PDA

View Full Version : Good cities to live in

flyin_blue_egg
12-21-2009, 06:25 PM
Well I just got a new job working in the Milwaukee county jail. The only downside is that I have to move to milwaukee county. What are the good areas/cities to live in. My wife and I would like to buy a house if we can afford it, but if not we need a house/townhouse etc. and it needs to allow a dog (she wants a bull mastiff)

Most of you live in the area so i thought you'd be the best to ask. Thanks

Neal Steffek
12-21-2009, 06:46 PM
A good friend of mine just got a job with the City of Milw this past summer. Moved from Waukesha to 40th and Oklahoma. He says lots of city workers in the area and seems like a really nice area.

Maybe I can get him to sign onto BCM.com and chime in on what he did.

Goat Roper
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
Franklin, hands down. Quiet, lots of housing, good people and excellent schools. I am biased though, obviously.

Prince Valiant
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Greendale...very small town vibe despite being close to the city, schools voted #1 in the SE wisconsin area, houses tend not to be too ridiculous in cost.

Flicktitty
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wi/milwaukee/crime/

DirtyMax
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Your options are endless. We bought a small house near 68th and Morgan and couldn't be happier with our hood. It all depends on what you want to spend and what's important to you. If you are just looking for a starter like we were, try Milwaukee. If you have kids and want to avoid MPS, check out the burbs.

Now is a good time to be a first time buyer.

gottwins?
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I would say wauwatosa....the neighborhoods seem pretty nice while at the same time you are kind of in middle of everything (hwy 100, mayfair, hospitals, very good distance to down-town, food places everywhere) but it all depends what you like. If you like the quiet suburbia type thing then other towns like mentioned would be ideal.

Exitspeed
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM
My wife and I love living in New Berlin. Nice people. Nice area. And it's close to everything.

flyin_blue_egg
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
My wife and I love living in New Berlin. Nice people. Nice area. And it's close to everything.

i wish...but it has to be Milwaukee county.

Exitspeed
12-21-2009, 07:33 PM
i wish...but it has to be Milwaukee county.

Oh shoot, my bad.

Hales Corners is right next to New Berlin. I grew up there 96th and Edgerton area) and it is very nice also. Pretty much the same as New Berlin.

Holeshot
12-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Take a look at what you can afford mortgage wise, look at the MLS at any real estate site and see whats in the range. Drive the neighborhoods and see what catches your eye as far as where you may shop,eat the time you are willing to travel to work everyday. Look at the taxes in the area. Are you looking for a starter home or something you plan to stay in 15+ years. You want a large dog so you will need a descent yard and probably fenced. Franklin is nice but the taxes are insane. You have the Franklin/ Oak Creek joint School district. Stallis and Greenfield have good schools but lot sizes can be a factor in some areas. I have two friend that own homes in Greendale and both they're taxes are well over 5K.

There are really nice places in Tosa and the N.W. side that are kept up well. My parents have lived on 92nd and Bluemound for over 40 years and that area hasn't changed from when I was a kid.

WhatsADSM
12-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Everyone is going to have a biased opinion on this one I think.

FWIW I'd say either Greendale, Glendale or Tosa.

Car Guy
12-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Too bad you weren't looking a few weeks ago, our very nice home on the south side of Milwaukee just sold for $125k. That is what my mother paid 10 years ago.....:durr

GTSLOW
12-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Madison, somewhere on the west side near the capitol.

PB86MCSS
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Hales Corners, Greendale, Greenfield and Franklin are nice options for Milwaukee County, IMO. I'm biased towards the southern side of things growing up in Muskego near Hales Corners though. Never got used to or liked the northeastern part of Milwaukee much, JMHO. And the northwestern part is right in the 'hood or too close for my tastes. Then again I live in StAllis which is the butt of many jokes, some deservedly so. Best advice is to drive around quite a bit if you aren't too familiar with the different burbs or areas in the County.

-stew-
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Not to be a naysayer, but I'd hold off on buying until your probation is over. I had a friend who got hired on at the jail and got the boot right before his probation ended. He said this is a common practice.

That said, I like most anyplace east of HWY 100 to the lake, south of Oklahoma-ish to Layton-ish. I live in the Bayview neighborhood of Milwaukee, its an odd mix of city workers, older hippies, hipsters, queers, rock-a-billies, scenesters, normal people, rich folks and a lil white trash sprinkled in. Property values range from sub $100K to a million plus. Plenty of nice duplexes at reasonable rents. I'm payin $650 for a 2 bedroom with garage, about 4 blocks from the lake.

-stew-
12-21-2009, 09:37 PM
Also forgot to say congrats and good luck with the new job!

flyin_blue_egg
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Madison, somewhere on the west side near the capitol.

again must be milwaukee county...not dane

animal
12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Greendale... ...houses tend not to be too ridiculous in cost.

But the taxes do :)

BR3W CITY
12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Im partial to the north shore area; whitefish bay, shorewood, glendale. WFB and Shorewood have higher buy-in and taxes but good schools, and close to the lake, downtown and 43. Glendale has a bigger mix (ethnically and in price) but still has decent school district, and you generally get a little more house for the money.