PDA

View Full Version : TOYOTA recalls more vehicles

07ROUSHSTG3
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34981335/?GT1=43001

LOL!

Al
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Maybe this will deal the death blow to Toyota that happened to Audi.

johnny--2k
01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
what a freakin joke....

70challenger452
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
yeah, I'm gunna stick with my drive by cable throttle.

Nix
01-21-2010, 06:42 PM
Huh, I thought that it only because the floor mat would get jammed in to the gas pedal?

Nice cover up, assholes... :rolleyes:

JBs92Lude
01-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Huh, I thought that it only because the floor mat would get jammed in to the gas pedal?

Nice cover up, assholes... :rolleyes:

There was a thread awhile ago about what it could actually be, and not the floor mats. Been happening to people for awhile now.

Nix
01-21-2010, 07:29 PM
There was a thread awhile ago about what it could actually be, and not the floor mats. Been happening to people for awhile now.

This was what I was referring to>>> http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41528&highlight=toyota+recall

Yooformula
01-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I remember reading about people were saying why didnt the driver turn off the car, put it in nuetral, blah blah blah..

fact of the matter was that he was an off duty calif highway patrol officer in a rented/loaner Lexus with his family and the throttle got stuck in wot. There is a phone recording of his wife with the police frantic trying to get advice with her 2 kids in the car and him behind the wheel. The car didnt have a key only push button so he didnt know how to turn it off and the gear selector wouldnt go into neutral from drive at wot. The kicker was the emergency brake lockup(standing on the brake HARD) required too much pressure to override wot(iirc something like 150lb of foot pressure vs 45lbs) and as much as you could hear them screaming and trying to stand on the brakes, the car wouldnt slow down. Thats a fucking shame and it had nothing to do with panicking. Only takes a few seconds at wot at the wrong place and time to be deadly.

wrath
01-22-2010, 08:00 AM
I remember reading about people were saying why didnt the driver turn off the car, put it in nuetral, blah blah blah..

fact of the matter was that he was an off duty calif highway patrol officer in a rented/loaner Lexus with his family and the throttle got stuck in wot. There is a phone recording of his wife with the police frantic trying to get advice with her 2 kids in the car and him behind the wheel. The car didnt have a key only push button so he didnt know how to turn it off and the gear selector wouldnt go into neutral from drive at wot. The kicker was the emergency brake lockup(standing on the brake HARD) required too much pressure to override wot(iirc something like 150lb of foot pressure vs 45lbs) and as much as you could hear them screaming and trying to stand on the brakes, the car wouldnt slow down. Thats a fucking shame and it had nothing to do with panicking. Only takes a few seconds at wot at the wrong place and time to be deadly.

Let's say you rented a Bobcat to do some landscaping in your back yard. Would you have your kids playing in the sandbox immediately next to it the first time you tried 'er out without reading the manual first? Apparently this guy didn't RTFM. I don't even leave the parking lot with a car until I know how the windshield wipers work.

150lbs of pressure is NOTHING unless the guy only weighed 150lbs, so I bet it required more than that. Each one of an average males legs is good for about 350lbs. Apparently we all need to go back to non hydroboost and powerboost brakes. I doubt the parking brake would have done much at 120mph other than get hot since it's probably the type that have the shoes in the hat as opposed to a caliper pass-through type.

It's a sad thing to have happen, but I suspect at a minimum most everyone here would have dropped it to the lowest gear possible long before it got to 120mph.

Waver
01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Let's say you rented a Bobcat to do some landscaping in your back yard. Would you have your kids playing in the sandbox immediately next to it the first time you tried 'er out without reading the manual first? Apparently this guy didn't RTFM. I don't even leave the parking lot with a car until I know how the windshield wipers work.

150lbs of pressure is NOTHING unless the guy only weighed 150lbs, so I bet it required more than that. Each one of an average males legs is good for about 350lbs. Apparently we all need to go back to non hydroboost and powerboost brakes. I doubt the parking brake would have done much at 120mph other than get hot since it's probably the type that have the shoes in the hat as opposed to a caliper pass-through type.

It's a sad thing to have happen, but I suspect at a minimum most everyone here would have dropped it to the lowest gear possible long before it got to 120mph.

You really expect us to believe that you sit at the rental agency with your family in the vehicle for however many hours it takes to read the manual? Seriously? I call bullshit on that one. Most people, My self included, only make sure they know how to do the basics, wipers, lights, climate control, and audio control. Then I am off. I dont take the time to read the fucking manual, just like 98% of people in the world who rent a car. As for the pressure, who knows what happens, however, in a panic situation, the pedal pressure is higher than in most vehicles as well. The push button start......I am sure the guy was either in a panic state and forgot to hit the button again (at least that is how the new Taurus with the push button start option is) or the off feature was over ridden because the vehicle was in motion. This is one of the instances where technology, designed to keep us safer or make things more convenient for us, actually causes more serious problems.

