PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to my nightmare.....

Car Guy
01-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Here is the situation:

I have someone who is seriously interested in my `00 SVT Contour coming this weekend to look at it. The problem is it desperately needs to be washed and I obviously can't outside before the weekend. Yes I could go somewhere to get washed but it doesn't run and won't without major engine work. I can move it with a tow strap but would like to make the trip as short as possible for obvious reasons.....

Please post up if you have any ideas, my brain hurts from thinking too much.....:durr

~Justin :thumbsup

wrath
01-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Go get a power washer and hook it up to the drain on your hot water heater. That's how I did it for years. I'd do it where I live now but I've only got 60' of hose here.

nismodave
01-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Wash it outside with some hot water, then move inside garage with a propane heater going.

Lash
01-26-2010, 08:42 PM
This is your nightmare?

Must be nice...lol.

GTSLOW
01-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Didn't someone on here sell something called exelawash? It was expensive if I remember correctly but worked??

Nix
01-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Didn't someone on here sell something called exelawash? It was expensive if I remember correctly but worked??

Dan? aka y2kws6?

y2kws6
01-26-2010, 09:18 PM
I still have some instock if needed. waterless car wash, but is the car outside? It might still freeze on contact (Still a liquid). If the car is covered in dust and grime it works great, but if it is mud you will have to put a couple coats on it.

Dan

PM me if interested.

Yooformula
01-26-2010, 09:25 PM
the excelawash wasnt expensive and yes Dan aka Y2KWS6 sells it. I had to wash mine in the cold and used a bucket with hot water to wash and a buckt with luke warm to rinse and used a microfiber for a fast dry.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-26-2010, 09:55 PM
This is your nightmare?

Must be nice...lol.

:rolf

Car Guy
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
This is your nightmare?

Must be nice...lol.

Yes it is, don't see how it is nice. I've been trying to sell this thing for ever and to my surprise have had very little interest. I didn't realize how dirty it was until looking closely today and freaked out. It looks like shit and must be cleaned before showing it to someone. This person wanted to see it tomorrow but I was able to set something up this weekend.....

Go get a power washer and hook it up to the drain on your hot water heater. That's how I did it for years. I'd do it where I live now but I've only got 60' of hose here.

Wash it outside with some hot water, then move inside garage with a propane heater going.

Guys I thought of that and have done it before but not when this cold. My driveway would be a skating rink after I'm done.....:banana1:

SSLEVO
01-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Use anti-freeze and some soap???

Lol, just kidding, do not do that. I think some warm water and a towed to dry quick would work. Just do one panel at a time.

FoxStang
01-27-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes it is, don't see how it is nice. I've been trying to sell this thing for ever and to my surprise have had very little interest. I didn't realize how dirty it was until looking closely today and freaked out. It looks like shit and must be cleaned before showing it to someone. This person wanted to see it tomorrow but I was able to set something up this weekend.....

Guys I thought of that and have done it before but not when this cold. My driveway would be a skating rink after I'm done.....:banana1:
Last parts a simple fix, plenty of salt, it'll melt eventually when it cracks 0 degrees or so :rolf

Voodoo Chick
01-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Maybe this is too simplistic a solution, or maybe I'm missing something.....but whatever happened to a bucket, a sponge, and some rags?? I've washed my car this way in winter......it's a pain, but it works.

Exitspeed
01-27-2010, 09:24 AM
http://catalog.ehgriffith.com/images/MI-B50810.jpg

+

http://www.matchstickweb.com/blog/blogger/uploaded_images/ms-787544.jpg

:durr

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 09:30 AM
^^^ That is how I feel Mel.....:D

Maybe this is too simplistic a solution, or maybe I'm missing something.....but whatever happened to a bucket, a sponge, and some rags?? I've washed my car this way in winter......it's a pain, but it works.

