PDA

View Full Version : School and taxes....

Crawlin
01-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Alright, since everyone's got different questions up, figured we'd put this one up there for those that don't know (like me).

What forms do you need for taxes that include your school payments/tuition?

Anyone have any experience with adding school stuff to your taxes? I don't have any student loans being repaid right now, so any of that interest can't be deducted, but I did pay the difference for what school costs and what the loans didn't cover. so I'm hoping I can add that in.

y2kws6
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Chris you should get a 1098G from the school stating what you had paid in the mail. At least I always recieved one from Cardinal Stritch University.

Then it is just filed as normal.

Dan

Rocket Power
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
What he said. I didn't remember the form number but they sent it to me end of Jan/ early feb last year

DirtyMax
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Yup and then there should just be a section for it on the 1040.

DoubleAron
01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I got my 1098 from WCTC today as a matter of fact.

WickedSix
01-26-2010, 08:26 PM
chris msoe mailed um out this week should be in the mail otherwise u should be able to access it through your my.msoe.edu account .... you shouldnt have any tax liability with the bill from msoe (at least i never did)

Crawlin
01-27-2010, 07:32 AM
thanks pat!

i had checked that site and it says the "not available" so that's why I put this question up there. but I do see the announcement about the 1098T's being mailed on monday.

it says I have to look through my accounts to show how much I've spent in payments anyways, haha. so the form doesn't help much

Cutlass Queen
01-27-2010, 08:44 AM
chris msoe mailed um out this week should be in the mail otherwise u should be able to access it through your my.msoe.edu account .... you shouldnt have any tax liability with the bill from msoe (at least i never did)

^^^ What he said Chris. I know I got mine this year and there should be a section in your taxes that asks if you received one of these.

Crawlin
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
holy crap. not to bump a small thread, but I just got it today and added it in to what i assumed was the correct section of tax act and my return jumped $2000, hahaha

I've never got over $1700 in a tax return EVER, and now I'm getting like double if I did this right. Sucks being a single non homeowner w/ no kids.