PDA

View Full Version : Wtf is wrong with the NFL?

Yooformula
12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
So organizations can just lay their teams down if they dont need the win to get into the playoffs? And somehow thats ok to prevent injury BUT they will have them play in the Pro-Bowl BEFORE the Superbowl? what sense does that make? Who are the brain farts that wanted more games added to the season btw? Are these the same morons that would be ok with a team president choosing to sandbag games? I lost all respect for the Colts franchise after listening to the douchebag president of theirs saying going undefeated isnt a priority.....isnt WINNING GAMES the goal? Talk about a rip for the fans, IMO the teams owe it to their fans to at least TRY to win it all especially if they were poised for it.

ok pointless rant is over.:devil

hrsp
12-30-2009, 01:31 AM
the pro-bowl before the Superbowl is retarded...

winning games is the goal...(kinda) winning the superbowl is the goal every year...
If your team like the colts has everything locked up in terms of bye and homefield advantage then they are playing for what??? stats? the fans pleasure? I think it is good to get the back-ups some plying time just incase there is an injury the next guy would atleast have some reps...like the colts back-up qb....

if caldwell left manning in the game and he got hurt and he couldnt play would he be crucified? injuries can happen at anytime but there is no need to put your franchise qb in jeopardy for meaning less week 16 game...

i would have liked to see them go 16-0 and im sure manning wanted it as well...but if you asked all the players on the pats 16-0 team if they would take a 15-1 record and a Superbowl ring id guess they would all take the ring...

OxmanWI
12-30-2009, 01:46 AM
I would have to agree, if you're locked in the payoffs with 1st bye / home field I would rest the starters like a pre-season game. There's no reason to risk the starters with injury for a meaningless game compared to a divisional payoff game.

Yooformula
12-30-2009, 02:14 AM
as a fan, I want to see my team try to win every game. but again, it adds to my other question, why put more games in the season then? just more incentive to sandbag games towards the end of the season.

Car Guy
12-30-2009, 02:21 AM
the pro-bowl is retarded...

Fixed...!!! :thumbsup

Neal Steffek
12-30-2009, 02:49 AM
The pro bowl is played the week before the SB. Anyone in the SB does not go to the Pro Bowl. Thought you all knew that.

hrsp
12-30-2009, 04:31 AM
The pro bowl is played the week before the SB. Anyone in the SB does not go to the Pro Bowl. Thought you all knew that.

i know but if you have a colts-saint superbowl fans wont see the many superstars on these team play...makes the prowbowl even less intriguing..

Karps TA
12-30-2009, 08:36 AM
It'll be worse if they make the season 18 games long. Teams could stop playing their starters with 4-5 weeks left in the season.

Personally I think the Colts made a huge mistake. They haven't been playing all that great this season. Lots of 4th quarter comebacks, very few blowouts. They have young WR's who could use the extra work. I think in the end the Football Gods won't think kindly to them tanking games.

It also cracks me up about how they say they aren't interested in records, just Super Bowl rings. In that case why bother playing Peyton at all this week? Oh wait that's right he's got an Ironman streak of games going as well. I guess individual records are more important then team records.

I like the Pro Bowl before the Super Bowl. So many players don't even bother playing in it the old way. Now being the week before the SB and at the same location, means more players may actually show up since they are there all week anyways to watch the game.

The Pro Bowl is the worst by far of the all star games anyways. They can't play any real defenses. The

Holeshot
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Is the Pro Bowl really even necessary ?

Car Guy
12-30-2009, 05:58 PM

In a contact sport as severe as football that would be a NO...!!!

moels
12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
As a kid I loved watching the Pro-Bowl and seeing all the stars assembled in one game. They use to play it to win and the players gave their all for the little bonus money they did receive. As the salaries got bigger and the players became pampered, I stopped watching it. I wish it was still the game it used to be so my kids could enjoy it as well, but it will never be that way again. I say do away with it unless the salaries are lowered and the game is played for the game and not the business it has become. Oh wait, that'll never happen.

I can't fathom that some of these players that get selected choose not to participate. I think Terry Bradshaw did a peice on this a few years ago and I applauded him for calling todays players out. I'm not saying ALL players, just to clarify.

