View Full Version : Tall Buildings

TransAm12sec
01-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Burj Dubai: 2,684 feet

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/01/04/dubai.skyscraper/index.html

http://uptowndowntownnyc.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/tallest-buildings.jpg

Exitspeed
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Fuck Dubai. I bet that building never gets finished now.

TransAm12sec
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
It opened today.

"The Arab emirate's colossal, multibillion-dollar skyscraper, Burj Dubai, opens for business Monday, stretching 168 stories and 2,684 feet into the desert sky."

Exitspeed
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM
It opened today.

"The Arab emirate's colossal, multibillion-dollar skyscraper, Burj Dubai, opens for business Monday, stretching 168 stories and 2,684 feet into the desert sky."

lol. oops. :rolf

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Pretty sweet article about da deal here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1240280/Burj-Dubai-tallest-building-world-opens-just-months-debt-crisis.html

MoCkiN U
01-04-2010, 04:33 PM
international finance center in hong kong says "one of the few buildings in the world with double decker elevators" wonder how that looks?

Crawlin
01-04-2010, 04:44 PM
it's awesome to be looking at some of the footage of that being built in class. jst the design process and the changes you have to make for the simplest thing like wind

TransAm12sec
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
-It can sway up to 6 ft in high winds
-The suns heat makes it lean up to 3 ft due to the metal expanding
-The foundations are 150 ft deep, and it has already sunk 2.4 inches

pOrk
01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
That building is awesome, yet 90% unfinished on the interior. Why are they celebrating?

Its gonna fall.

jbiscuit
01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
it won't fall. It's engineering genius. Dubai is where its at for the richest rich...this will be one of the most upscale buildings in the world once 100% complete. The Petronas Towers in Malaysia are super baller too. Watched an entire show on the history channel about them

TransAm12sec
01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
That building is awesome, yet 90% unfinished on the interior. Why are they celebrating?

It helps the prestige of Dubai. The fact that they are in debt; opening the worlds tallest building helps tourism, their #1 source of income.

VroomPshhTsi
01-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Dubai is where its at for the richest rich..

Perhaps you have not read the news lately... Dubai isn't doing so hot, yes they are "rich" but they are in debt up the butt

Al
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I am still impressed at the size of the Empire State building. 79 years old and it still ranks in the top 10.

awsomeears
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Looking at those pictures in Dubi honestly Scares me, its just to advanced. Almost like a story book .........

Just and odd feeling I get seeing these pictures, weird

wrath
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
The top 46 floors are closets. I'm not impressed.

I'm sure the build quality is just as good as everything else they have. I'll be surprised if it's still standing when I die.

BoosTT
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
What about the chiacgo spiral thing??

BoosTT
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Al
01-04-2010, 10:37 PM

They say it is on indifinite delay due to lending difficulties.

The real problem is actually associated to the incorrect thread direction of the spire. Reverse thread = fail.

lordairgtar
01-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Did you notice that the foreign buildings claim the antenna in the height statistics and the US ones don't

hrsp
01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
I am still impressed at the size of the Empire State building. 79 years old and it still ranks in the top 10.

very impressive !!

hrsp
01-05-2010, 12:16 AM
i think the Shanghai one looks the coolest...the "freedom tower" doesnt look that impressive in that lil comparison...

97z2801ss
01-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I think its super cool that they designed a building like that, as far as if it will fall or anything only time will tell, with the metal expanding and the leaning dont you think something would break?

-stew-
01-05-2010, 01:33 AM

Designed my men who may not have had phone in their homes, much less one in their pocket. Calculations were done on paper. Models were made of wood and plaster of Paris. The most technologically advance item in the room was probably an electric light bulb. If they were luck they had an AM radio. Men who wore suits, had booze in their desks, and ashtrays on their drawing tables.

And it was built by men who couldn't spell the word safety, much less apply the practice. Men who may or may not have been drunk. They walked beams hundreds of feet up in the air with no safety gear aside from a hard hat. They carried buckets of hot coals and threw red hot rivets and caught them with pliers. They worked because they needed money and were thankful to have a job. There was no OSHA, no unions, no human resources department, no mandated sick days so you can stay home paid because you have a cold. No fraudulent workers compensation cases. You came to work and were thankful you didn't have polio.

