PDA

View Full Version : Wheel narrowing.....

Car Guy
01-25-2010, 04:25 AM
[Say the thread title as fast as you can five times in a row.....:goof]

I might need some aluminum wheels narrowed and would like to know if anyone local is capable of doing the job. I found a shop in MI and a few in CA but didn't find anything local, hoping something was overlooked. If you know of someone local or otherwise please post up.....:thumbsup

SSLEVO
01-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Why in the world would you want to do that?

Car Guy
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Why in the world would you want to do that?

I'm wierd......;)

turbogarrett
01-25-2010, 12:51 PM
You're probably stuck with the guys in michigan (weldcraft) since your wheels are aluminum. Diamond racing only does steel wheels.

Weldcraft is not cheap, but they do excellent work.

Car Guy
01-25-2010, 01:04 PM
You're probably stuck with the guys in michigan (weldcraft) since your wheels are aluminum. Diamond racing only does steel wheels.

Weldcraft is not cheap, but they do excellent work.

That is what I gathered from the minimal research last night, however I'm afraid to call and find out how much each wheel will cost. I have a feeling it will be the deal breaker.....:(

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
I received a quote from Weldcraft in MI, $175 per wheel.....:wow

DirtyMax
01-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Try Diamond Racing wheels over there on Layton, by the old CF Terminal. Can't hurt to ask if their capabilities have changed??

SSLEVO
01-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I received a quote from Weldcraft in MI, $175 per wheel.....:wow

That doesn't sound too bad actually, there is a lot of work making sure it is true, holds air and still balanced at the same time.

Car Guy
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Try Diamond Racing wheels over there on Layton, by the old CF Terminal. Can't hurt to ask if their capabilities have changed??

I visited their office (within pissing distance of my house) and talked to Bill, very helpful. They only modify steel wheels, stopped modifying aluminum about 15 years ago and have no intentions of starting anytime soon.....

That doesn't sound too bad actually, there is a lot of work making sure it is true, holds air and still balanced at the same time.

$175 each is very reasonable after learning about what is involved in safely modifying an aluminum wheel. There is a LOT more than just cutting and welding.....