PDA

View Full Version : Yet another victim of the economy

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Just got the shaft today after a year and a half. They claim they have to cut some overhead when my boss himself is the reason they don't make money at the place, pisses a guy off.

If you guys know of any engineering jobs please let me know. I have 2 years of experience in manufacturing/ process engineering. Graduated with a BS in manufacturing engineering from U.W. Stout in 08.

Thanks for any help, buy my sv650 i have for sale, hahaha.

Holeshot
01-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Sorry to hear man. Hope things improve for you ASAP

GTO RLY?
01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Good luck man. Not to crap on you dude, but I'm a CAD (AutoCAD & SolidWorks) guy myself and there ain't shit out there in my line of work... unless you're an engineer. Personally, I'd be pissed had I continued at MSOE, spending close to $120K we figured, just to enter the workforce doing some damn CAD job that I already do for the same pay.

I've been out of work for almost a year and a half, because 10 years experience doesn't mean squat without that cute piece of paper, apparently. This is why I'm going to Moraine Park in fall to become an ASE certified mechanic. :rolleyes: I'd rather make less doing something I enjoy, instead of making bank and regretting every second I'm at work, plus getting crapped on by incompetent department heads only interested in saving their own jobs.

pOrk
01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Metalcraft was looking for another engineer, know anything about commercial lawn mowers?

Dr.Buick
01-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Good luck man. Not to crap on you dude, but I'm a CAD (AutoCAD & SolidWorks) guy myself and there ain't shit out there in my line of work... unless you're an engineer. Personally, I'd be pissed had I continued at MSOE, spending close to $120K we figured, just to enter the workforce doing some damn CAD job that I already do for the same pay.

I've been out of work for almost a year and a half, because 10 years experience doesn't mean squat without that cute piece of paper, apparently. This is why I'm going to Moraine Park in fall to become an ASE certified mechanic. :rolleyes: I'd rather make less doing something I enjoy, instead of making bank and regretting every second I'm at work, plus getting crapped on by incompetent department heads only interested in saving their own jobs.
Wrong job . I'm a ase master tech and there is no place busy! this is everywere.Their used to be pages of tech jobs in the paper now none, and the 50 grand in tools is a joke but you need them.

pOrk
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Wrong job . I'm a ase master tech and there is no place busy! this is everywere.Their used to be pages of tech jobs in the paper now none, and the 50 grand in tools is a joke but you need them.

That, and its going to be even harder to find a job when all these dealers close in June / July and all THOSE techs will be looking for jobs too.

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, i am an accredited engineer with a pretty good resume. I haven't started looking yet but i figure getting the word out there won't hurt.

The thing that kind of sucks is i'm between entry level and experienced. There are almost no entry level jobs out there.

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 07:25 PM

IMO MSOE is kind of a waste, i got a similar education for 40k. I was making over 50k out of school. Well, not anymore, lol.

GTO RLY?
01-18-2010, 07:29 PM
+1 You're either overqualified or underqualified. Seems like there is no middle ground. :fire My situation might also be due to being blacklisted by my last employer, but I'll be verifying that with a tape recorder and a phone call made by a friend very soon...

GTO RLY?
01-18-2010, 07:33 PM
That, and its going to be even harder to find a job when all these dealers close in June / July and all THOSE techs will be looking for jobs too.

That sucks, I can't think of anything else worth going to school for. I certainly don't enjoy banking...

And I might as well forget tool & die... what a f'd up field that is to work in... used to be a good career around here, but not with the advent of $.12/hr asian labor.

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 07:42 PM
That sucks, I can't think of anything else worth going to school for. I certainly don't enjoy banking...

And I might as well forget tool & die... what a f'd up field that is to work in... used to be a good career around here, but not with the advent of $.12/hr asian labor.

Tool and die used to be a very well respected and paying career. It seems these days people are hiring $12 button pushers over actual machinists like you said. I've seen it at my internship and all over the place. Just 5-10 years ago you could be making 60-80k easy as a toolmaker. Today all of those jobs have gone away, or were outsourced to china/India. Just to come back to the US later when they see their quality is piss poor and the transportation costs are offsetting any savings in the first place. God i love upper management.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Good luck with the search. Hope you find something.

GTO RLY?
01-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Right on, dude. The molds come back here and have to be recut.:rolfI've heard the horror stories. They like to make copies of the tooling they do too... Bemis had a few of their designs stolen. And instead of making trim dies, they have a couple people with box cutters removing mold flash. They're so fly-by-night.

WickedSix
01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Look into oshkosh truck and aerotek staffing ... the new programs here are hiring engineers and designers

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 08:20 PM
I actually applied to the manufacturing job at Oshkosh last week, maybe that gave me some bad luck, lol. My roommate from College works there as well so maybe he can pull some strings.

TransAm12sec
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Get your resume to Strattec, Bucyrus, Harley Davidson, P&H mining, Rockwell, Regenco, Ladish, Rexnord/Falk, Kohler, Briggs, Eaton, General Mills, Johnsonville, Paper Converting Machine Company, Prent, and WE energies.

Mind if I see your resume? I'm going for my bachelors in mechanical now.

It's hard to compete with a guy who doesn't even wear shoes to pour molten iron.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/11/26/nyregion/26manhole.xlarge1.jpg

SSLEVO
01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Get your resume to Strattec, Bucyrus, Harley Davidson, P&H mining, Rockwell, Regenco, Ladish, Rexnord/Falk, Kohler, Briggs, Eaton, General Mills, Johnsonville, Paper Converting Machine Company, Prent, and WE energies.

Thanks for the ideas, i'm going to start tomorrow morning. I sent you an email.