Technology is amazing, but the power of a men willing to do great things will out out shine all the iPhone apps in the world.

88Nightmare
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Designed my men who may not have had phone in their homes, much less one in their pocket. Calculations were done on paper. Models were made of wood and plaster of Paris. The most technologically advance item in the room was probably an electric light bulb. If they were luck they had an AM radio. Men who wore suits, had booze in their desks, and ashtrays on their drawing tables.

And it was built by men who couldn't spell the word safety, much less apply the practice. Men who may or may not have been drunk. They walked beams hundreds of feet up in the air with no safety gear aside from a hard hat. They carried buckets of hot coals and threw red hot rivets and caught them with pliers. They worked because they needed money and were thankful to have a job. There was no OSHA, no unions, no human resources department, no mandated sick days so you can stay home paid because you have a cold. No fraudulent workers compensation cases. You came to work and were thankful you didn't have polio.

Technology is amazing, but the power of a men willing to do great things will out out shine all the iPhone apps in the world.

well put, sir

jbiscuit
01-05-2010, 07:26 AM
agree bigtime that the Empire State Building is amazing that its so old yet timeless design today.

And yes Dubai has bigtime debt but that doesn't have anything to do with the cheddar that lives in the city or near it. I'm talking about residents. Big time money in that area.

Al
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
I wonder how big of an airplane will be needed to bring Burj Dubai down?

VroomPshhTsi
01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
There was a quote in the paper today about how one of the designers said a plane can't poke through this building like it did with the WTC. This building apparently has reinforced concrete and not steel. Idk though, after looking at how skinny this building is, I wouldn't doubt that a plane could take it down.

VroomPshhTsi
01-05-2010, 08:11 PM
1 of 5 part documentary on the tower:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfPe9YJTIU4

Al
01-06-2010, 12:45 AM
There was a quote in the paper today about how one of the designers said a plane can't poke through this building like it did with the WTC. This building apparently has reinforced concrete and not steel. Idk though, after looking at how skinny this building is, I wouldn't doubt that a plane could take it down.

The real question is "how big of a plane is needed."

Got Boost
01-06-2010, 07:26 AM
The top 46 floors are closets. I'm not impressed.

I'm sure the build quality is just as good as everything else they have. I'll be surprised if it's still standing when I die.Then what building Impresses you then,,,?????

Korndogg
01-06-2010, 08:32 AM
no unions.

I'm not going to get into another union debate on here because its pointless but your wrong on that one.

good post though

07ROUSHSTG3
01-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Saudi Arabia has already announced that they are going higher.

GTSLOW
01-06-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm not going to get into another union debate on here because its pointless but your wrong on that one.

good post though

:wooo :popcorn

FoxStang
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Did you notice that the foreign buildings claim the antenna in the height statistics and the US ones don't

That's because on the foreign buildings, they're actually structurally part of the building, built into the original plans. The antennas on the US buildings, however, are not.

Dubai is crazy, every time you go, the city has changed. Work there isn't slowing as much as the news would have you believe, though lots of the crazier projects got put on hold.

wrath
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Then what building Impresses you then,,,?????

Empire State Building and Sears Tower.

DurtyKurty
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM
I wonder how that Freedom Tower is coming along.... :rolleyes:

Moparjim
01-07-2010, 12:41 PM
it won't fall. It's engineering genius. Dubai is where its at for the richest rich...this will be one of the most upscale buildings in the world once 100% complete. The Petronas Towers in Malaysia are super baller too. Watched an entire show on the history channel about them

That used to be true. Now they are broke, and people are fleeing. They recently had to be bailed out by their neighbors. Property values in Dubai and in that building have plummeted 50% or more. They were originally selling and trying to get like $2000 a sq ft for space in that building, now they can't move any of it for half that. Plus, that new building has some HUGE upkeep/maintenance fees your signing on for. It is most likely going to be a huge bust, and is going to sit there largely empty and eventually sold at fire sale prices.

