PDA

View Full Version : Frey Automotive

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Does anyone have experience with them? They are local-ish to me and I need someone to diagnose/fix a shaking I get in my winter beater once I hit 60 mph.

HY35F2T
01-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Your winter beater is a ?

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Your winter beater is a ?

1993 BMW 525i.

juicedimpss
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
ice buildup on inside of wheels?

HY35F2T
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
if its the front end gonna say tie rods/wheel bearings.Rear id say u joints.

that too.I wonder how many shops got cars in from that and tell them they did work or changed something but didnt lol.

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Good thought but it did this before the snow. It does feel very much like that though. It's hard to say but I think it's the front end. I had the local guy in Wind Lake tell me the rear wheels needed balancing. Had him do that and it did nothing. As far as bearings and tie rods, would specific speeds make that happen. I can almost pinpoint to within 1-2 mph when it will start. 58-59.

DirtyMax
01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
JJ Frey is a pretty cool guy and seems to know what he is doing both in business and with cars. I took some classes with him back in the day and in our brief conversations, seemed like a straight shooter. Friends have known/used him for years with no problems.

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 01:44 PM
JJ Frey is a pretty cool guy and seems to know what he is doing both in business and with cars. I took some classes with him back in the day and in our brief conversations, seemed like a straight shooter. Friends have known/used him for years with no problems.

Super. That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

BoosTT
01-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Everyone I knew that used frey was happy. I never used that place myself though

Karps TA
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
You just want to drive one of their sweet Dodge Shadow rental cars.

lotsals1
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
1993 BMW 525i.You didnt buy the BMW from a guy in Muskego/hales corners area did you?
JJ FREY is an old friend of mine ,He should do good work for ya.
I was going to buy a black bw from a guy off janesville and? but The car shook so bad I backed out --I passed on it for 400$ lol.
Car also had a tranny issue --no od--had a decent oil leak and I could smell antifreeze inside the car and it blew white smoke.
The guy was a fat about 20-25 "looked Middle eastern" . The house was on the corner you go down a block and a half. Had it on CL.?
If so dump the car ---it has a shit pile of issues and wont last long

BR3W CITY
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I had pretty much the same car a few years back. It has a goofy front suspension setup, and the control arm bushings all wear out in higher mileage. You can buy a full rebuild kit on ebay from the oem supplier. The whole front suspension has to be removed to do the replacement. Not cheap, or easy.

Around town mine was fine, but the second I hit 56mph it would shake like a wheel was gonna fall off, until I got up to around 85. I think parts and all it cost nearly $800 to fix, and then the trans went on mine.

DirtyMax
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
You just want to drive one of their sweet Dodge Shadow rental cars.

They're Dynasties... get it right... :goof

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Karps. You got me. I'm kinda nostalgic for those old Dodges. :) Actually I will rent one. I just called a little bit ago. I guess it's $20 for as long as it take to get the car fixed.

Lots: Not the same car. Bought mine in Wind Lake. (Found it on CL though.) Mine has a 5 spd. No leaks, smells or smokes. 118K when I bought it and the engine purrs like a kitten. Had brand new snow tires so that was a plus for me for its current duty. All electrical works as does the AC! Only car I found in my price range that the AC worked. Only issues are some rust on the bottom door edges and front fenders behind the wheels.

Br3w. That's not good news. It doesn't shake so much that it feels like the wheel will fall off. It is enough that it concerns me though. I haven't tried getting to 85. Maybe that'll be my ticket. (Pun intended) For $800 I'll just drive 55 and trade it in in the spring for something else.

TraceDaddy
01-12-2010, 04:34 PM
They're Dynasties... get it right... :goof
Not sure that's true either. I can't tell from Loomis but I think they are either Plymouth Acclaims or Dodge Spirits. :)

BR3W CITY
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
ya. Obviously I can't guarauntee its the same issue, as other shit can always go wrong, but it is a common problem with those models. I think the parts only ran around $250 of the cost, but the labor wasn't cheap unfortunately.

lordairgtar
01-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Our kids buy and repair all their stuff at Frey's. Can't say they ever did them wrong.

