PDA

View Full Version : Water pet tank people in here please :) Problems with tank cycling, bad canister?

pOrk
01-17-2010, 08:21 PM
125 gallon tank, and no Nan, I don't have above tank basking yet so keep your big hair homo comments out of here :rolf

Took a video of the bad flow of my XP4, not sure if this is how they flow if if mine needs some replacement parts. I had the entire motor rebuilt, not sure if they replaced the anything else though.

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/?action=view&current=Blah.flv

-stew-
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I'd say there is something wrong with it. I have an XP1. I've never watched the flow like that, and mine has a tube with six holes in it to create "current" in my SW tank. I'd guess each hole on my tube has more flow than that.

pOrk
01-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I'd say there is something wrong with it. I have an XP1. I've never watched the flow like that, and mine has a tube with six holes in it to create "current" in my SW tank. I'd guess each hole on my tube has more flow than that.

Thats what I was afraid of, the last time I sent in the pump it took 3 months to get it back. I don't think I'll be buying another one of these filters.

Al
01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Can you disassamle it?

For reference, my Fluval 204 flows better than that.

Yooformula
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
have you taken the hoses/impeller drive apart to clean out the limescale/sludge buildup? My pump will slow down quite a bit after a few months if I dont clean out the hoses and crap too.

pOrk
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
I took the whole unit apart and cleaned it out, then reassembled. I've had nothing but problems with this thing since I got it.

Turbo-Triumph
01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Are you using regular metal pipe as the discharge?

I was told thats a big no-no by the person who i trust most about fishy stuff.

Is there any chance your loosing your prime? (suction hoses loose, leaking)

I had a filter that was doing roughly the same thing (low output) but it was working still, but one day i noticed little air bubbles in the suction tube (clear) and i put tape around the seam, and the flow went way up.

also double check any possible adjustments.

pOrk
01-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Are you using regular metal pipe as the discharge?

I was told thats a big no-no by the person who i trust most about fishy stuff.

Is there any chance your loosing your prime? (suction hoses loose, leaking)

I had a filter that was doing roughly the same thing (low output) but it was working still, but one day i noticed little air bubbles in the suction tube (clear) and i put tape around the seam, and the flow went way up.

also double check any possible adjustments.

Nope, its plastic.

The inlet tube is actually starting to 'suck' in on its size due to too much suction, so I'm beginning to think I might have too much media inside the canister. Going to Hoffers in a few minutes to get their advice.