Karps TA
12-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Playing football in a meaningless exhibition game is a little different then the NBA or MLB. You blow out an ACL in the pro bowl, you'll miss the entire next season. NFL players take way more of a physical beating in a season then other sports beside maybe the NHL. To go thru all that and then have to suit up again, usually a month after your season is over I'm guessing is mighty tough to do. If I was in their positions, I doubt I'd play either. Just have the guys show up somewhere for a golf tourny or something where the fans can still get to see them and get an autograph.

It's not like the Pro Bowl even sells out in HI. It's a shitty, boring game where the players are playing at maybe 70% speed.

They should just leave it as an annoucement, and get rid of the game entirely.

supra213
12-30-2009, 08:14 PM
This is a perfect move by the NFL. What games are on the week before the biggest game of the season? None. Putting all the stars in one game the week before the biggest game of the year that in prior years had no football game on. BRILLIANT!!!
There is no other sport that plays their All Star game after the season is over. Why? Because nobody gives a shit anymore. The season is over. The Champion has already been decided.

As far as the Colts go. If they feel it gives them a better shot at winning the Super Bowl then good for them.
If the 72 Dolphins lost 1 game during the regular season would they stop being the 1972 Super Bowl Champion Miami Dolphins? They may not have the mystique of being the leagues only undefeated team. But the only thing that matters after any given year is who won the Super Bowl. Just ask the '07 Patriots.

moels
12-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Playing football in a meaningless exhibition game is a little different then the NBA or MLB. You blow out an ACL in the pro bowl, you'll miss the entire next season. NFL players take way more of a physical beating in a season then other sports beside maybe the NHL. To go thru all that and then have to suit up again, usually a month after your season is over I'm guessing is mighty tough to do. If I was in their positions, I doubt I'd play either. Just have the guys show up somewhere for a golf tourny or something where the fans can still get to see them and get an autograph.

It's not like the Pro Bowl even sells out in HI. It's a shitty, boring game where the players are playing at maybe 70% speed.

They should just leave it as an annoucement, and get rid of the game entirely.

Good idea, I agree they could just leave it as the all pro team kinda like high school has all-conference and all-state. The game today is much rougher than years ago with how far todays athletes have progressed.

PB86MCSS
12-30-2009, 08:34 PM
As far as the Colts go. If they feel it gives them a better shot at winning the Super Bowl then good for them.
If the 72 Dolphins lost 1 game during the regular season would they stop being the 1972 Super Bowl Champion Miami Dolphins? They may not have the mystique of being the leagues only undefeated team. But the only thing that matters after any given year is who won the Super Bowl. Just ask the '07 Patriots.

They will always wonder what could of been, even if they win the Super Bowl. They cheated themselves, simple as that, IMO. Manning has never missed a game in his career, what are the chances he gets hurt in the 2nd half of this game? Or another star....sure there is a chance but you are in the road to having maybe the greatest season in the sports history and you mail it in. Weak. People don't remember each Super Bowl champion, sure that is the ultimate goal but to have the only 19-0 team in history means much much more, you're not just another Super Bowl champ, if there is such a thing. Do people know the 75' Super Bowl champ? 86? Maybe...but any football fan or sports fan knows the 72' Dolphins. Plus going half-ass after they have been on such a roll is questionable without the concern for injuries...they weren't steam rolling teams but had a very important thing, momentum/confidence. Now the momentum is gone, maybe a crack in their confidence too. So now they'll have two weeks in a row of pre-season type games and then a bye week....we'll see how they get back to that level after 3 weeks between "really" playing.

Prince Valiant
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
I'd be pissed if I was going to a game the coach said he didn't care if they won or lose (as belichick did). My money that pays their salaries should entitle me to a good game.