TraceDaddy
01-13-2010, 08:00 AM
I will report back next week.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
I sure did want to get the Boat Tail Rivi they had for twenty five hunned awhile back.
Sure are Dodge Spirits and Frey Day cant be to bad they have been there forever.

DirtyMax
01-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Not sure that's true either. I can't tell from Loomis but I think they are either Plymouth Acclaims or Dodge Spirits. :)

Yeah, I think you're right on that. I knew it one of those fugly Mopars other than the equally as fugly Shadow.

lordairgtar
01-14-2010, 02:11 PM
I sure did want to get the Boat Tail Rivi they had for twenty five hunned awhile back.
Sure are Dodge Spirits and Frey Day cant be to bad they have been there forever.
I was looking at that Rivi too. I wanted it, but no cash.:(

1320PNY
01-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Two things. 1) Do the front wheels have the ring retainer on one of the studs for holding on the brake rotor? I took that off my car and it seemed to quit the jiggle from 55-68 mph. I also had the fronts rebalanced and it is smooth as silk. Usually a combo of tie rod adjustment and the Toe as you drive through the speed range. 2.) Are the springs sagging? Sometimes the spring sag in the front and the angle on the steering arms is off. As you excelerate you lift the front. Drive through the vibration and then drag the brake back down through the speed. If the problem isnt there on the way down its adjustable. If it is, its a worn part.

TraceDaddy
01-15-2010, 08:32 AM
Two things. 1) Do the front wheels have the ring retainer on one of the studs for holding on the brake rotor? I took that off my car and it seemed to quit the jiggle from 55-68 mph. I also had the fronts rebalanced and it is smooth as silk. Usually a combo of tie rod adjustment and the Toe as you drive through the speed range. 2.) Are the springs sagging? Sometimes the spring sag in the front and the angle on the steering arms is off. As you excelerate you lift the front. Drive through the vibration and then drag the brake back down through the speed. If the problem isnt there on the way down its adjustable. If it is, its a worn part.

Hi Shaun,

In answer to your questions:

1. Dunno. I looked things over some, jacked it up and tried to wiggle things around but didn't find anything amiss. I can't say I looked for a ring retainer. I did take it in to have the tires balanced. The guy said one of the rear tires had an issue to bad to correct with balancing. I bought 2 new replacements and that did nothing. If it's as simple as a tie rod adjustment and alignment that would be great.

2. Springs sagging? Maybe a touch in the back. Not real bad though. I do feel it in the brakes on the way back down. I don't even have to drive through it to confirm that.

I dropped it off last night after work. We'll see what they come up with.

TraceDaddy
01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Well the experience was good. The outcome bad. Frey diagnosed a worn thrust arm on the passenger side. The bill to fix is about $450. That seems reasonable and I'm glad they found what it was, it's just more than I want to sink into my winter car. It's an irritation more than anything right now. With time though I'm sure it will get worse.

I did feel very comfortable with them and thought he was very straighforward. I'd definitely recommend them.

That Dodge Spirit though? Hmmmm. It was nice to have a vehicle to get to work, but I won't be buying my own anytime soon. :)

1320PNY
01-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Let's fix it in my garage. :rolf

DirtyMax
01-16-2010, 10:49 PM
That Dodge Spirit though? Hmmmm. It was nice to have a vehicle to get to work, but I won't be buying my own anytime soon. :)

You're damn right you won't because he owns the last 12 on the planet that still run... :goof

lordairgtar
01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
You're damn right you won't because he owns the last 12 on the planet that still run... :goof
:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf :rolf:rolf:rolf

TraceDaddy
01-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Let's fix it in my garage. :rolf

Thanks. But I've yet to return the favor for helping me get the Eibach's on the Mustang. :)

I Googled directions to do it and they put the estimate at 1 1/2 hours to do it yourself. I need to pick up some tool at Advanced but it sounds pretty straightforward. I have off today so I might have time to jack it up and take a look.