PDA

View Full Version : Chantix--wtf?? Safer to smoke

CATNHAT
12-27-2009, 09:55 PM
After seeing these annoying commercials, I decided to look up all of the side effects.

I have come to the conclusion that it would be safer to smoke for your self and everyone around you! :stare

Taken directly from http://www.chantix.com/side-effects-safety-info.aspx

SOME SIDE EFFECTS:
Some people have had changes in
behavior,
hostility,
agitation,
depressed mood,
suicidal thoughts or actions
agitation,
hostility,
depression,
or changes in behavior, thinking, or mood
anxiety,
panic,
aggression,
anger,
mania,
abnormal sensations,
hallucinations,
paranoia,
confusion,
serious skin reactions while taking CHANTIX,
some of which can become life-threatening.
These can include rash,
swelling,
redness,
and peeling of the skin.
swelling of the face,
mouth,
and throat that can cause trouble breathing.
If you have these symptoms or have a rash with peeling skin or blisters in your mouth, stop taking CHANTIX and get medical attention right away.

The most common side effects include nausea (30%), sleep problems, constipation, gas, and/or vomiting.
You may have trouble sleeping, vivid, unusual, or strange dreams while taking CHANTIX.
Use caution driving or operating machinery until you know how CHANTIX may affect you.
:confused

badass88gt
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I have friends that have taken it. The number 1 thing theyve experienced is some majorly FUCT UP nightmares. Not dreams, nightmares, and its been more than one person.

If you REALLY want to quit, then just quit. Some magic pill is unnecessary.

HY35F2T
12-27-2009, 10:36 PM
I have friends that have taken it. The number 1 thing theyve experienced is some majorly FUCT UP nightmares. Not dreams, nightmares, and its been more than one person.

EXCATLY!! I could quit if i wanted to but i choose not to yet.I usually smoke cuz im bored i dont think ive ever smoked a cig cuz i "craved it"

88Nightmare
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
EXCATLY!! I could quit if i wanted to but i choose not to yet.I usually smoke cuz im bored i dont think ive ever smoked a cig cuz i "craved it"

most people who have an addiction are in denial :goof

HY35F2T
12-27-2009, 10:58 PM
most people who have an addiction are in denial :goof
:alcoholicIt happens.I quit for a year but beer and cigs go great with eachother.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-27-2009, 11:00 PM
I did not want to quit and really did not think I would be able to, after taking Chantix for 7 days my cigarette supply ran out and I never smoked another cigarette since which has been about 2 years.
I enjoyed smoking cigs but could no longer afford to and hated doing it around my child. I live with a smoker and while I know I would enjoy a cig I probably never will, have had plenty of test and never bothered.
I had no side affects, I had 1 weeks worth left of Chantix and gave it to a freind and he went all syko on it as described.
I also saw smoking claim 3 close folks in a year so that was also a good incentive to quit.

Goat Roper
12-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I saw that commercial yesterday, 80% of the commercial was it laying out side effects. I forgot what the drug was even supposed to do by the end.

-stew-
12-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Common side effects of quitting smoking taken directly from www.cancer.org :

* dizziness (which may only last 1 to 2 days after quitting)
* depression
* feelings of frustration, impatience, and anger
* anxiety
* irritability
* sleep disturbances, including having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and having bad dreams or even nightmares
* trouble concentrating
* restlessness or boredom
* headaches
* tiredness
* increased appetite
* weight gain
* constipation and gas
* cough, dry mouth, sore throat, and nasal drip
* chest tightness

I used Chantix to quit, and have remained quit for two years. Only side effect I had was crazy vivid as shit dreams. I would recommend it to any one looking to quit.

Goat Roper
12-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I used Chantix to quit, and have remained quit for two years.

Congrats man

That_Guy
12-28-2009, 09:18 AM

my mom worked with a guy who was taking that shit he was in the middle of a meeting while he was talking he had a total mental meltdown.. just started crying for no reason... :rolf

JBs92Lude
12-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Chantix is part of the same class of drugs that anti-depressants are. Therefore they have similar side effects. Anti-depressants have a long list of side effects as well, including nightmares and the possibility of suicidal thoughts/actions. I have had many patients on the drug, especially when it first came out, and besides being very expensive it worked well for most with minimal side effects. As with any anti-depressant the user must be careful and see how their body reacts to it, there are other drugs that can be used for smoking cessation if Chantix is not tolerated. Drug companies are required to list all the side effects in their ads as to not be misleading about the drug advertised, and many times doctors do not tell the patient all the possible side effects that may come along with using a drug, in the pharmacy, we try to touch on most of them. All in all, the drug works, but it does come with its pros and cons in using it.

