PDA

View Full Version : Energy loss help

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
01-06-2010, 08:50 AM
Looking for a window assesment to evaluate the efficency of windows where I rent. Anyone have free assesments?

Also looking for a assesment on some thermostats.

Yooformula
01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Ben curious but, why do you need to check the efficiency of the windows where you rent? its not like they would let you replace windows are they?

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Ben curious but, why do you need to check the efficiency of the windows where you rent? its not like they would let you replace windows are they?

Exactly. If you think it's an issue just do the plastic stuff.

animal
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
In some places if you upgrade their apartment for them they'll discount rent to compensate. Depends on the landlord. In my last apartment I had considered putting in my own central air but they only willing to partially compensate me for it. Had they knocked off the equivalent money or even come close in rent discounts i'd have paid for that in a heartbeat.

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Fuck putting money into an apartment. The work, the time, the effort. Not worth it. Windows are expensive too. I got a quote on windows for my house...$40,000 later. Move to a newer more efficient place.

jbiscuit
01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
^ +1. Don't waste your time or money. Chances are your landlord will raise your rent 2 months later anyways

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
The windows don't seal for shit. And i've called them on it a few times, they have also seen it in person and keep making excuses.

juicedimpss
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Fuck putting money into an apartment. The work, the time, the effort. Not worth it. Windows are expensive too. I got a quote on windows for my house...$40,000 later. Move to a newer more efficient place.

you have a mansion?

juicedimpss
01-06-2010, 12:52 PM
The windows don't seal for shit. And i've called them on it a few times, they have also seen it in person and keep making excuses.

caulk them bitches shut and call it a day.

That_Guy
01-06-2010, 01:05 PM
agreed..

i did this on a sliding glass door we have at my rental house and it cut a shit pot full of draft out of the bed room not to mention if i truely need to get through that door i swift jerk and its open.

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Just do the plastic. Shit works great.

you have a mansion?

Nope. Just 18 size windows windows and two sliding doors ($5k each). It really shouldn't be that much but Weathertight is a bunch of anal stretching rapists. I laugh at them every time I see them now.

jbiscuit
01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
For $40k you could hire 11 naked models to hand make the windows on site and install them with sheer nipple force.

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 01:29 PM
For $40k you could hire 11 naked models to hand make the windows on site and install them with sheer nipple force.

Is that a quote? :thumbsup

juicedimpss
01-06-2010, 01:30 PM

whats the number for that place?

juicedimpss
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
Is that a quote? :thumbsup

it is now. :rolf

GRNDNL
01-06-2010, 01:56 PM

LOL............:rolf

I don't get it..........could someone post up a pic?.............

pOrk
01-06-2010, 03:16 PM

Dude, installing windows is mad easy and you can get energy efficient rebate windows from Menards for 100 bucks each. Let me know if you want to see if they have your size and we will check it out, I'll help install too :thumbsup Come on over and try mine out first if you want to see the quality

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Dude, installing windows is mad easy and you can get energy efficient rebate windows from Menards for 100 bucks each. Let me know if you want to see if they have your size and we will check it out, I'll help install too :thumbsup Come on over and try mine out first if you want to see the quality

That's what we figured we would do. I hear they are pretty easy to install. I'd love the help when I get around to it. I was thinking about doing the windows on the front of the house first and then maybe the ones on the back.

The only windows I'm concerned with is the one in the living room which is about 8'wx6'h.

pOrk
01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
That's what we figured we would do. I hear they are pretty easy to install. I'd love the help when I get around to it. I was thinking about doing the windows on the front of the house first and then maybe the ones on the back.

The only windows I'm concerned with is the one in the living room which is about 8'wx6'h.

I have two of those huge ass picture windows, neither of which are getting replaced with my salary. I was quoted 2400 bucks per window, just double pane glass not installed. Yikes

michelle
01-06-2010, 03:37 PM

They have temporary caulk too that goes on clear and then you can just peal it off in the spring/summer. Adam did that to a few of ours that are getting replaced in the spring.

