PDA

View Full Version : New Traffic Laws for 2010

Holeshot
01-01-2010, 05:46 PM
New Traffic Laws for 2010
Updated: Dec 31, 2009 1:56 PM

New traffic laws take effect on Friday, January 1, giving drivers more leeway for passing left-turning vehicles and making U-turns.

Passing on the shoulder

Drivers may now pass a left-turning vehicle on the right using a paved shoulder, if the following conditions are met:

* The vehicle being passed must be turning left
* The passing vehicle must keep all four wheels on the pavement or paved shoulder

You can't use the shoulder to pass a slow-moving vehicle. And there is still no passing on an unpaved, or soft, shoulder.

U-turns

Another state law now allows U-turns at controlled intersections. The U-turn most be made from the left-most lane. There are some exceptions:

* Signs are posted prohibiting a U-turn
* The intersection is not on a curve or hill where visibility is less than 500 feet
* No backing up is permitted as part of the U-turn

Drivers making a U-turn have the right-of-way to traffic on the intersecting street. This means drivers attempting a right-hand turn from the intersecting street must first yield to the vehicle making a U-turn.

Later in 2010, on June 1st, anyone operating a motor vehicle will be required to show proof of insurance.

Crawlin
01-01-2010, 05:49 PM
proof of insurance for the WIN!!!

ok, let's place bets....

first one is on the insurane industry NOT lowering rates even though in theory their losses should go down because of that.

second one is that hopefully oru budget should go up as they start giving out a whole bunch more tickets. I say make them park that shit on the side and have someone else come pick up the car, just like if you have a suspended license.

Prince Valiant
01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
first one is on the insurane industry NOT lowering rates even though in theory their losses should go down because of that.
Well, it would seem that in theory it would...however, because we are now required to double the mandated minimum coverage, our insurance will still end up costing more.

However, in my opinion, by mandating insurance, that doesn't necessarily mean rates would go down...as insurance companies always have to compete no coverage, ie no cost. Now, you've just made illegal one option, and thus further minimized the affect that the (small and wrong) competitor had in the market place.

I don't think it'll end up having much effect bringing prices down though...those that drove without insurance will continue to do so, especially since the cheapest form of insurance (minimum coverage) just shot up in price due to the new mandates. As a matter of fact, there may be more uninsured drivers with the new rates. These are people that still have nothing to take should they cause property damage to you, so your own insurance will still have to cover your losses.

it's all about the laws of unintended consequences...

davidrab
01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Interesting. I'm glad you posted this. These were two of my pet peeves. I
guess they just gave in and made them legal :)

Crawlin
01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
doubling liability coverage adds maybe $5/month

one less trip to McD's

PureSound15
01-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Change to insurance didn't impact my insurance dues too much.

People making U-turns at intersections has always pissed me off because

A) it was illegal
2) Not enough people do it so that others expect to see it

and

III) People will still do it at intersections where it's marked as illegal.

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
glad the u turn thing was switched. most states I lived in allowed u turns unless otherwise posted.

1320PNY
01-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm glad they made u-turns legal. I came from another state and I assumed I could do them. Glad I never got popped.

As for insurance, I have always had insurance and been hit byuninsured or underinsured motorists. Criminals just add the fines to the piles they don't intend on paying anyway. I would assume nobody without insurance will give a shit now either.

Holeshot
01-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I would assume nobody without insurance will give a shit now either.

Agreed. You will also need to show proof to register your car and renew plates. Guess we will be seeing a shit ton of cars with stolen or no plates late this year.

Russ Jerome
01-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Mandatory insurance: No sunset rule on rates would be my bet, rates like tax's never lower after making the the fat cats vacation homes, they just bigger homes.

Coops Brother
01-01-2010, 07:48 PM
glad the u turn thing was switched. most states I lived in allowed u turns unless otherwise posted.

If more people would learn to read a map so they know where they are going there would be no need for U-turns. :rolf:rolf:rolf

Crawlin
01-01-2010, 08:04 PM
it's because of those damn GPS units...

i swear they take you SO far outta the way those U-Turns are required, hahaha.

So yes Brian, I agree with you ::) hhahah

GTSLOW
01-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I make U turns at controlled intersections anyways :goof

Excellent on the insurance thing!!

TransAm12sec
01-01-2010, 09:36 PM

The way I heard it from an insurance employee was more people in poor areas that don't normally have insurance will hit each other, therefore they'll have to pay out more, so less profit.

LIZMO
01-01-2010, 09:46 PM
any proof of the u-turn thing being legal now? i'll have to make some calls.

Larrygto
01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
it's because of those damn GPS units...

i swear they take you SO far outta the way those U-Turns are required, hahaha.

So yes Brian, I agree with you ::) hhahah

My GPS tells me to make U turns al the time!:goof

wrath
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Due to the directional nature of Bluemound outside of Ghettowaukee County, U-turns are required unless you want to be driving through parking lots or taking giant loops through Newbertucky or Brookfield. It's probably the only reason they changed it.

Now if they'd make left hand turn lanes the LAST to go instead of first, institute no left hand turns at busy intersections, and put concrete down on busy roads instead of 3-years-and-it's-wasted asphalt, they'd be good to go.