Yooformula
12-30-2009, 10:47 PM
I would rather not have extra games and lose the pro bowl but have them play hard the entire season. sure the patriots won their superbowl but played to win EVERY GAME during the season not lay down the last few games deliberately! Plus their record of 17-0 is an afterthought since they couldnt close it out. the ultimate goal of any team is to WIN not just some of the games or just the big game but IMO ALL of the games! No team is a bigger truer champ than the 72 dolphins because they won it ALL.

hrsp
12-31-2009, 12:22 AM
the probowl should just be a bunch of skill competitions and fun shit like that...less injury risk and bragging rights for those who compete and win...

supra213
12-31-2009, 06:08 AM
^I agree with this. It's a meaningless game aside from the honor of being selected to the Pro Bowl. Moving it was still the right move by the NFL, but more needs to be done before it's a worthwhile game.

I agree that 3 weeks of not playing at full speed is a very long time and definately a concern as far as the post season goes. However, this isn't the 1st time the Colts have had an opportunity to go undefeated in recent years. This also isn't the 1st time the Colts have sat their players during the final few weeks leading into the post season.
In the end, it will be an agree to disagree argument. You are of course 100% correct in every point you have made. Still, I think what we are truly seeing is a team that is self aware enough to know that they aren't steam rolling through their opponents and are looking for any kind of edge they can find for the post season.

Coops Brother
12-31-2009, 08:41 AM

Of course it is.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:wooo

Karps TA
12-31-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree that 3 weeks of not playing at full speed is a very long time and definately a concern as far as the post season goes. However, this isn't the 1st time the Colts have had an opportunity to go undefeated in recent years. This also isn't the 1st time the Colts have sat their players during the final few weeks leading into the post season.

This also won't be the first time they choke in the playoffs and make an early exit either. The only time they won the Super Bowl was the year they had to play the whole season. San Diego will bounce them out once again. Most winningist team over the last decade, and 1 Super Bowl to show for it.

PureSound15
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Can you imagine the uproar is the Packers sat the starters at lambeau? People that paid BIG money for tickets early in the season, thinking it might be a decision maker and now get to watch 2nd string.

I'd throw a fit.

flyin_blue_egg
12-31-2009, 10:02 AM
I would rather not have extra games and lose the pro bowl but have them play hard the entire season. sure the patriots won their superbowl but played to win EVERY GAME during the season not lay down the last few games deliberately! Plus their record of 17-0 is an afterthought since they couldnt close it out. the ultimate goal of any team is to WIN not just some of the games or just the big game but IMO ALL of the games! No team is a bigger truer champ than the 72 dolphins because they won it ALL.

not to nit pick...but i'm pretty sure they went 18-0 (16 wins in reg. season, divisional playoff game and conferance champ.)

supra213
12-31-2009, 09:01 PM
This also won't be the first time they choke in the playoffs and make an early exit either.......San Diego will bounce them out once again.

Right..... Because the Chargers don't choke in the Playoffs either.... :rolleyes:

:D

gottwins?
12-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Right..... Because the Chargers don't choke in the Playoffs either.... :rolleyes:

:D

They sure don't choke against them colts do they? :rolf

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 12:44 AM
They sure don't choke against them colts do they? :rolf

they choked bigtime against the Steelers when it counted...:rolf

gottwins?
01-01-2010, 01:07 AM
they choked bigtime against the Steelers when it counted...:rolf

lol a close loss at Pittsburgh with their second string RB is choking? your smart guy.., too bad the steelers are complete trash and wont be in the playoffs, no worries..there is always next year for you

Happy new year!

:rolf

Reverend Cooper
01-01-2010, 01:09 AM
people will actually watch it now that its before the super bowl,its all about the benjamins

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
lol a close loss at Pittsburgh with their second string RB is choking? your smart guy.., too bad the steelers are complete trash and wont be in the playoffs, no worries..there is always next year for you

Happy new year!

:rolf

The Steelers are complete trash? whatever. 6 rings and how many do the chargers have? A loss is a loss dont toss excuses out there like 2nd string rb. How close of a score was it anyway? They lost 35-24 in the playoffs, that isnt close. This year they lost 38-28....what close loss are you referring to? The steelers have had just as many injured starters if not more. The chargers lost when it counted and never got to the superbowl because they were CHOKING. Choking on the Steeler's d!ck down their throats when they should have been playing football..smart guy.