They overbuilt and massively borrowed the money to do so. Strangely, they actually have very little oil actually in Dubai, and relied on trading/commerce for much of their wealth.

Moparjim
01-07-2010, 12:46 PM
I think its super cool that they designed a building like that, as far as if it will fall or anything only time will tell, with the metal expanding and the leaning dont you think something would break?

I believe I read that the entire thing is made of reinforced concrete, one of the reasons they think it is so superior and much stronger than a steel framed construction. The show I was watching they even had the balls to say something to that effect, pointing out how there is no way an airplane would slice through it like those crappy steel world trade towers of ours.... I am more than a bit skeptical, but time will tell. It sounds like they designed it on the fly lol, as in they just kept going higher and the original design was only supposed to be like 30 feet taller than the Taipei thing in order to take the record, but they just kept redesigning and going higher...

T-Bag
01-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I could have swore I heard on the news that Dubai was back on the upswing and investors are not so scared anymore...

Also I'm sure the Burj Kalafia (or however its spelled, renamed to that on opening) is built A LOT better than the Sears towern etc. You honestly think they cheap out on a building that enormous that requires tons of engineering and a pretty advanced building process? Did anyone watch the documentary?

Are all the haters just jealous that the world's tallest building is built in an arab nation and not America?

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-07-2010, 01:10 PM
I'd rather live on the streets in the United States of America than in the penthouse of a building in one of the most bass ackwards regions of the world.
Sorry but F those people, F their country and F their building.
Chicago rules.

T-Bag
01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
I'd rather live on the streets in the United States of America than in the penthouse of a building in one of the most bass ackwards regions of the world.
Sorry but F those people, F their country and F their building.
Chicago rules.

What's wrong with Dubai? a. It's financed by mostly wealthy Americans. I bet you have a better chance of getting shit on in the street of Chicago than Dubai.

Some people are so close minded. Reminds me of Team America....AMERICA, FUCK YEAH

Get real.

FoxStang
01-07-2010, 08:13 PM
What's wrong with Dubai? a. It's financed by mostly wealthy Americans. I bet you have a better chance of getting shit on in the street of Chicago than Dubai.

Some people are so close minded. Reminds me of Team America....AMERICA, FUCK YEAH

Get real.
I'm pretty sure the crime rate in Dubai makes Chicago look like one of the crime capitals of the world. Talk to people that actually have been there / work there, its a complete misconception of how many would stereotype the rest of the middle east.

FoxStang
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Woops, quoted wrong post, that was meant for Windsors 03 Cobra.

T-Bag
01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the crime rate in Dubai makes Chicago look like one of the crime capitals of the world. Talk to people that actually have been there / work there, its a complete misconception of how many would stereotype the rest of the middle east.

Bingo

Once again AMERICA....FUCK YEAH.

C'mom people, open up your minds a little. Just because its situated in the middle east doesn't mean its packed with towel dwelling terrorists planning their next attack on America. Infact...its inhabitated by mainly caucasions.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Towel dwelling ? Sorry I just dont like that area of the world as all I ever hear about is in my 30 fricken years on the planet "TROUBLE IN THE MIDDLE EAST"

Maybe team America should abandon ship and get out of the middle east only trouble is the bums in dirty nightshirts with sheets on their heads highjack planes and run them into buildings.
Atleast wealthy Dubai caucassians ? are build "plane proof" buildings.

Chicago is a crime capital of our world, the crime zone is 4 sqaure miles on the south side and if your not a tweaker, banger or moron you'll never be in that zone to even have an issue.

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM
F Yeah !

T-Bag
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
The only reason you ONLY hear negative things about the middle east is because the news has no desire to report anything positive. It wouldn't be interesting for their viewers.

P.s. You can blame the terrorists in saudi arabia for the planes taking down buildings.

Are you really that closed minded? Do you watch fox news all day and listen to Rush Limbaugh like he is moses?

Moparjim
01-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I have no real political bias to what I said. Simply, as an engineer, I am skeptical as I said of anything that is:

A) Almost twice as high as anything existing - around 1000 ft higher as reported thus far. Over double the Empire State building. I have not seen actual dimensions, but it looks from the pics to be the thinnest of any of these towers as well. Sorry, I'm just a little skeptical lol.

