PDA

View Full Version : Anyone good with turbocoupes?

lotsals1
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Ok after a long break from fords I am now baffled on the turbochicken.
88 TC-5speed 80k on the clock. Love these cars ,but am baffled by the pre-ob2 FI stuff

OxmanWI
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
If you have or going to buy it...This is your new friend TCCoA.com, turbotbird.com, or turboford.org

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Cmon someone has to know this stuff!
I have replaced the tps/ the o2 sensor. it still does it.
There seems to be 3 different sensors to acheive a simple goal for everything!!!:goof
What does the distributer module ALL control on a ford? what do all those GAHY fuse links under the started solenoid all in line with?:rolleyes:
Simple things may be the answer--dunno--Love this car ,I just want to fix it.
Then restore it.Was runnin fantastic !!
Tbird forums seem to only polish their cars --anyone that has modded it removed all the Phaken Gahy sensors on these things:confused

DurtyKurty
01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
What is the car doing? What codes is it putting out?

The TFI module (in conjunction with the hall effect sensor inside the distributor) is responsible for sending the profile ignition pickup (PIP) to the ECU. (tells the ECU the position of the crank via the distributor). And receives the spark angle output (SPOUT) from the ecu on when to fire the coil. (Read: timing signal) It also is responsible for controlling dwell and other coil related crap.

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
What is the car doing? What codes is it putting out?

The TFI module (in conjunction with the hall effect sensor inside the distributor) is responsible for sending the profile ignition pickup (PIP) to the ECU. (tells the ECU the position of the crank via the distributor). And receives the spark angle output (SPOUT) from the ecu on when to fire the coil. (Read: timing signal) It also is responsible for controlling dwell and other coil related crap.Thanx --It leads me to believe this is my culprit.
It seems like 2 injectors are shuttin off or are not working.
I smell raw gas and it is hard to start yada yada.
I know with my stangs this was a comon issue.
Do you know if there is a fuse link for it?
I shorted a wire out "right where the bunch of wires comes through the firewall "dont ask " but I arced it on the brake booster "this i know for sure".
Then after my project --I went to drive it,I had the problem.
So I know i caused this.
I will try a TFI. But can they go goofy like this ? The only thing i ever had go wrong when they went bad was the car flat out wouldnt fire.???

OxmanWI
01-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Cmon someone has to know this stuff!
I have replaced the tps/ the o2 sensor. it still does it.
There seems to be 3 different sensors to acheive a simple goal for everything!!!:goof
What does the distributer module ALL control on a ford? what do all those GAHY fuse links under the started solenoid all in line with?:rolleyes:
Simple things may be the answer--dunno--Love this car ,I just want to fix it.
Then restore it.Was runnin fantastic !!
Tbird forums seem to only polish their cars --anyone that has modded it removed all the Phaken Gahy sensors on these things:confused

I have no idea what you are talking about, did you even look in the forums and do a search? Sometimes you need to look around at a couple threads and read up on the car before you ask. Newb 101!:durr

DurtyKurty
01-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanx --It leads me to believe this is my culprit.
It seems like 2 injectors are shuttin off or are not working.
I smell raw gas and it is hard to start yada yada.
I know with my stangs this was a comon issue.
Do you know if there is a fuse link for it?
I shorted a wire out "right where the bunch of wires comes through the firewall "dont ask " but I arced it on the brake booster "this i know for sure".
Then after my project --I went to drive it,I had the problem.
So I know i caused this.
I will try a TFI. But can they go goofy like this ? The only thing i ever had go wrong when they went bad was the car flat out wouldnt fire.???

I have never heard of a TFI partial fail. It's always been run or no run for me.

Off the top of my head, there is only one fusible link associated with the EEC. If it blew, you car simply wouldn't run.

There is one thing that comes to mind on these 2.3s that I think you should check. If you were digging around under the intake, it's really common to accidentally pull the PCV valve out causing a massive vacuum leak. Find the PCV valve and make sure it's plugged into the block. This could easily cause what you are describing.

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I have never heard of a TFI partial fail. It's always been run or no run for me.

Off the top of my head, there is only one fusible link associated with the EEC. If it blew, you car simply wouldn't run.

There is one thing that comes to mind on these 2.3s that I think you should check. If you were digging around under the intake, it's really common to accidentally pull the PCV valve out causing a massive vacuum leak. Find the PCV valve and make sure it's plugged into the block. This could easily cause what you are describing.I did listen for a vacume leak but i couldnt hear one. It is a weird problem ---I am also thinking i might of fried that -goofy map type sensor --i forgot what its called thow--it acts like a map sensor but it doesnt hok up to vacume--its located on the pass shock tower --"its just a thought" .Is there a scanner for these cars?
Its not tripping a ses light --but its gotta be throwing codes

BAD LS1
01-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Are these mass air cars?? being that fords live through them, they are very touchy to what kurt mentioned with maverick air that would cause inconsistent performance... But who knows an 88 t coupe is prob speed density for all i know?