We have been wanting to re-locate to the twin cities so this may be our chance. We have 7 months left on our lease though.

michelle
01-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Very sorry to hear. Hope you find something soon!

Turbo-Triumph
01-19-2010, 01:56 AM
ouch sorry to hear about the job loss.

i fear i may be joining the job hunt soon, as my jobs cutting most people back to 4 days, so dont feel bad. its rough everywere. from what i heard on the news a while back, though, milwaukee is one of the best places to find work right now.

and that pouring iron with no shoes is nuts.

((MICHELLE)) the pic of your taurus on the road track is awesome. lol
it looks so out of place, yet so badass, ass at once. something i think i would do. kudos

michelle
01-19-2010, 06:27 AM
((MICHELLE)) the pic of your taurus on the road track is awesome. lol
it looks so out of place, yet so badass, ass at once. something i think i would do. kudos

Thank you. (:

WickedSix
01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
I actually applied to the manufacturing job at Oshkosh last week, maybe that gave me some bad luck, lol. My roommate from College works there as well so maybe he can pull some strings.

It's always better to have someone hand off your resume to a director. Do you happen to know which plant/department you applied with?

email me more on what you are looking for

Crawlin
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
IMO MSOE is kind of a waste, i got a similar education for 40k. I was making over 50k out of school. Well, not anymore, lol.

HA... I'm here at MSOE...

And talking with people who OWN construction companies like Berghammer(my father), CG Schmidt, Boldt, etc... the LARGER companies, you better come from MSOE/Marquette/Madison/Purdue, etc... in times like these in order to even have a foot in the door for an interview. Otherwise they'll just hire the guy with the paper from somewhere else who has the 10years experience too. We just had the COO of CG Schmidt in(someone who worked UNDER my dad when he was at CG Schmidt so I know him personally) who said that very thing.

Then again, with grants and scholarships, my school is that same 40k since when people QUOTE the price, they never seem to figure in those things ;) Actually, after everything is said and done, My school will have been about $36k for 4 years. Sorry, I'll take that pretty piece of paper from here for the cheaper price. And I don't have any "fancy specific" scholarships.

PS - i will state this is for Architectural Engineering and Construction type jobs, not mechanical.

Wish you the best!

fordmerc
01-19-2010, 11:42 AM

It's hard to compete with a guy who doesn't even wear shoes to pour molten iron.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/11/26/nyregion/26manhole.xlarge1.jpg

DO NOT work for Strattec! Don't ask how I know!
I am in the CAD field too been looking for a year.

SSLEVO
01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
HA... I'm here at MSOE...

And talking with people who OWN construction companies like Berghammer(my father), CG Schmidt, Boldt, etc... the LARGER companies, you better come from MSOE/Marquette/Madison/Purdue, etc... in times like these in order to even have a foot in the door for an interview. Otherwise they'll just hire the guy with the paper from somewhere else who has the 10years experience too. We just had the COO of CG Schmidt in(someone who worked UNDER my dad when he was at CG Schmidt so I know him personally) who said that very thing.

Then again, with grants and scholarships, my school is that same 40k since when people QUOTE the price, they never seem to figure in those things ;) Actually, after everything is said and done, My school will have been about $36k for 4 years. Sorry, I'll take that pretty piece of paper from here for the cheaper price. And I don't have any "fancy specific" scholarships.

PS - i will state this is for Architectural Engineering and Construction type jobs, not mechanical.

Wish you the best!

I didn't mean to bash anyone specifically, yes the big name schools can get your foot in the door to some of the larger companies if that is what you are looking for.

I do know a kid that is in his senior year at Marquette for mechanical and has over 100k in debt. Say he can get a job that pays 5-10k more than some shmo like me that went to a smaller state school. It will take him 10+ years to pay off the loan, is he really that much better off than i am? That's kind of what i was getting at.

JBs92Lude
01-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I didn't mean to bash anyone specifically, yes the big name schools can get your foot in the door to some of the larger companies if that is what you are looking for.

I do know a kid that is in his senior year at Marquette for mechanical and has over 100k in debt. Say he can get a job that pays 5-10k more than some shmo like me that went to a smaller state school. It will take him 10+ years to pay off the loan, is he really that much better off than i am? That's kind of what i was getting at.

Depends on how much you get from the school in aid. Most private schools give a decent amount of aid out to students. I am in my 3rd year there and only owe 10k. Depends on the person.

MurphysLaw88GT
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Yep, it does vary wildly. They told me my cause of the "EFC" on the FAFSA my parents could potentially give me a bunch of money to help. Yeah, they were not going to give me anything for school, so the aid was ok, but not as good as some. Although I am grateful for them letting me live at home for "free". I owe way more than 10 and I went to my school for 3 1/2 years.

Crawlin
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM

I get ya. At 27y/o (5 out of school), that's still young enough to be enjoying the $10g's extra per year after paying it off haha. Most people that go to some place like Marquette will go on to get their master's and be at $150k in debt, but what ends up happening is after that 5 years of experience and grad school, they will then go into design instead of just base level positions, and will be at about twice income.

The lucky thing for us that are in school right now, is we might be missing out on the next couple of shitty years.

Not that you'd want more debt after we are in this discussion about it... but maybe going back to school for a specialization in ME for a Master's program? Just another option to maybe toss out. It's definitely hard to be affording school loans and personal life bills while hardly working, but maybe something to look into?

EDIT - and since you are out of school on your own, you'd be an independant and then qualify for larger school loans anyways to help you live. I wish I had extra for loans to live off of, haha. But nope.

SSLEVO
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Loans are nice but you always have to pay the damn things off, lol. I wouldn't mind going for my masters but i have 1k in rent, car payment, student loans, no way to pay for all of that if i go back to school.