PDA

View Full Version : home buyers tax credit heads up

4eyedstang
01-18-2010, 05:45 PM
if you bought a house this year and qualify for the fist time home buyers credit you need to bring your HUD statement and cash "in my case $200" to your tax preparer because they must be mailed in.

just thought id share so you don't waste time like i did :thumbsup

Holeshot
01-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah and I heard on the news it can take up to 4 months for that credit to come through.

pOrk
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
if you bought a house this year and qualify for the fist time home buyers credit you need to bring your HUD statement and cash "in my case $200" to your tax preparer because they must be mailed in.

just thought id share so you don't waste time like i did :thumbsup

What is the HUD statement you speak of? And whats the cash for?

0TransAm0
01-18-2010, 07:14 PM
only if you buy a HUD home...

0TransAm0
01-18-2010, 07:16 PM
and my tax preparer is the fiance's dad.. he is a tax auditor for the state...so he knows all the ins and outs and how to get us the most back..

4eyedstang
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
What is the HUD statement you speak of? And whats the cash for?

the HUD statement is the one you get that breaks down all of the money spent on closing ect. A.K.A the settlement statement and everyone who buys a home gets one.

the money is for the tax preparer in my case H&R they normally take their fee out of your return instead of up front

pOrk
01-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Why don't you use Turbo Tax? Its so easy a trained dolphin could do it. That what I've always used, and plan on using this year as well.

domokun
01-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Why don't you use Turbo Tax? Its so easy a trained dolphin could do it. That what I've always used, and plan on using this year as well.

and you will miss some stuff that a certified, experienced CPA / tax accountant would.

accountant > some tool thinking he can save a few bucks b doing it himself

pay some 200 and get 1000 more
or pay 20-40 for software and get 1000 less

you = :loser

BTW: Im not talking about HR block, jackson hewitt or anything like that just so you know

wrath
01-18-2010, 10:44 PM
and you will miss some stuff that a certified, experienced CPA / tax accountant would.

accountant > some tool thinking he can save a few bucks b doing it himself

pay some 200 and get 1000 more
or pay 20-40 for software and get 1000 less

you = :loser

BTW: Im not talking about HR block, jackson hewitt or anything like that just so you know

Doubt it. Neither Eric nor I make enough money... nor do we have complex enough taxes to require a professional. $11 for TaxAct is all I normally need. I might find a tax professional this year though.

Russ Jerome
01-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Unless you have a lot of buisness expenses paying someone to do your tax's is pretty silly, like Eric said my trained dolphin gets all my tool expenses and college kids allowances e-filed into my acount in days.

My wife also has the $8000 tax credit ready to go online the day our home closes, something most tax people wont do for you even tho you can for 2010 (amending 09 in 2010 fed tax credit).

4eyedstang
01-19-2010, 04:41 AM

you have to MAIL them in to claim the tax credit.because of all of the fraud involved in the last one they will not except a electronic file.

and i did get a extra grand by having my done by a pro.

pOrk
01-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Your tax guy has to mail it in as well, big woop?

Scott, your a homo. I've been doing my own taxes since I was 15 and its impossible to miss something unless your, well, you.

GTO RLY?
01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm old fashioned. I fill out a 1040EZ by hand every year. In my experience, Turbo Tax won't catch things your eyes will... for instance, you cannot claim head of household without a qualifying child w/ an SS number, and forces you to take a child tax credit.

On paper, all you have to do is provide a name. I have a kid, but me and my woman aren't married, so we weasel.