-stew-
12-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Congrats man

Thanks. At the time I quit I wasn't steadily working and had no health insurance. I scraped together the $100 for a visit to the doctor and $125 for the prescription, no government assistance required. Quitting has put close to $5000 in my pocket.

my mom worked with a guy who was taking that shit he was in the middle of a meeting while he was talking he had a total mental meltdown.. just started crying for no reason...

I would guess he was simply blaming his meltdown on the drug.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-28-2009, 09:44 AM
i know people on it also, and they have nightmares. supposedly some guy who offed himself from my area was taking it, but that could be rumor?!?!

i started smoking when i was 15. i am 27 now. i finally decided a few weeks back that i did not want to do it anymore. the cost, the smell, the health affects, are not worth it. I have a daughter that depends on me that I want to see grow up. enough was enough. i have not bought a pack of cigarettes in almost a month now. i did the " i could quit whenever i want" thing, but it doesn't work that way. i do miss it until i snag one from a buddy. makes me want to puke. drinking beer at the bar and not smoking is tough, but if i can suffer through until the smoke free thing kicks in, i should be set.

Nix
12-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I took Chantix to quit smoking as well. That was March 2007, I took it for 1 month. The only side effect that I noticed was a stomach ache ever now and then.

I have been smoke free since April 11, 2007. I'll be coming up on my 3 year shortly, I still have a hard time believeing its been this long already.

Along with Stew, I would recommend it to anyone who really wants to quit. Its worth a shot and it truly worked for me.

Good luck to anyone who is looking/trying to quit. It can be done. :headbang

fivonut
12-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind when they make those lists they put every little complaint they get during the drug trial on there for legal protection. I quit cold turkey 5 years ago. It wasn't easy. I know a few people who have tried Chantix and all of them mention very vivid dreaming. One guy I work with said he felt suicidal while taking it.

CATNHAT
12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Common side effects of quitting smoking taken directly from www.cancer.org (http://www.cancer.org) :

* dizziness (which may only last 1 to 2 days after quitting)
* depression
* feelings of frustration, impatience, and anger
* anxiety
* irritability
* sleep disturbances, including having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and having bad dreams or even nightmares
* trouble concentrating
* restlessness or boredom
* headaches
* tiredness
* increased appetite
* weight gain
* constipation and gas
* cough, dry mouth, sore throat, and nasal drip
* chest tightness

side effects seem alomost the same--if so--why use Chantix if you may have suicidal tendencies???

I smoked for 11 years, Marlboro Reds in box! Smoked some other shit too but..........

I quit by taking a 1/2 full box of smokes, twisted them in half, through them out and never looked back. That was in 2001.

Smoking is a nasty habit and extremely addictive. Just gotta suck it up to be successful.

By the way, my Mom died at 55, heavy smoker, Grandpa died at 65, he smoked 3 packs of camel straights and chewed beechnut.

Not lecturing anyone, what you put in your body is your business.

Nix
12-28-2009, 06:10 PM
side effects seem alomost the same--if so--why use Chantix if you may have suicidal tendencies???

I smoked for 11 years, Marlboro Reds in box! Smoked some other shit too but..........

I quit by taking a 1/2 full box of smokes, twisted them in half, through them out and never looked back. That was in 2001.

Smoking is a nasty habit and extremely addictive. Just gotta suck it up to be successful.

By the way, my Mom died at 55, heavy smoker, Grandpa died at 65, he smoked 3 packs of camel straights and chewed beechnut.

Not lecturing anyone, what you put in your body is your business.

Not everyone can do that. Everyone is built/wired differently. Some people have self control, some do not.

I did not have enough self control to quit on my own. I used Chantix I needed assistance to quit, for me it worked outstanding and I would reccommend it to anybody and everybody. Just like any other medication there are always different side effects with different people. Some combos just do not work no matter what. My hat is off to you that you quit on your own. I tried it a few times and only made it a few days and then I sadly cracked. :chair: Congrats and keep up the good work! :)

lordairgtar
12-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Someone's gotta describe the dreams!

That_Guy
12-29-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks. At the time I quit I wasn't steadily working and had no health insurance. I scraped together the $100 for a visit to the doctor and $125 for the prescription, no government assistance required. Quitting has put close to $5000 in my pocket.

I would guess he was simply blaming his meltdown on the drug.

i would actually believe he was blaming the meltdown on the drug also. he was kinda a flake

-stew-
12-29-2009, 10:03 AM
i would actually believe he was blaming the meltdown on the drug also. he was kinda a flake

Then why even bring it up???

PureSound15
12-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Then why even bring it up???

I lold.

-stew-
12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I lold.

I have that effect.