is if they were to catch it. If you are just doing a simple repair then the answer is not, it will not get banned and you will be safe. The only thing will be is that if you ever did choose to have any warranty/factory work done to it they wouldn't honor the warranty cuz the seal was broken.

But Im guessing its an older model and the warranty has been up for some time?

Also, I thought there was a member here on the board who used someone and highly reccomended them?

Yooformula
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
not worth it imo. once you see how its fixed you really dont want to take a chance with some of the half assed fixed boxes out there. from what I was told the dvd drive is assigned to the unit and cant easily be swapped without reassigning it by going into the xbox firmware.

Gregor
01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
All I need is a new drive. I repair ipods and cellphones on the side. And I am a pretty fair electronics repairman.

Im not modding it, just fixing it. So unless they hardwire it to the mainboard (and I have the tools to deal with that) or do something stupid like serialize the drive I am in like flint..

$30 for a RROD box + $20 for my brothers + $60 for Forza 3 and a Live account is better than $350 starting with all new.

Thanks yoo's for the heads up on the drive. will have to look into that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqqWUrQ3e2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWIbCn6nwzg&feature=response_watch

88Nightmare
01-29-2010, 02:52 AM
yoo, only the first gen 360 have the drive assigned to the motherboard. You can reassign a new drive, but you need to extract the code from your old drive and flash it to the new one. this is possible provided the old mini-board in the old drive isn't fried. New 360 drive swaps are as simple as plug and play... just gotta make sure you get the same brand. its an easy job. pm me and I should be able to get it done for ya.