PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a scope....

Crawlin
12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Gander's, Farm and Fleet, Cabella's ??? Where?

Girlfriend's dad was looking for one for xmas. Just for deer hunting on his rifle. Don't know what kind, but assume most mounts are pretty universal?

Where should I go? She wants to go to Cabella's but I always thought they were a bit higher priced, and I don't want to drive all that way anyways, haha.

Chris

Myles
12-21-2009, 12:10 PM
Bellas I would say. Gander is Ok.

STANMAN
12-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Depends on what you're looking at. Leupolds will be similarly priced no matter where you go. Cabela's will have the best selection, Gander will be a close 2nd.

Silver350
12-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Make sure if you go Gander go to the one on Bluemound Road In waukesha. They have better selection then the one on 27th street.

73MACH
12-21-2009, 04:26 PM
ALWAYS CABELA'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that place!

Crawlin
12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Just got back from Cabella's. That place was pretty cool.

List of guns I want that I saw today -

Sig 556
FNAR
Colt AR-15 (pretty much any black rifle with the tacticool package, hahah)
USP45
SA XD9 Compact (if concealed carry ever comes around)
SA XD 45 5"

We ended up getting a Leupold scope 3-9x40. He's not a HUGE hunter, just goes once or twice every year. I didn't know what gun he has so couldn't get the specific mounts/rings. Thanks to everyone for recommendations

DirtyMax
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Can't go wrong with that scope for a deer rifle!

Korndogg
12-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah I always go to Cabela's first. They were the only place around that had my SA XD 45 with the 5" tactical barrel. For some reason nobody else carried it. And I got a decent deal on it I thought.

Crawlin
12-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Yeah Mark, I noticed the same thing... It was the first gun I looked for and they had both the 4" and 5" barrel versions. Gander didn't have either except for some XDM .45 that was tan/silver. Forgot the designation.

SSLEVO
12-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Cabellas didn't have shit for AR optics. Gander by me in Germantown had 5x the selection.

Crawlin
12-23-2009, 08:16 AM
yeah, i think cabella's only had the 4-5 different Eotech red dot sights. Just had a huge number of rifle/shotgun scopes

That_Guy
12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Just got back from Cabella's. That place was pretty cool.

List of guns I want that I saw today -

Sig 556
FNAR
Colt AR-15 (pretty much any black rifle with the tacticool package, hahah)
USP45
SA XD9 Compact (if concealed carry ever comes around)
SA XD 45 5"

We ended up getting a Leupold scope 3-9x40. He's not a HUGE hunter, just goes once or twice every year. I didn't know what gun he has so couldn't get the specific mounts/rings. Thanks to everyone for recommendations

i feel your pain... i went christmas shopping and i put 200 dollars down on a 1911... "HA" layaway ftw! that pistol will be in my safe next paycheck :headbang

SSLEVO
12-23-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah, i think cabella's only had the 4-5 different Eotech red dot sights. Just had a huge number of rifle/shotgun scopes
They do have a crapload of scopes, thats for sure. I picked up a vortex red dot from gander. It was around $150 and made in WI. It's pretty much an aimpoint copy but i figured it would be good enough for shooting it a few times a year. I have about 850 into the entire rig with the sight, 3 mags and a case. Haven't gotten out to shoot it yet though.

Russ Jerome
12-23-2009, 01:23 PM
Gander you can actualy look at the scopes mounted on mock guns, never buy a scope without viewing it. All Cabelas scopes are behind cases case's.

Cabelas will be cheaper quite often but actualy trying to get the attention of an employee is difficult given the crowds.

Better yet look localy and order thru optics.com or any other scope places.

SSLEVO
12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Gander you can actualy look at the scopes mounted on mock guns, never buy a scope without viewing it. All Cabelas scopes are behind cases case's.

Cabelas will be cheaper quite often but actualy trying to get the attention of an employee is difficult given the crowds.

Better yet look localy and order thru optics.com or any other scope places.

You got that right, i had to wait 10 min for them to tell me their AR options suck ass. When they had about 10-15 of them in the rack for sale.

Crawlin
12-23-2009, 03:55 PM
WOW.. i literally walked up with the girlfriend and there was someone there to help. Then he even walked us over to the hunting clothes.

They have layaways for guns? oh sweet, hahahahah

SSLEVO
12-23-2009, 04:06 PM
WOW.. i literally walked up with the girlfriend and there was someone there to help. Then he even walked us over to the hunting clothes.

They have layaways for guns? oh sweet, hahahahah

I think it really depends on how many people are looking at the handguns. They obviously have to stay with the customer when the gun is out of the display case.

Crawlin
12-23-2009, 04:12 PM
I got ya. Yeah I would hope so, hahaha. I think there was only maybe 3-4 guys at the handguns and maybe two others with scopes out of the cabinets.

I wanna go back for that 556 so bad, haha