And Tim you did shitty job of describing the problem it has in the first place lol

DurtyKurty
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
You wouldn't necessarily hear the leak it's such a large hole... seriously, visually check the pcv valve is seated.

If the car has a VAF or MAF then that sensor servers as a barometric pressure sensor. If the car is a speed density car, then that sensor serves as a MAP sensor. Since your car has a VAF senor, it's simply a baro sensor. That's why there isn't a hose going to it.

Most people either use a Digital VOM to read the codes or you can jump the connector and read the check engine light on the dash. Google "check codes EEC-IV" or something like that and you should find a million sights that explain how to do it.

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
You wouldn't necessarily hear the leak it's such a large hole... seriously, visually check the pcv valve is seated.

If the car has a VAF or MAF then that sensor servers as a barometric pressure sensor. If the car is a speed density car, then that sensor serves as a MAP sensor. Since your car has a VAF senor, it's simply a baro sensor. That's why there isn't a hose going to it.

Most people either use a Digital VOM to read the codes or you can jump the connector and read the check engine light on the dash. Google "check codes EEC-IV" or something like that and you should find a million sights that explain how to do it.okidoki --i'll give that a wing
I just dont understand the old f.i. stuff
Thanks for your thoughts on this tho:thumbsup

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Are these mass air cars?? being that fords live through them, they are very touchy to what kurt mentioned with maverick air that would cause inconsistent performance... But who knows an 88 t coupe is prob speed density for all i know?

And Tim you did shitty job of describing the problem it has in the first place lolYeah yeah--Tommy its got this goofy vam thingy it has some fucked up flapper door that meters the air with a sensor in it "What a pile of dogshit this setup is. To explain the issue ---I crank the car it takes a buttload time to start --once it starts it idles but surges bad ,as soon as you try to rev it a little it falls on its face and dies.Once i get going i have to go into throttle very gently or it stumbles. anything over 3k its bucks and farts.
If I actually get movin good ,If I try to boost I can here it spool but it really just sits on 5lbs and adds no power.I can smell raw gas once in a while.
What happened is I was probing a wire that came out of the firewall harness.
The crappy test light I used has dead short and arced. After it immediately started doing this,before that it ran perfect. I shorted something out,but with all the overkill sensors/modules you really have no starting point.
Trust me its getting converted to a maf setup.I found no writeup on how to test each indiv. sensor/module or even exactly wtf they will cause when they are shot:flipoff2: I see no fuses under the hood either to protect this shit:durr

BAD LS1
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Yeah yeah--Tommy its got this goofy vam thingy it has some fucked up flapper door that meters the air with a sensor in it "What a pile of dogshit this setup is. To explain the issue ---I crank the car it takes a buttload time to start --once it starts it idles but surges bad ,as soon as you try to rev it a little it falls on its face and dies.Once i get going i have to go into throttle very gently or it stumbles. anything over 3k its bucks and farts.
If I actually get movin good ,If I try to boost I can here it spool but it really just sits on 5lbs and adds no power.I can smell raw gas once in a while.
What happened is I was probing a wire that came out of the firewall harness.
The crappy test light I used has dead short and arced. After it immediately started doing this,before that it ran perfect. I shorted something out,but with all the overkill sensors/modules you really have no starting point.
Trust me its getting converted to a maf setup.I found no writeup on how to test each indiv. sensor/module or even exactly wtf they will cause when they are shot:flipoff2: I see no fuses under the hood either to protect this shit:durr

So it started the issue right after you arced it? Voltage spike can kill ecm's immediately, thats why they tell you to be careful with static electricty when handling/installing ecm chips.

lotsals1
01-11-2010, 07:46 PM
So it started the issue right after you arced it? Voltage spike can kill ecm's immediately, thats why they tell you to be careful with static electricty when handling/installing ecm chips.yup--but
When you are installing a chip --you are right at the ecm after all its surge/fuse protection yada yada yes thats a no no.but this was in the engine comp. and i believe the comp. is in the trunk. If there was nothin from point a to b to protect it any spike or amp loss would fry it. So I'm going to put my faith in Ford engineers by saying "that shouldnt of fried it". There should be voltage chokes also on the power and grounds going to it.
Im betting on a module of some sort,older f.i cars relied a lot on those because the computers were not evolved enough to support all those functions "well without being the size of a mailbox" that is.:rolf