PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Search `09, HELP WANTED.....

Car Guy
12-20-2009, 09:19 PM
After separating for 4 months the wife & I decided to give our relationship another shot and we are all good once again. The closing date on our house should be mid-late January and unfortunately it's too cold to live in my Aerostar van like I had hoped to (:goof). Time is ticking for us to find a new place to live and we're looking for any/all suggestions on where to go. We recently looked at a few places but nothing so far has our serious attention. We would like to spend in the area of $750-800 per month with utilities but would consider paying more if the situation is ideal. Desired locations are in the suburbs spanning from Oak Creek, west to Franklin/Muskego, and north to New Berlin. We will consider other areas if, once again, the situation is ideal. I have only lived in a single family house my entire life (3 in 30 years) so this will be a completely new experience for me…..

The following areas are required for us to consider an apartment; these are for the most part non-negotiable.....

Requirements

- Private entry meaning one door to enter your unit, no hallways/community entrances.....

- A solid building structure (concrete = :headbang), I rarely get good sleep and will no way tolerate excessive noise from neighbors.....

- Parking spaces (preferably 2) in a parking lot, street parking is not acceptable.....

- A cat must be allowed, meow.....:)

- Washer/dryer in unit, I will NOT wash my clothes at a laundromat or 'community' coin-operated machines.....:durr

- One bedroom with ample closet space or two bedrooms with decent closet space.....

- A good sized living room and bathroom with shower above a bathtub. My definition of “good sized” is a bathroom door that closes without hitting your knees while on the ‘throne’. Enough room for a couch/coffee table, two small(er) recliners, two end tables, and an entertainment center with room to walk between everything.....

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two but for the most part that is the extent of our requirements.....

'Would like to haves'

- One or two car garage either attached or detached......

- Underground parking, the thought of never having to clean snow off our cars at home makes me giddy.....:D

- Hydronic heat, a.k. a. in floor heating.....

- An upper level unit, meaning the highest floor possible.....

- Free cable or satellite service, OK this one might be a pipe dream but it sure would be nice.....:)

If you have any personal experience or know of something that might be of interest to us please post up. I'd like to find the 'right' place because we might be there for some time and would hate to move after only 6 months to a year.....

~Justin :thumbsup

GarBear021
12-20-2009, 09:25 PM
My wife and I used to live in southfield which is between rawson and college on 13th street. We had a 1200 square foot 2 bedroom 2 bath with a large living room and dining room for $700. per month. Animals are allowed and it includes a one car garage, a parking spot, and an extra lot for visitors. The only requirement of yours that wasn't there was the washer and dryer, but we had an apartment sized one that we bought and just hooked up to the sink when we used it. Neighbors were great and they recently expanded the complex including units that have washers and dryers, but I don't know how much more they are. Also they put in a pool and a fitness room for the tenants also. I highly recommend these apartments.

rally_scort
12-20-2009, 09:27 PM
i can save you time, dont bother looking in waukesha.Youll get half your requirements, and twice the rent.If you could stretch over to Jefferson County, its verrrry cheap compared to Waukesha County.My co-worker rents a 3br house with unattached 1 stall garage for $650/month.

03CVLX
My brother is at American Colony in Greenfield. His is a big one bedroom with a seperate Den. Washer/Dryer in Unit. He has a detached garage and parking is also available I think for second car. He lives alone so I am not 100% sure how that works. Its a private entrance, however in each area there are three private entry doors one leading to each of the floors. Might be something to check out at least.

Car Guy

johnny--2k
12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Pheasant Meadows on Greenfield Ave just west of Calhoun. 2 bed 2 bath upper with central air, private entry, 2 car detached garage, washer/dryer/dishwasher in the unit. 895/month water included. Gas/Electric/TV/Phone are your responsibility. I lived there as did michelle and adam.

There is a crazy neighbor, but he really is a harmless guy as long as you dont bother him. he is quiet, so really no noise complaints from him or any of the other neighbors. Most of them are all older people. 12 units total, so it's nice and small. PM me if you want more info.

Car Guy
12-20-2009, 09:35 PM
My wife and I used to live in southfield which is between rawson and college on 13th street. We had a 1200 square foot 2 bedroom 2 bath with a large living room and dining room for $700. per month. Animals are allowed and it includes a one car garage, a parking spot, and an extra lot for visitors. The only requirement of yours that wasn't there was the washer and dryer, but we had an apartment sized one that we bought and just hooked up to the sink when we used it. Neighbors were great and they recently expanded the complex including units that have washers and dryers, but I don't know how much more they are. Also they put in a pool and a fitness room for the tenants also. I highly recommend these apartments.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will let you know our thoughts if we take a tour.....

Its a private entrance, however in each area there are three private entry doors one leading to each of the floors.

That is what I'm referring to regarding a private entrance, the hallway with 20 unit arrangements is what we don't want.....

Pheasant Meadows on Greenfield Ave just west of Calhoun. 2 bed 2 bath upper with central air, private entry, 2 car detached garage, washer/dryer/dishwasher in the unit. 895/month water included. Gas/Electric/TV/Phone are your responsibility. I lived there as did michelle and adam.

