PDA

View Full Version : Fricken car is down again due to water

Heat Seeker WS6
05-19-2004, 09:31 PM
A new one- WATER got INTO the ECM :wow :wow and did a good amount of damage in there. Several packet resistors are blown and all the transistors coming off connecting block U15 are corroded to all hell. The 2 screws that sit at the back of the circuit board are rusty, looks like water has been in there for quite some time looking at the damage.
With all that, the car was having the symptons of having a bad IAC, but no trouble codes are bieng set. Going to get a new ECM in and see what happens.

PARALYZER
05-20-2004, 07:55 AM
This is when you should go to OBD1. For the price it will cost to fix it, you can convert.

95 TA - The Beast
05-20-2004, 10:25 AM
The man speaketh the truth...

I OBD I 94-95 setup would work better with mods and is easier to tune...

Cost about $300-500 depending on the deals you can find on the parts (wire harness, PCM, MAF sensor, new O2 sensors)...

So the only cost outside of the parts would be the expense to re-wire and to reprogram the PCM for your setup...

If your interested, let me know and we can talk details...

Dennis

SSmike1
05-20-2004, 12:25 PM
what about emmisions testing?
converting from ODBII to ODBI ?

dont the ODB1 cars have to be Dyno Tested?

and the ODB2 cars just get a Plug in?

:confused

95 TA - The Beast
05-20-2004, 01:01 PM
Johns car is a 93 pre-OBD I PROM-based speed density setup...

So upgrading to a MAF-based flash-based setup would gain him better driveability, the ability to program for mods without having to flash chips, sequential vs batch fire fuel injection and in general a better more-advanced system vs the aged speed density setup he is running...

what about emmisions testing?
converting from ODBII to ODBI ?

dont the ODB1 cars have to be Dyno Tested?

and the ODB2 cars just get a Plug in?

:confused

SSmike1
05-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Diga-Diga
i thought he had a ODB2 car.
:tomato

Heat Seeker WS6
05-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Wow guys, I just need the 'collector' plates for the dinosaur now.
I found a good deal on a refurbished ECM through carquest for $120 so I just ordered that this morning and will have it tomorrow morning. The computer changeover sounds very interesting and plan to do it eventually (as soon as $$ & time permits), but for now I just need the car to run.
Dennis, do you have anything to run a datalog on my current car setup?

Max 93
05-20-2004, 07:11 PM
too bad you ordered a new ECM. I would have sold you the one out of my 93 for $50. Dennis helped my with swaping to the 94 style PCM. I would say it was worth it.

PARALYZER
05-21-2004, 07:20 AM
John, spend the money now. It will be worth it.

Heat Seeker WS6
05-21-2004, 08:12 PM
Got the new ECM installed and ran a bead of black RTV around its access panel to ensure water can't get in there, crossed my fingers and it fired right up!
:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:
It held a constant idle around 800 rpms and didn't miss a beat while revving from various rpms. Too bad it's raining.
Thinking about the computer thing... At this point, I need the car data logged and then send the results and the piggy-back chip back to Alvin at PCM4less to dial it in. As far as mods go, honestly, I don't have any further plans to go any further until the bottom end breaks.
That bieng the case, is there really a benefit in converting the ECM over? I can handle not seeing a few hp if that's all it really is & I can use the $$ elsewhere.

SSmike1
05-22-2004, 07:46 AM
:banana Hey John,

I am Glad to hear that your back up & running!
:-P

See ya out Cruising, somewhere! :thumbsup

super bike mike
:wooo