PDA

View Full Version : Some positive news about a company for once

Karps TA
01-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Briggs & Stratton Corp. said Friday it would reimburse salaried employees 75% of wages lost during a temporary wage reduction from July 1 through Dec. 31, 2009.

A decision on the remaining 25% will come in the spring, Briggs said Friday.

In mid-2009, the Wauwatosa-based company implemented a 10% pay reduction for all of its domestic salaried employees and also suspended 401(k) contributions.

"We had some difficult decisions to make during the recession and our employees really pulled together as a team to help the company," Todd Teske, president and CEO said in a statement.

"While there is still a lot of uncertainty with the economy, we are in a position to pay back our employees for a portion of their lost salaries."

Briggs, a lawn-and-garden equipment manufacturer, will wait until the spring selling season before making further decisions on reimbursing salaried employees for wage cuts.

"We will try very hard to make that happen," Teske said, adding that only after all salaried employees are reimbursed 100% will officers and key executives become eligible for reimbursement.

Teske has been president and chief executive officer since Jan. 1, replacing John Shiely, who retired after 23 years at Briggs.

"During this fiscal year, we have had to make some difficult decisions. I really appreciated the way our employees pulled together to not only help us through these difficult times, but also make us a stronger enterprise for the long-term," he said.

We got our pay and merit increases back starting January 1st. I'm not sure how many companies work to reimburse the employees for the paycuts they took.

Had Briggs still been a big union shop, it would have been interesting to see how things would have played out.

Prince Valiant
01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
That's damn generous...and not at all required.

What about lost 401K contributions? or is that included?

jbiscuit
01-15-2010, 10:42 AM
friggin awesome. I would just be happy for my wages to be reinstated!

animal
01-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Sweet for you. They did the same thing where I work as well :D

WhatsADSM
01-15-2010, 10:49 AM
wow that's actually pretty nice of them. Rarely do you hear of them paying it back.

PureSound15
01-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Good news for the guys that are employed by Briggs

Maybe this means some mods for the 2010 Camaro on the board

BAD LS1
01-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Ha after the wife gets her requested upgrades for the house first!

lordairgtar
01-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Had Briggs still been a big union shop, it would have been interesting to see how things would have played out.
They don't have a union in there anymore?

Karps TA
01-15-2010, 03:45 PM
There's only a handful of union employees left. There's almost no mfg here anymore. Most of Burleigh is warehouse space now and offices.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
So the china manufacturing is paying off that and too come say being gone helps Briggs and ScrapIron sell mo' sno kings ?

Seriously to anyone who got their money back right on, pretty rare occasion.
I think they just ordered 25 shot rods for die casting from my boss, I think we ship those to Pulaski or some place in TN, aint Pulaski no more I cant even remember but yea right on.
Does Briggs still make that lawnmower sounding outboard ?

BAD LS1
01-15-2010, 04:18 PM
So the china manufacturing is paying off that and too come say being gone helps Briggs and ScrapIron sell mo' sno kings ?

Seriously to anyone who got their money back right on, pretty rare occasion.
I think they just ordered 25 shot rods for die casting from my boss, I think we ship those to Pulaski or some place in TN, aint Pulaski no more I cant even remember but yea right on.
Does Briggs still make that lawnmower sounding outboard ?

SnowKings were Tecumseh engines.

There are 3 different engines lines that come from china and they are low-end product and most of it stays in that region as its growing market with a need for small horizontals like no other. We control all the engineering and quality control on it to our standards here, so the product is as good as the stuff built down south.

The outboard has been dead for going on 3 years now too.

pOrk
01-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Thats great!

The company I work for implemented a wage and hiring freeze over a year ago claiming there wasn;t enough work coming in and blah blah blah which was true then. Now I am working 6 12's OT up the ass, our department is over 300 hours behind, and my review boss said I was doing a fantastic job, maybe I can get a raise next year. Gayness