Yooformula
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
did you not read? I did specify it was emergency brake lockup(hard stand on the brake pedal) NOT the er brake handle. it wouldnt get out of drive! was not able to move the selector into the lowest gear when it was stuck in wot. standing on the brake did not slow the car down enough combined with all of the other NUMEROUS compaints, hence the RECALL. Obviously SOMETHING was wrong not just the driver since MANY others have had issues with it. I still dont know of a single person that would ask the loaning dept how to shut the car off if the pedal sticks. why would any reasonable person ask such a question for a routine car rental?

" Car experts said it's not always that simple.

An electrical or mechanical failure could have made it impossible to shift into neutral, said Daniel Vomhof III, a vehicle accident reconstructionist with La Mesa-based Expert Witness Services.

Shutting off the engine also can be tricky because most modern vehicles will then lock the steering wheel, leaving the driver unable to steer, Vomhof said.

Asked if drivers have a third option, he replied: “Pray a lot.”

Another complication: A report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that some Lexus drivers with stuck accelerators tried to turn off the car with the engine control button but didn't know the button must be held for three seconds.

The agency's researchers recorded seven crashes, 12 injuries and 40 complaints involving the recalled floor mats in Toyota vehicles.

They also said that when the throttle pedal is fully open unintentionally, some drivers react by hitting the brakes multiple times. This action depletes the vehicle's vacuum-based power assist, and without that assistance, the brakes must be applied with much more force. Continued driving in that manner can result in overheating the brakes, further diminishing their effectiveness.

Toyota acknowledged the complaints and created new instructions for installing the mats properly. There have been no recalls of the 2009 ES 350, the traffic safety administration said.

On Friday, someone in the Saylors' Lexus called 911 just after 6:30 p.m. to report the stuck accelerator. Witnesses said the car was traveling northbound on state Route 125 in Santee at more than 100 mph when it entered a T-intersection with Mission Gorge Road.

The vehicle slammed into the rear end of a Ford Explorer and then plowed over a curb and through a fence before hitting an embankment and going airborne. It rolled several times before stopping and bursting into flames in the nearby San Diego River basin.

The CHP said those killed were Saylor, 45; his wife, Cleofe, 45; his daughter, Mahala, 13; and his brother-in-law, Chris Lastrella, 38. "

Got Boost
01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Crazy I read in the paper that Ford may be recalling 500,000 explorer SUVs ..

Waver
01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
did you not read? I did specify it was emergency brake lockup(hard stand on the brake pedal) NOT the er brake handle. it wouldnt get out of drive! was not able to move the selector into the lowest gear when it was stuck in wot. standing on the brake did not slow the car down enough combined with all of the other NUMEROUS compaints, hence the RECALL. Obviously SOMETHING was wrong not just the driver since MANY others have had issues with it.

That was what I was referring to, the hard stand, what wraith was referring to, I have no fricking clue

07ROUSHSTG3
01-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Crazy I read in the paper that Ford may be recalling 500,000 explorer SUVs ..

i find that hard to believe.

didn't think there were 500,000 out there that haven;t been recalled already, LOL!

Nix
01-22-2010, 03:06 PM
i find that hard to believe.

didn't think there were 500,000 out there that haven;t been recalled already, LOL!

Werd, I'm waiting to get a letter telling us that if we start ours more than 3 times a day it could burst in to flames! :rolf

But so far so good, its been a great truck. *Knocks on wood... :D

Rocket Power
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Throttle by wire FTL, and I hate push button starting too just more shit to go wrong when you're trying to ppretend you have a racecar or something with the push button start

Reverend Cooper
01-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey news flash,parts that are failing. Made in america lol

buttersgt350
01-22-2010, 08:48 PM
my wife has a 2008 camry. i turn the floor mats over in the winter so there is some space between the mat and the gas pedal, maybe about 3-4 inches, but getting in and out of the car all the time the mat will shift over closer to the pedal. the other day we were in the car and i was goofing around and floored it. i take my foot off the gas and it keeps going full bore. i hit the brakes with my left foot and dug the heel of my right foot in the mat and pulled back on it and it came loose. my wife was freaked out. there was nobody else on the road thankfully. i decided to take the mat out.

That_Guy
01-24-2010, 09:14 AM
what a freakin joke....

what the fact they lied about there accelerator issues and said it was an issue with floor mats

Reverend Cooper
01-24-2010, 09:47 AM
there is a issue with the floor mats,It's not a lie.The gas pedal recall is on top of that and on fewer vehicles.

jbiscuit
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
^ +1 The mats were being put in incorrectly in most cases (not putting the hold-down clips through the mat) causing the mat to slide forward overtime and COULD make the pedal get caught on it. I guess a lot of people were just throwing the mats in the car and expecting them to work properly. Reading directions fail.

The gas pedal is a new one. I would assume I will receive my notification this week on what the recommended recall service will be. In the mean time, I'm still driving my truck without any floor mat problem or gas pedal problem to date :rolf