B) Was "designed on the fly" to be that tall. According to the story I saw, they basically added the last 900 feet or so as they went along. I am fairly sure that is why the actual height wasn't released - THEY DON'T KNOW EXACTLY! until they "decide" that it is done lol. Again, I am pretty nervous about a 2700 ft building designed and built on a foundation/base that was originally designed to be 1700 ft or so...

C) I brought up the debt and cost and property crash - all documented facts. Even if the building stays up it will most likely be a collossal boondoggle, since it sounds like hardly any of the space has been sold and that which has been sold has crashed in value. The massiveness of the building also comes with a massiveness of upkeep and service costs as well. So, it sounds likely to me that the building overall will be a failure.

TOO BIG AND TOO EXPENSIVE...

Windsors 03 Cobra
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Republicrats will be glad it was built by slaves and not union labor. Hoep those guys have good crapsmanship for 2 cents an hour. :thumbsup

Prince Valiant
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Do you watch fox news all day and listen to Rush Limbaugh like he is moses?
Do you? I can't recall an instance in which Rush voices displeasure over the UAE/Dubai...

As a matter of fact, I believe I recall that he has in the past voiced support for the UAE/Dubai in general, since by "middle eastern standards," UAE posses a relatively tolerant society (though by western standards, not as much).

07ROUSHSTG3
01-08-2010, 01:31 PM
its a really tall building?!?! how did we get to Rush Limbaugh?!?! LOL!

CPonyGo
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I watched a show on this building and its insane..but the one thing that was funny was that they were bring in tons of workers to test their block wall building skills! after a bunch were gone thru the GC said that they would have walls built better than any in the US..lol..should have seen the walls they would put up and then take down and the fact that one whole side was over 2 inches out and growing as they went up..They found the issue several floors below that the location of the measurment device was improperly placed or had been moved for some installation and not replaced correctly..They had to do a complete wind tunnel assessment and came to the conclusion it would be okay by adding 2 more feet of wall at the base to compensate for the offset many floors above........I say down in a few years..lol

oh and OSHA would have had a field day there...

T-Bag
01-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Do you? I can't recall an instance in which Rush voices displeasure over the UAE/Dubai...

As a matter of fact, I believe I recall that he has in the past voiced support for the UAE/Dubai in general, since by "middle eastern standards," UAE posses a relatively tolerant society (though by western standards, not as much).

My bad for assuming his position, I really don't listen to him, just overhear him from coworkers' radios.

FoxStang
01-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Republicrats will be glad it was built by slaves and not union labor. Hoep those guys have good crapsmanship for 2 cents an hour. :thumbsup

Government pays for their living arrangements and makes sure only people that are willing to work will work, so it's not as bad as other countries with their slave labor. Most of the labor is imported from elsewhere and anyone that commits a crime is out of there, so there's real incentive to do what your told.

On a sidenote, you mentioned the most dangerous part of Chicago, I'm not just talking about the worst crimes, crime in general. There's all kinds of crime all over Chicago, I'm willing to bet even significantly higher with just petty crimes.

pOrk
01-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Dubai is safe? Really? STFU unless you've been there. I am in Chicago 8-10 times a year and have NEVER had a problem. My cousin was in Dubai for 3 weeks and had been twice by punk ass teenagers when he was going for his morning stroll alone. Never had a problem when he was with his friends.

05caddyext
01-09-2010, 08:27 AM
The building won't fall. The empire state building is still standing and I can guarantee nothing they did was OSHA approved either. Building standards have changed a lot since then, the building won't fall.

T-Bag
01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Dubai is safe? Really? STFU unless you've been there. I am in Chicago 8-10 times a year and have NEVER had a problem. My cousin was in Dubai for 3 weeks and had been twice by punk ass teenagers when he was going for his morning stroll alone. Never had a problem when he was with his friends.

Maybe he was in the wrong place at the wrong time? Not saying that like a jackass...just literally. Dubai's has a very very low crime rate...it might be due to the very harsh punishments. Much lower than Chicago. Search Dubai's crime rate, you'll find it is almost non-existent.