1997 Trans-Am
01-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Dont go to menards or Homeboy Depot for replacement windows. There the junkiest of the junk that you can get. Those prices seem really high for the other guys who posted in here.

If you pay 40 grand for 18windows and 2 patio doors your crazy.........

you might wanna call up Alside(new berlin) or Norandex Reynolds(milwaukee by the stadium) for some prices.

pOrk
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Dont go to menards or Homeboy Depot for replacement windows. There the junkiest of the junk that you can get. Those prices seem really high for the other guys who posted in here. If you pay 40 grand for just that your crazy

My windows kick ass from Menards, and my energy bill was cut in half from last year.

juicedimpss
01-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Dont go to menards or Homeboy Depot for replacement windows. There the junkiest of the junk that you can get. Those prices seem really high for the other guys who posted in here. If you pay 40 grand for just that your crazy
they are a shitty window,however,they are still better than windows from the 50s. I have done a few in my house so far,and they seemed to have sealed up the room,but both of them have condensation between the panes.

1997 Trans-Am
01-06-2010, 03:47 PM
they are a shitty window,however,they are still better than windows from the 50s. I have done a few in my house so far,and they seemed to have sealed up the room,but both of them have condensation between the panes.

yeah they are better then the old ones for sure. I do window install for a living and dealing with the better manufactureres everyday like i do, and then installing the random menards window for some jobs is actually quite funny how cheap and junky they are.

the condensation is from a broken seal. You will need to have the sash replaced with a new one. So use up your warranty. the 2 pieces of glass separated from the seal that holds them together allowing the moisture in. fyi

Exitspeed
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
If you pay 40 grand for 18windows and 2 patio doors your crazy.........

I'd never actually pay that much. Weathertight is crazy.

jbiscuit
01-06-2010, 06:38 PM
you get what you pay for for sure with windows...but don't be scared of the Menards units though either. I put Jeld Wen replacements in my house and I have NO drafts anymore. Energy bill cut way down and easy to install. Even the special orders fit great. I would recommend these to anyone not planning to retire in their current home. My dad bought top of the line Anderson's this past summer for his house and half of them were made too short :rolf They didn't install any easier or provide any additional benefit that I saw other than they match his interior trim.

Karps TA
01-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Weathertight is crazy for all there stuff. I had them do a estimate on my roof. They wanted $15K. It took all I had not to bust out laughing.

Champion has pretty good pricing and does decent work.

Lash
01-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Aren't you the guy who couldn't replace a door?

awsomeears
01-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Ben if nobody is in the home while everyone is at work get a programmable thermostat.

I too live in a APT with shitty windows and such, I purchased a nice and easy 3M kit and sealed up all of my windows.

Hell you can see the plastic moving when its windy out, about $30 for the kit and I'm happy. Its simple effective and well does the job for a place you don't own :thumbsup

pOrk
01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Aren't you the guy who couldn't replace a door?

Couldn't and not confident enough are two different things. I am not confident with tearing down all the dry wall around my door, taking the old frame out and putting a new one in as I've never done it before. I've done windows before, and they are entirely different.

Lash
01-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Couldn't and not confident enough are two different things. I am not confident with tearing down all the dry wall around my door, taking the old frame out and putting a new one in as I've never done it before. I've done windows before, and they are entirely different.

You don't have to remove drywall. Just the casing trim. Pop the trim off and you'll see. The drywall is just up to the rough opening. The frame/jamb slides into that. Then the trim to close it off. If you match up the correct door to the rough opening size.... it's the same as installing a window.

pOrk
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
You don't have to remove drywall. Just the casing trim. Pop the trim off and you'll see. The drywall is just up to the rough opening. The frame/jamb slides into that. Then the trim to close it off. If you match up the correct door to the rough opening size.... it's the same as installing a window.

Without you seeing the door, its hard to explain. And by drywall, I meant plaster as its an old house. Its not as simple as a normal exterior door. There isn't any 'trim' either.

Lash
01-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Without you seeing the door, its hard to explain. And by drywall, I meant plaster as its an old house. Its not as simple as a normal exterior door. There isn't any 'trim' either.

Gotchya! :thumbsup

I don't like plaster!