PDA

View Full Version : Sheets Signs with A's

70challenger452
01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA_ATHLETICS_SHEETS?SITE=WIMIL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
what were they thinking? 10 mil? Sad to see him go, I always liked big ben but 10 mil is way too much.

Prince Valiant
01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Watch him finally beat the injury bug....

07ROUSHSTG3
01-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Watch him finally beat the injury bug....

yeah, wouldn't that be something. maybe the warmer climate will help his fingers not to blister.

PB86MCSS
01-26-2010, 07:32 PM
As an A's fan, I'm excited...the A's will have a great staff/bullpen and defense, to match up with the best....but still a terrible offense :( .

Even if he only makes 25-30 starts, he's worth 10 million. Also a Brewers fan (A's #1 though since I was a kid) and wonder if they considered him over Davis, about 4-5 million more but a hell of alot better/riskier. Guess they wanted quantity over quality, which might be wise...or not.

Karps TA
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Best of luck to him. One of my favorite pitchers, when he was healthy. Loved his approach and his ability to just throw the damn ball and not fuck around on the mound.

Glad he didn't go to the Cubs or Mets, that would have been a career killer. Both of those teams aren't very lucky healthwise.

Lash
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Good ridden...

jbiscuit
01-26-2010, 09:02 PM
see ya. No real loss in my opinion. Can't pay someone to sit and be hurt all the time

Beagle
01-26-2010, 11:13 PM
I would take Ben Sheets hurt over Suppan. Figured he was going to go. Oh well he'll probably do well. Does anyone know whats up with Capuano? Last i heard he had a second surgery and then he was rehabing and was hoping to make a comeback. That would be insane if he came back even if he was a reliever.

DirtyMax
01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
On the DL before the break..... book it.

When his curveball is working, there isn't another one that compares.Just too fragile IMO....

JC70SS
01-27-2010, 08:11 AM
10mil? What a joke. I would give that guymore than 1 mil plus a ton of incentives.

Karps TA
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
You guys make $10 mil sound like a lot in baseball. That's like what Wolf is getting from the Brewers, and he's no where near as dominate as Sheets is. Granted Sheet's has alot of health issues, but even playing 2/3rd the season most years he ended up with more wins then most of our pitchers who played the entire season. Plus he was always a great losing streak ended.

hrsp
01-28-2010, 12:03 AM
see ya. No real loss in my opinion. Can't pay someone to sit and be hurt all the time

Especially a small market team....glad the man got paid:thumbsup

wheelsofsteel
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
On the DL before the break..... book it.

When his curveball is working, there isn't another one that compares.Just too fragile IMO....

Hahahaha, you beat me to it.
I was just about to say that he is actually worth 1/2 that salary, as he will be garbage after the all-star break if he is even playing at all.

70challenger452
01-28-2010, 11:05 AM
HAHAHAHAHA QUOTE OF THE YEAR!
"It was a very impressive workout session," Oakland general manager Billy Beane said at a news conference to announce the signing. "Ben keeps himself in great shape. We're anticipating him having a great year."

PB86MCSS
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
We shall see....

The A's are a smaller market team, or about the same, as the Brewers. They have been cheap while rebuilding though so they have money to spend if they choose. If Sheets doesn't fall apart, he will be nice trade bait by the trade deadline if the A's are out of it. It's not like the guy hasn't made 30+ starts in his career...only last year was he injured for more than a part of the season. I'm sure he will miss some starts but in another contract year, don't be surprised if he only misses a few.

97z2801ss
02-14-2010, 02:01 AM
I was just by the A's stadium, we never play the A's anyways. I too like the A's, Sheets is a good pitcher when hes healthy, personally I hope he does well with them.