PDA

View Full Version : AR Recomondations

Silver350
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Contiplating the idea for getting an AR. However I do not know much about manufactures reputations to know what to trust and what not to. A Friend recommended Armalite, all though I am looking for others to check out. Does anyone have other Suggestions?

Coops Brother
01-17-2010, 07:40 PM
DPMS makes good stuff. Delton makes good stuff.
I can get good deals on delton

Moparjim
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Search for the other threads on "AR-15 Lowers" for some good info.

Also check out AR15.com for more info than you could ever need.

Most all the manufacturers really use the parts from only a handful of casting/machining places, so a lot of them are similar/comparable quality at much lower prices than some of the "name" brands. Basically any of the quality parts users are pretty good and people will argue till the sun goes down about what are basically the same guns. Personally, I have owned Bushmasters and Stag arms and found both to be great. Here is the list from the other thread of who makes the parts for who:

Lewis Machine & Tool

* LMT
* Lauer
* DS Arms
* PWA
* Eagle
* Armalite
* Knights Armament
* Barrett

Continental Machine Tool

* Stag
* Rock River Arms
* High Standard
* Noveske
* Century (New)
* Global Tactical
* CLE
* S&W
* MGI
* Wilson Tactical
* Grenadier Precision
* Colt

LAR Manufacturing

* LAR
* Bushmaster
* Ameetec
* DPMS
* CMMG
* Double Star
* Fulton Armory
* Spike's Tactical

JVP

* Double Star
* LRB
* Charles Daly

Mega Machine Shop

* Mega
* GSE
* Dalphon
* POF
* Alexander Arms

Olympic

* Olympic
* SGW
* Tromix
* Palmetto
* Dalphon
* Frankford
* Century (Old)

Sun Devil

* Sun Devil forged billet receivers

Superior

* Superior Arms
* Lauer (New)

STANMAN
01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Remember your ABC's......Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, pretty much in that order. After that, do your research, there's lots of fly-by-night lower makers out there, and you don't want to get a lower that a parts kit won't fit in:wow

JC70SS
01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
I have one for sale. pm me if you want any info.

GTO RLY?
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I think Remington makes them now. I'd like to get an M1-A myself and move up from .223. Sucks nobody makes a semi-auto 30-06.

GTO RLY?
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
*bah, make that 30-06 with box magazines.

Russ Jerome
01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I just sold the Remington R-15 in my avatar for like $800, scoped, cased, clips and ammo...guntraderonline and gunsamerica online all show same dismal sales so consider cruising their for door buster deals unless your building from scratch for cheap.

JC70SS as stated above has one I am going to offer on, if your set on a Colt its in decent shape with original 1982 furniture. Keep in mind the Colts use "large" pin lowers and few manufatures offer uppers that simply slap on. Nice gun if your a Colt freak. Its a SP (sporter) and I have more info for it if you are intersted it, whatever nets him more money I'll help if I can.

Cruise AR-15 .com and Graybeard, guns are the lowest I've ever seen them....I buy sell tooo many long guns every year Im drooling at 6mm target guns that cost $3000 to build and $600 asking prices (target rifles not autos).

Silver350
01-21-2010, 08:36 PM
The colt sounds nice however it will probably be more then what I am willing to spend. I am looking for something around $800 to about $1200.

Russ Jerome
01-21-2010, 09:28 PM
The colt sounds nice however it will probably be more then what I am willing to spend. I am looking for something around $800 to about $1200.

Where were you last week!
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43385&highlight=AR-15

New in box Bushmasters and DPMS Sporticals are $699-799 right now at Dunhams, HWY 100 has a couple. Nicer DPMS's models and Remingtons are $999 and up new in box at Cabelas with a sale coming in Febuary Im waiting (think second week in Feb).

Russ Jerome
01-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I have one for sale. pm me if you want any info.

The gun is a genuine Colt, model 6551.
Serial number 00339x should be early 90's late 80.
This is a fixxed stock "st" model, will look like this:
http://www.keepshooting.com/productimages/firearms/rifles/ar-15postbanbig.jpg
Original parkerized finish, original plastic furniture, did not borescope it but action would apear to have normal wear for age and use, minor wear on outside of barrel but decent (uncased). I have believe it was a 7-8 condition, probably a strong 8 for vintage. Nice vintage style example, thought it was older when I saw seria lnumber till I noticed the "st" mildly stamped, forward assist ect. This is a big pin lower, Colt propriatary uppers or equivilent.

Please PM JC70SS on any offers, feel free to ask me any other question I will gladly help.