When the wind chill was 0* or below...??? :wooo

My driveway would be a skating rink after I'm done.....:banana1:

07ROUSHSTG3
01-27-2010, 09:35 AM
if the car doesn't move, is the guy really going to care that it is dirty?

BoosTT
01-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Just use quick detailer. It actually works pretty good, unless there is caked on mud.

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 09:45 AM
if the car doesn't move, is the guy really going to care that it is dirty?

With the limited interest in it over the past year I'm not taking the chance of him not liking it as much as possible. It looks absolutely amazing when clean.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/contour/contour002.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/contour/contour005.jpg

I refuse to take a picture of it now, it is that bad.....:(

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Just use quick detailer. It actually works pretty good, unless there is caked on mud.

It has a caked on layer of hard ‘shop’ dust, which is why I'm leery about quick detailer scratching the paint. It sat in my garage (where a LOT of auto repair/body work was done) for some time uncovered and didn't think it was that bad until closely inspecting it.....

Yes I'm an idiot, already know that.....;)

juicedimpss
01-27-2010, 10:11 AM
It has a caked on layer of hard ‘shop’ dust, which is why I'm leery about quick detailer scratching the paint. It sat in my garage (where a LOT of auto repair/body work was done) for some time uncovered and didn't think it was that bad until closely inspecting it.....

Yes I'm an idiot, already know that.....;)

blow it off with compressed air.

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM
blow it off with compressed air.

If I could I would, it is caked on HARD and THICK. Just how I like my women.....:goof

PureSound15
01-27-2010, 11:03 AM
If I could I would, it is caked on HARD and THICK. Just how I like my men.....:goof

Fixed.

Wtf is a hard woman?

07ROUSHSTG3
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
sounds like you are gonna have to put some mittens and earmuffs on and brave the chilly air.

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Wtf is a hard woman?

Don't know I was goofing, but this is my best guess.....:durr

http://www.mindspring.com/~genex/blogger/IMG_8386.jpg

y2kws6
01-27-2010, 12:48 PM
My cleaner will work on that, I have done it befor on my Black truck with no scratches. You just need to use a little more product than you normally would.

Dan

T-Bag
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Tow strap + Ram= ride to car wash. We'll push it in. I wouldn't worry about johnny law....its MPD

You are overthinking this :goof

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
My cleaner will work on that, I have done it befor on my Black truck with no scratches. You just need to use a little more product than you normally would.

Dan

I appreciate the offer but found a local car wash willing to work with me, hopefully. Amazing what can be accomplished when you talk to someone in person versus over the phone. If this plan doesn’t work I'll be contacting you for sure....

Tow strap + Ram= ride to car wash. We'll push it in. I wouldn't worry about johnny law....its MPD

You are overthinking this :goof

Yes and no. Every self-serve car wash I visited today within a reasonable distance of my house is closed with the cold weather. The other problem is with how low this car sits. You can NOT roll a soda can underneath and clearing car wash equipment was an issue. The final area was with it not moving under its own power. Most places refused to work with that or didn’t want to for the $20-30 they’d make.....

Call it over thinking if you like but towing a car like this one with a tow strap is a huge pain in the ass. I’m not taking the chance of damaging the bumper/exhaust or getting it stuck on an approach, which could easily happen. Not to mention this week’s temperature will be in the teens or lower and everyone knows how crabby I get in cold weather.....:)

sidewayzbimmer
01-27-2010, 01:37 PM
so whats the word??

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 01:54 PM
so whats the word??

We're still on for tomorrow after you are done with work.....

T-Bag
01-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Pretty much every modern car wash has ditched the equipment on the ground....there's no rolling over anything but concrete.

Glad you found a place though.

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Pretty much every modern car wash has ditched the equipment on the ground....there's no rolling over anything but concrete.

Running a 'dead' car through an automatic car wash is not easy and not something I'm doing on a cold winter day. I'll gladly pay someone $20 to wash and dry it for me while watching from a heated waiting room.....:)