PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry in water

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Well today I dropped my phone in the sink. I pulled it out right away and took the battery out. Then I dried it off and put it in a bowl of rice. What are the odds that this thing works again. I really dont want to pay 100 bucks for a new phone.

jbiscuit
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
pretty slim if the phone was on. Dropped a Nokia in the lake once and grabbed it before it sank. Never worked again

subliminal1284
01-12-2010, 10:59 AM
It may work again but dont even try to turn it on for atleast 2 weeks, you need to let it dry out completely. I dropped a phone in water before while it was on and it started working again after it thoroughly dried out. If you can figure out how take it apart and let it dry out.

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I read anywhere for 2-3 days before turning back on if its in rice. Thats long enough without a phone. If it doesnt work anyone here work for sprint that can hook me up with a replacement PM

lotsals1
01-12-2010, 11:23 AM
It may work again but dont even try to turn it on for atleast 2 weeks, you need to let it dry out completely. I dropped a phone in water before while it was on and it started working again after it thoroughly dried out. If you can figure out how take it apart and let it dry out.try to pull it apart and take a hair dryer to it.
If it dont work after all this --there are 2 stick on dots --one on the batt. and one on the phone --they are most likely red "water damage indicators"
If you have to take it back --get some bleach and a pin--put some bleach on the dots "tiny drop" until it turns whte" dab off the excess with a paper towel.
after you do that make sure you cant smell the bleach. Then take it and say it stopped functioning.:thumbsup But dont remove those dots.
When you give the the phone the first thing they will do is pop the cover off and look at those dots--If you have another old cell phone --you can gently remove those dots and stick um in the place of the ones that got wet :headbang---I do this all the time for work phones
make sure you cant see any water spots or anything between the screen and window though!
Trust me they will replace it.Tell them it gave you a garbled screen then it wouldnt reboot

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
The wierd thing is one dot is still white. The one at the top right corner. The one that turned red is under where the battery goes. If this phone doesnt work after a few days i will try the bleach thing. There are a few water marks on teh screen though.

johnny--2k
01-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I dropped my razor in a toilet once. got it out, dried for a day and a half on the heat vent, worked fine, and I still actually have it, fully functional as my backup/international phone since it's unlocked!

Burgandy85SS
01-12-2010, 12:22 PM
I washed mine in the washing machine it barely got wet just damp and worked kinda half assed. It recieved calls but couldnt answer them.

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Well i took the screen off and wiped the water off the screen and the protective lens. Only thing is there is a little tear in the little water indicator that didnt turn red. I dont think that matters. I will just say i wanted a red case but didnt like it so I put my black one back on.

BoosTT
01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I bet it well work 90%.

HY35F2T
01-12-2010, 12:42 PM
87.3%

Feature Pony
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
It hard to say if it will work again, the corrosion will build up over time and kill it some time down the road. If you can get it to boot back up, do the desk top manager and back everything up, if you haven't done so already. Otter makes a water proof case for the blackberrys in the future you might want to pick one up.

lotsals1
01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
The wierd thing is one dot is still white. The one at the top right corner. The one that turned red is under where the battery goes. If this phone doesnt work after a few days i will try the bleach thing. There are a few water marks on teh screen though.Trust me both dots will have to be white for them to give you another one free.
Been down this rd 100 times with these clowns

DerangedPony
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
Trust me both dots will have to be white for them to give you another one free.

LoL, I'm one of those clowns for Sprint. If it's a Blackberry curve 8330, you have two water dots, one on the back and one under the trackball. We dont go by the white dot on the battery and the white dot on the upper right corner is to see if you opened the blackberry up, not for water damage.

It could work for a while after being in water. It may slowly stop working when the corrosion starts to build.

MoCkiN U
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Trust me both dots will have to be white for them to give you another one free.

clowns??? Really. WTF?

You buy some shit from a company and you fuck it up and the company is clowns for not replacing it. Then you find some jacked up work around to fraud them still. No wonder my insurance rates keep changing all the damned time on my phones.

Sounds to me like your the clown

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
clowns??? Really. WTF?

You buy some shit from a company and you fuck it up and the company is clowns for not replacing it. Then you find some jacked up work around to fraud them still. No wonder my insurance rates keep changing all the damned time on my phones.

Sounds to me like your the clown

I have insurance on my phone but as much as I pay for insurance I shouldnt have to pay the 100 dolllar deductable. Also did he say he would replace my phone free? Read before you speak. He told me how they check for damage. I could ask any worker from any company how they check for damage.

MoCkiN U
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I never quoted you. You didnt call anyone names. Neither did you provide a lengthy post on how to hide said damage. handle your business dude but maybe you should pay attention to whats being said here

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 01:53 PM
The guy above you said he was a clown thats who i thought you were talking about. Sorry my bad. I just want my phone fixed.

MoCkiN U
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
The guy above you said he was a clown thats who i thought you were talking about. Sorry my bad. I just want my phone fixed.

No, No your good. your rice trick should work. heard lots of good things about that. $100 sure as shit sucks. It used to be only $50

Silver03SRT
01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Thats why I dont want to pay it. I have plenty of other stuff I need to spend my money on.

Reverend Cooper
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
i took mine apart and and used a hair dryer on it it was fine

CarrotTop
01-12-2010, 10:37 PM
My buddy went swimming with his. Had it in swim suit pocket. We went into lazy river like 1hr later. hes like OOO SHIT..

Soo go back to hotel room take it apart(cover battery) put hair dryer on it for about 5mins at a time threw out the day let it dry for 2days i think.. Worked perfect lol.

Id say you should be fine.

T-Bag
01-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Its a Blackberry, they never break. You'll be fine.

Silver03SRT
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
Well i booted up the phone just now and everything works except for my micro sd card. I think that is shot because the phone cannot read it or format it.

MoCkiN U
01-13-2010, 03:11 PM
I had a card get wet and when I put that in the adapter and put in my computer it looked like transformer writing for each of the icons and folders. It was fudged up. Might just be that?