PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for ski resorts locally.

Yooformula
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Looking to get back into skiing and want to learn to snowboard finally. What are some places within a hour or two drive to the milw area? I grew up skiing but havent in the last 15 years and I am itching to get back into it.

Um yeah, preferably ski resorts that DONT lose their ski lifts while people are riding on them!

93 Coupe
01-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Alpine Valley is probably one of the nicer hills in a relatively short driving distance.

Prince Valiant
01-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Alpine valley is nice...I've always like sunburst, which is ~20 minutes north off 45. Very reasonable prices...let me know if you go, I'll go with.

I'd love to try Holly Hill, which is also pretty close...but that's a private ski club. Likewise Oconomowoc is also private...got to find out how to join I guess.

chargedformula
01-09-2010, 12:12 AM
cascade is awesome, but it is about a 2 hour drive. it is on the way to the dells.

TransAm12sec
01-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Sunburst is the most popular locally, especially since Little Switz closed. It'll be the most crowded on a Saturday if the group Snowstar is there.

Once you're good, Cascade is the best hill within a two hour drive.

Wilmont is a nice hill(even though it is a garbage hill) by the IL border. But if you're just starting out I'd recommend Sunburst.

stealthy1ss
01-09-2010, 01:28 AM
Alpine is nice and then there is the Grand Geneva as well. The Grand only has about 3 or 4 hills but might be cheaper than Alpine.

Yooformula
01-09-2010, 01:46 AM
wow, thanks for all of the suggestions so far. just for clarification, I am not looking for bunny slopes though. Looking for mostly intermediate slopes to freshen up on and to take the family and visiting dad to.

Prince Valiant
01-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Well, all your local within an hour drive hills will be 215-300' verticals tops...but most places with have a couple decent steeps, albeit, short ones. Just a fact of life in this area.

What makes the short verticals livable are ones with enough runs, and enough lifts to keep you going quickly. Sunburst always has a decent amount of lifts...but on weekends it can be a little crowded. Alpine doesn't have too many lifts, but they do have two high speed lifts to keep what they have going quickly.

Cascade (north of madison) is probably the best slopes on the southern side of wisconsin...more than enough runs with decent enough steepness to keep it interesting. There are some mountains north (granit peak in wausau) that have decent vertical drop (~750ish), but even then, alot of it's not that steep...or it starts off steep, the flattens out considerably.

You don't get hills comparable to out east unless you go to lutzen in MN, or some of the higher end U.P. ski places.

Any of the places mentioned though in the thread have decent enough ski to bring yourself up to speed and teach the kids...I always hit sunburst a few times before heading out to Aspen.

CATNHAT
01-09-2010, 08:58 AM
We just took the kids to Olympia. Just b/c of proximity and price. We still rent until we decide to fully commit to the sport. Olympia was a lot cheaper than Alpine Valley, and closer ($200 for tix and rentals vs 300 at Alpine). We had a great time and lines were minimal. There seemed to be a lot of jumps and stuff for the snowboarders. Snowboarding looks fun though. The bad part about Olympia is that the chalet is a dump.

Best skiing around here is at Indianhead in the UP. A little longer drive, but the best skiing.

Korndogg
01-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Best skiing around here is at Indianhead in the UP. A little longer drive, but the best skiing.

I used to go to Pine Mountain all the time because my parents cabin is 10 minutes from it. I need to get into that again.

Crawlin
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm a snowboarder. I've done Olympia and they have a nice quick little run. But the difference in price to go to Alpine gets you alot more decisions on what path to take. I'd rather just suck up the drive and go to cascade though for a day trip.

if you want to make it a cheap overnight excursion, i'm going to granite peak at the end of february with a couple of friends. That's up in Wausau and is even bigger than Cascade. Just have to suck up the long drive and a weekend stay.

I think the girlfriend got some hotel suite with a half kitchen and "romantic getaway" package for like $500 w/ one day passes for skiing the hill.

Prince Valiant
01-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Best skiing around here is at Indianhead in the UP. A little longer drive, but the best skiing.My two favorites:

Mount Bohemia (http://mtbohemia.com/)
Lutzen mountain (http://www.lutsen.com/winter/index.cfm)

Both offer Colorado levels of snow (300+ inches a year) since they're on the shores of superior, both have near 1000'ft verticals, both offer some challenging skiing, even approaching out west levels of difficulty (especially bohemia which is basically an expert with a couple intermediate runs...while lutzen runs the gamut).

Here's a good vid of bohemia:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MM8lctZOxnI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MM8lctZOxnI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Too bad both are some 8+ hours away :(
but then...that's part of the reason I'm getting my pilots license, lol.

T-Bag
01-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I'd recommend Sunburst if you're just looking to get back into skiing/teach the kids. The best time to go to Sunburst to learn is Friday nights , the run their bargain night for $35 you get lift ticket and a 1 1/2 hour. It does get a little crowded but at least you get the lesson cheaper. Cascade is not really for first timers, although its not really difficult either.

Yooformula
01-09-2010, 02:20 PM
going to look up the places listed. thanks again everyone! want to make sure they are open midweek as that is primarily when we plan on going to avoid crowds and shit.

dan gagt
01-09-2010, 03:41 PM
I snowboard quite a bit at Wilmot mountain and have since I started riding because i live nearby (actually a snowboard instructor there now). It is not the largest hill out there but its definitely alot of fun. I really didn't like Grand Geneva at all the one time i went there but i know alpine is pretty nice as well.

y2kws6
01-10-2010, 10:35 PM
My favorite is Ski Brule, but it is a haul up north. Still about 45 minutes from my parents place. They have cabins and everything.

http://www.skibrule.com/

Dan