PDA

View Full Version : Who here has a Salamander for a pet?

LEWETHETIGER73
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM
So I just found a salamander in my basement. It was pretty much about dead when I found him. So I took some water out of my sump pump crock and put it into a rubber maid container and waited about 1/2 hr. After that he almost doubled his size and was extremely active. It is a brownish color with yellow non connected spots. So now that he is doing alright { even though it is missing an eye} I figured be kinda fun to have a new pet. So I have a 1' x 1' x1' cage with that forest bed substrate stuff on the bottom with a 1/2 of a coconut shell and a rock in there for it. I'll try to get a picture of it up soon. Just wondering who here all has one and what kind of habitat's they have set up. Pictures would be great and if you have any additional info that would be great as well, Thanks.

Here is the only picture I have right now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/LEWETHETIGER73/bikes/FOR%20SALE%20STUFF/P1010082-1.jpg

wikked
12-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I had two, but they just refused to eat. Tried blood worms, baby crickets, tubifex... nothing.
I had a vivarium type of setup, 75% water 25% land.

Not messing with those fussy bastards again :P

The yellow spotteds are also a lot more rare than the blue spotteds.

Russ Jerome
12-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Thats a Tiger salamander, pretty hardy critter as you can see. They can have voracious apetites at times but in the animal world amphibians are the first to die if not cared for properly. Because of the time of the year it may be trying to become dormant, if its cage temps are consistant it may start eating very regularly, I've see adults eat pinky mice.

Tiger salamanders are common pets, plenty of info online.

Russ Jerome
12-28-2009, 12:06 AM
They only seek water in the spring by the way, they burrow in dirt most all year long not ponds.
http://wireptiles.com/forums/index.php
This is a local forum, we have pics of stuff we find on here. Plenty of local Tiger pics on there.