PDA

View Full Version : Home audio/video questions

loud91rs
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Alright I've been doing my research and it seems to go back and forth so I figured I'd ask you guys since I know a bunch of you are really into this stuff...
I have this tv:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+REGZA+/+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9298477.p?id=1218081119875&skuId=9298477

It apparently has an up converter built in. I also have an xbox 360 and blu ray player, both using hdmi cables. I am now in the market for a new receiver/speakers. Here's my question, If I were to buy a receiver with built in 4 hdmi inputs, and one output, could I hook everything up to the receiver, and then have a hdmi line going to the tv and still have everything in 1080p, or do I have to buy an up scaling receiver as well to get 1080p through it? What brands of receivers should I look at/stay away from? I was thinking yamaha. The speakers I am looking into are the klipsch hd500 system. Thanks in advance!

Cryptic
01-06-2010, 10:05 AM
If I were to buy a receiver with built in 4 hdmi inputs, and one output, could I hook everything up to the receiver, and then have a hdmi line going to the tv and still have everything in 1080p,

That's the whole point of going through the receiver. 1 place to switch inputs for video and sound.

Up-scaling is only for taking in a standard definition source like a VCR or DVD player. So you only want up-scaling if you give a shit what your DVD's look like.

loud91rs
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
The salesperson at American said that if I go from my blu ray player with hdmi to the receiver, with an hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv, it will not be 1080p without an up scaling receiver. I don't understand how the receiver would reduce the quality, unless he is full of shit.

07ROUSHSTG3
01-06-2010, 11:04 AM
The salesperson at American said that if I go from my blu ray player with hdmi to the receiver, with an hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv, it will not be 1080p without an up scaling receiver. I don't understand how the receiver would reduce the quality, unless he is full of shit.

i think he maybe meant passthrough?!?!

Got Boost
01-06-2010, 02:32 PM
The salesperson at American said that if I go from my blu ray player with hdmi to the receiver, with an hdmi cable from the receiver to the tv, it will not be 1080p without an up scaling receiver. I don't understand how the receiver would reduce the quality, unless he is full of shit.whenever you use you reciever as a switch you degrade the signal sightly ,, never really a big issue though, you probabally couldent see the difference .. the best signal is always direct , but the reciever makes it so convient ,, so if your reciever has a HDMI it should pass 1080P ...What kind of reciever are we talking about???

loud91rs
01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Yamaha for about 300 dollars at American with 4 hdmi inputs

Got Boost
01-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Should pass 1080P .. I guess you could go to Yamaha website and confirm this...Some more expensive recievers use different scalers and such but yours should be no problem to pass 1080P.. American probabally trird to sell you a more expensive piece

Neal Steffek
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
As someone who has sold this stuff for years I can tell you he was either full of crap, or just didnt know what he was talking about.

You will not lose any single quality gong from blu-ray to reciever to TV, as long as it is all HDMI.

loud91rs
01-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Well thank you guys for your help! It sounded like he was full of crap, and wanted me to buy the more expensive sony upconvert receiver. It just didn't make sense to me why it would lower quality.

Cryptic
01-07-2010, 03:11 PM
My uncle hit me with this tid bit:

Some recievers that switch hdmi are passthru video only, so sourrce in -> source out
Some better recievers do upconvert the signal before sending out.
2 very different types of receivers and to big price differences

I can see why it makes this a bit confusing.

07ROUSHSTG3
01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
My uncle hit me with this tid bit:

I can see why it makes this a bit confusing.

i was confused as hell when i was searching for a reciever. you guys around here were great help. knew more than the people at the store that is for sure!!