PDA

View Full Version : Sweet RROD

HY35F2T
12-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone fix it just hit my xbox rrod came back .

Exitspeed
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM

I don't really understand what you just said, but if it's about having a 360 repaired you can look in the RROD Discussion thread and there's a name of a guy I recommended.

PureSound15
12-22-2009, 04:29 PM

Is this a question? Statement? Accusation? :confused

Deggy
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I think he is trying to ask, who fixes RROD, he just hit his Xbox and got one.

STANMAN
12-22-2009, 05:11 PM
262-573-9249, guys name is Greg, he lives in Cederburg. Josepy and I have both taken our Xboxs to him, great guy, very quick turn around time.

STANMAN
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Just an FYI-both of the ones I have had RROD'ed, both RROD'ed again after being fixed. The failure rate on these things is absolutely retarded.

BigSnailBuick
12-22-2009, 05:18 PM
I gave up fixing my RRod.. I just went today and spend 200$ for a new one that apparently doesnt have this shit chipset. I needed HDMI anywho is how i looked at it :rolf

HY35F2T
12-22-2009, 05:44 PM
I swear if it isnt about the weather or what fox 6 news just reported nobody gets it.Thanks for the help from ones that were helpful.Im worried about having it fixxed again.About 2yrs ago i had it fixxed sent it to microsoft just dont want it to mess up again.

theavenger333
12-22-2009, 06:46 PM
incorrect. they all fail. i have one of the newest boxes, it failed.

I gave up fixing my RRod.. I just went today and spend 200$ for a new one that apparently doesnt have this shit chipset. I needed HDMI anywho is how i looked at it :rolf

Myles
12-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I just ended up buying a PS3 before my second unit fails.

Yooformula
12-23-2009, 12:31 AM
are any of you using the "intercooler" for the back of the units? the new ones have an external power supply now instead of pigtailing off of the xbox power supply. Mine is almost 4 years old now and hasnt died. It red ringed once so I vacuumed out the rear of it and put on an intercooler and hasnt had an issue since.

HY35F2T
12-23-2009, 12:36 AM
are any of you using the "intercooler" for the back of the units? the new ones have an external power supply now instead of pigtailing off of the xbox power supply. Mine is almost 4 years old now and hasnt died. It red ringed once so I vacuumed out the rear of it and put on an intercooler and hasnt had an issue since.
Thats what i was thinking of getting.Try that and if it takes a shit again well then it gets tossed in the road for the city plows to deal with.:flipoff2:

I was looking up fixxes for it i guess theres the towel method wow cant belive ppl actually try that.

STANMAN
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Greg, the guy I took mine to, fixes PS3's and Wii's to, he said PS3's have the same overheat problem as Xbox's, and Wii's reading device fails. They all suck, lol.

Exitspeed
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
So I got mine back from the dude on the East Side. Really nice guy. Really smart. He charged me $50 but he put in custom ducting, and a better fan. Hopefully it'll stay running now and I won't have any other issues.

Here's his Craiglist ad if anyone needs to get in touch with him.

Oh no, it happened, you have become victim to the Xbox 360's dreaded E74 Error. I can help! A little background here... the E-74 error (3 red rings/freezing) is caused by an inadequate cooling design by MS (sorry guys). Although microsoft will repair the console, it is a huge pain in the ass and takes forever. Also if you happened to open your 360 for any reason, you're gonna have an uphill battle trying to get them to fix it along with $100. Worse yet, try getting a defective DVD drive repaired. Yikes.

So here's the deal. Being a poor grad student at UWM, and having extensive electronics repair experience and certifications, I've decided to offer my services up on CL and it's been going quite well. Instead of just fixing one of the issues, I'll repair all three of the usuals and more: heatsink X-Clamp fix, Arctic Silver replacement, and reflowing of the solder joints. In addition, I charge nothing extra for the 12v fan upgrade and adding custom ducting. The way I see it, I'd rather make you happy than cut corners...might just get me a referral, right? Doing all five really is the BEST way to ensure you're not wasting your time and money. A little more background on yours truly; I am an A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, HP Certified Master Technician, and Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), as well as a former laptop repair business owner. I have been repairing various gaming consoles and laptops for the better part of my life. In short, yes I am a nerd. There are other people offering repair services for a bit cheaper, but you really do get what you pay for... and of course if for some reason your 360 is beyond repair, I can't charge you in good faith. No one really should...

Besides, you'll feel good about yourself knowing that you are helping to feed a graduate student. :-)

Drop me a line if you have any questions or would like references.

Thanks,
Rob
(414) 469-2041

HY35F2T
12-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah i seent hat one on CL but didnt know if it was just some kid doing the towel method lol.How long has it been since he fixxed it and how long did it take?