Neal Steffek
01-01-2010, 02:40 AM
The Steelers are complete trash? whatever. 6 rings and how many do the chargers have? A loss is a loss dont toss excuses out there like 2nd string rb. How close of a score was it anyway? They lost 35-24 in the playoffs, that isnt close. This year they lost 38-28....what close loss are you referring to? The steelers have had just as many injured starters if not more. The chargers lost when it counted and never got to the superbowl because they were CHOKING. Choking on the Steeler's d!ck down their throats when they should have been playing football..smart guy.

I hate it when people say some football team is great becasue of what they did in the past. It's like saying the Rams are awesome becasue they won a SB 10 years ago.

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 03:17 AM
I hate it when people say some football team is great becasue of what they did in the past. It's like saying the Rams are awesome becasue they won a SB 10 years ago.

the same thing can be said about the packers. but gimme a fucking break, I wasnt calling them great but certainly not "trash". Besides they won 2 in the last 4 years the last one being last year for crying out loud. I would think that alone should be enough to say they arent "trash" as he put it, besides they are the DEFENDING champs. Chargers still have NONE in this past decade.

Neal Steffek
01-01-2010, 03:23 AM
the same thing can be said about the packers. but gimme a fucking break, I wasnt calling them great but certainly not "trash". Besides they won 2 in the last 4 years the last one being last year for crying out loud. I would think that alone should be enough to say they arent "trash" as he put it, besides they are the DEFENDING champs. Chargers still have NONE in this past decade.

Thats like saying the Saints suck becasue they never won a SB. It's all about what are you doing now, not last year, or last 10 years.

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 03:31 AM
Thats like saying the Saints suck becasue they never won a SB. It's all about what are you doing now, not last year, or last 10 years.

cant be a winner if you havent won the big game ONCE....

gottwins?
01-01-2010, 04:00 PM

THEY LOST AGAINST THE RAIDERS, CLEVELAND, KANSAS CITY AND CHICAGO, TRASHHHHHHHHHHHH :rolf:rolf:rolf

All you need is to loose to tampa bay and detriot and they can be the worst team in the league haha, Looks like the steelers are going to be doing the dick sucking this year, see you in the playoffs. :thumbsup

Yooformula
01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
THEY LOST AGAINST THE RAIDERS, CLEVELAND, KANSAS CITY AND CHICAGO, TRASHHHHHHHHHHHH :rolf:rolf:rolf

All you need is to loose to tampa bay and detriot and they can be the worst team in the league haha, Looks like the steelers are going to be doing the dick sucking this year, see you in the playoffs. :thumbsup

AND THE CHARGERS LOST TO THE STEELERS!:loser And dont worry the Choking chargers will be watching the super bowl this year yet AGAIN from their couches:loser:chair::punch::alcoholic

Karps TA
01-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Charger's choke in the playoffs? If you lose to a higher seeded team, meaning better team, that's not choking.

2009 the Chargers were the #4 seed and lost to the #2 seed Steelers
2008 the Chargers were the #3 seed, beat the #2 seed Colts, and lost to the #1 seed Patriots.
2007 The Chargers did choke by being the #1 seed and losing to the #4 seed Patriots.

The Colts meanwhile have won atleast 12 regular season games every year since 03 and have made it to only 2 AFC championship games, and 1 SB. That's choking. Dominating all season long and then getting knocked out of the playoffs early.

gottwins?
01-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Charger's choke in the playoffs? If you lose to a higher seeded team, meaning better team, that's not choking.

2009 the Chargers were the #4 seed and lost to the #2 seed Steelers
2008 the Chargers were the #3 seed, beat the #2 seed Colts, and lost to the #1 seed Patriots.
2007 The Chargers did choke by being the #1 seed and losing to the #4 seed Patriots.

The Colts meanwhile have won atleast 12 regular season games every year since 03 and have made it to only 2 AFC championship games, and 1 SB. That's choking. Dominating all season long and then getting knocked out of the playoffs early.

LT will forever be THE beast no matter what, but this pass first...run it down your throat offense is really getting me exited for the future, might be what we need to get over that last hump. Like the saints, teams have to think about putting up some numbers because they KNOW we put 20+ points up every game. If only we had the defense of years past, the loss of jamal is killing us!
:thumbsup