Exitspeed
12-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Yeah i seent hat one on CL but didnt know if it was just some kid doing the towel method lol.How long has it been since he fixxed it and how long did it take?

Well actually I have a particularly crappy 360 and I had to bring it back to him. It RROD again which he said hardly ever happens. Some 360's are just crappier then others. Which is scary. The first time he had it for 2 days. He has mine right now. Just waiting for him to let me know if he can fix it again. He's a nice kid though. Trustworthy and professional. He gives you a form to fill out. And he does way more to repair it them most people do.

HY35F2T
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Well actually I have a particularly crappy 360 and I had to bring it back to him. It RROD again which he said hardly ever happens. Some 360's are just crappier then others. Which is scary. The first time he had it for 2 days. He has mine right now. Just waiting for him to let me know if he can fix it again. He's a nice kid though. Trustworthy and professional. He gives you a form to fill out. And he does way more to repair it them most people do.
It wont mess with my songs i have saved on my xbox will it?Cuz ive got like 300+ songs an dont feel like messing with that again.Sounds good think im gonna give him a call im going crazy cant excatly do shit outside either.

Exitspeed
12-23-2009, 01:13 PM
It wont mess with my songs i have saved on my xbox will it?Cuz ive got like 300+ songs an dont feel like messing with that again.Sounds good think im gonna give him a call im going crazy cant excatly do shit outside either.

No. He asks you to keep your hard drive. It pops right off.

Oh, and I just talked to him. Mine is up and running. Going to pick it up later.

Moparjim
12-23-2009, 03:02 PM
The towel method actually can work - and is not all that much different than what a lot of the low budget "fix it" places do. The first thing a lot of the repair people try is just to remove the clamps on the board, and use a heat gun to reflow the solder, which is what the towel method accomplishes by using the XBOX's own heat lol.

First time my old one RROD, I did it and it worked for like another year before it RROD again and I sent it back.

Exitspeed
12-23-2009, 03:24 PM
The reason I like the Rod guy is because he actually fixes the problems with the 360 to prevent it from RROD again. Not just putting faith in some random method someone figured out.

The main problem with mine is I keep it in a really confined area. I won't be doing that any longer though when I get it back later.

theavenger333
12-23-2009, 05:29 PM

he's lying to you. if he said he guaranteed can fix it, that is. the boxes will red ring again almost everytime. once you fix them once, the rate of failure actually goes UP. there isn't a "random" method, they all do the same thing with the chipset, resoldering it, then supposed to be "reflowing" them. aka turning them on and testing them, letting the board heat up, and the chip setting itself again.

Josepy
12-23-2009, 05:46 PM
The reason I like the Rod guy is because he actually fixes the problems with the 360 to prevent it from RROD again. Not just putting faith in some random method someone figured out.

The main problem with mine is I keep it in a really confined area. I won't be doing that any longer though when I get it back later.

The guy in Cedarburg I bet does the same thing Rod does. Very knowledgeable and seems to know what he is doing. The brewcity people who originally did mine did it wrong according to him. Btw they haven't even gotten back to me to fix mine like they said they would. Don't anyone take there xbox's to them. They are useless. So I took to this Greg guy. 45 minutes and it was working again. We will see how long it lasts now.

Josepy
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Just an FYI-both of the ones I have had RROD'ed, both RROD'ed again after being fixed. The failure rate on these things is absolutely retarded.

You get yours back from the Brew City pukes yet. I mean its only been over a month.

STANMAN
12-23-2009, 06:10 PM
You get yours back from the Brew City pukes yet. I mean its only been over a month.

It is completed, that is confirmed. Steve is going to be picking it up and getting it back to me.

Goat Roper
12-24-2009, 08:58 AM

Rob is absolutely the guy to see for RROD issues. Both my machines had RROD'd, a standard and an Elite. He fixed both and added a secondary fan to the standard unit but the motherboard is different on the Elite so he could not. He figured out how to add a fan to an Elite so at this point he has that one back to add it.

He didn't even want to charge me to add the fan to the Elite but I am going to take care of him on it.

Exitspeed
12-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Rob is absolutely the guy to see for RROD issues. Both my machines had RROD'd, a standard and an Elite. He fixed both and added a secondary fan to the standard unit but the motherboard is different on the Elite so he could not. He figured out how to add a fan to an Elite so at this point he has that one back to add it.

He didn't even want to charge me to add the fan to the Elite but I am going to take care of him on it.

:thumbsup

lilws6
12-25-2009, 11:26 PM
with my old one i used to slam it on the ground all the time when it red ringed and it woudl be good for a few more weeks sometimes months then it just died all together so i shipped it out to get fixed by microsoft and bought an elite. i forgot who bought my other one some one on here