I was in Adam & Michelle's unit and that building is built out of cardboard if you ask me, far too noisy.....:guns1

awsomeears
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Sounds nice and I'm sure a 1 bedroom would be cheaper but still a decent size :thumbsup

DerangedPony
12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
We currently live at Southfield and we are happy. They have a older section of apts that we live in and a couple newer building. The newer buildings seem to fit what you are looking for, and the people who live here are very nice. One problem is that some of the apts are along the freeway so those have a little extra noise.

GarBear021
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, a 1 bedroom at southfield was $100. cheaper, and is still a decent unit. The 2 bedrooms are setup roommate style so the main entrance comes in the living room with the dining room and kitchen straight ahead and the bedrooms are on each side of the living room with separate baths at the end of each hall going to the bedrooms. We lived in the older units like you said. The one bedroom had a patio door and the other bedroom was just a window, so we used the one with the patio as an office/ spare room. For the extra 100 bucks, it was worth the extra space. The 1 bedrooms are setup exactly like the 2 bedrooms, but with one side cut off next to the living room.

Car Guy
12-20-2009, 10:48 PM
GarBear021 & DerangedPony, care to comment on these reviews for Southfield.....:stare

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/wisconsin/oak-creek/southfield-apartments.htm

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/WI-Oak-Creek-Southfield-Apartments.html

GarBear021
12-20-2009, 11:12 PM
I enjoyed my stay there and only moved because we got a house. Looks like the biggest complaints refer to the new units in southfield, which I cannot speak for. As far as the older units, we had gas heat, not electric so our energy bills were not bad at all and we had central air, none of this in wall a/c unit crap. We painted all of the rooms ourselves, just cuz I can't stand white walls and all we had to do was repaint when we left. I had one issue with the property manager there regarding one of my dogs, but went over her head the wimmer properties and then never had another problem. Everyone else in the office, maintenance and office assistants which actually live on-site, were absolutely great to deal with and we would actually party with them once in awhile. Never had any mold issues either. I would say check out the older units and stay away from the new ones due to poor construction, atleast that is the way it sounds. Just my 2 cents.

88Nightmare
12-20-2009, 11:19 PM
tanglewood apartments on 20th and ryan road seem pretty decent. private entrance, deck (2nd floor and higher), washer/dryer in the unit.

lordairgtar
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Willowglen apartments in Muskego. Two bedroom units, big living room/dining area. Good sized kitchen. master bedroom is huge and has decent closet space. Bath is a tub with shower and is of decent size for apartments. You can have laundry machines in the apartment but they have to be stackable and do stick out of the water heater closet by about three inches. We also have a communal laundry building. You get two parking spots outside and they allow kittehs. I am the only one allowed to have dogs. (I'm special) There are four 8 unit buildings on the site and they have patio doors on main level but upstairs units have a hall door. The buildings are divided front to back so you only see one other door on your level. The apts are off the roadway a bit and you can't see the road from the apts and people don't know it's back here. It's located at W182 S8450 Racine Ave in Muskego. I pay $725 a month

03CVLX
12-20-2009, 11:52 PM
I had friends who lived in the tanglewood apartments. They did not have a private entrance. I don't know if its only a few buildings like that or not.

88Nightmare
12-21-2009, 12:07 AM
The friends that I visited at Tanglewood did. Basically, it was a partially outdoor staircase and at each level, there was your entrance. I suppose thats not exactly a private entrance.... but its close. I hear private entrance, I think condo.

03CVLX
12-21-2009, 12:14 AM
Hmm, good to know. I can say that my friends always liked that complex very much. They must have two different styles of buildings. Its probably been about 8 years or so since they bought a house though, so not sure how it is these days.

Car Guy
12-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Has anyone heard of Kendal Woods...???

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Kendal+Woods+Apartments&city=Oak+Creek&state=WI&address=130+W+Oak+Leaf+Dr+%23+7&zipcode=53154&country=US&latitude=42.877681&longitude=-87.913388&geocode=ADDRESS&id=6873852

88Nightmare
12-21-2009, 12:35 AM
can't say that I have, but they look decent

pOrk
12-21-2009, 10:14 AM
After separating for 4 months the wife & I decided to give our relationship another shot and we are all good once again. The closing date on our house should be mid-late January and unfortunately it's too cold to live in my Aerostar van like I had hoped to (:goof). Time is ticking for us to find a new place to live and we're looking for any/all suggestions on where to go. We recently looked at a few places but nothing so far has our serious attention. We would like to spend in the area of $750-800 per month with utilities but would consider paying more if the situation is ideal. Desired locations are in the suburbs spanning from Oak Creek, west to Franklin/Muskego, and north to New Berlin. We will consider other areas if, once again, the situation is ideal. I have only lived in a single family house my entire life (3 in 30 years) so this will be a completely new experience for me…..

The following areas are required for us to consider an apartment; these are for the most part non-negotiable.....

Requirements

- Private entry meaning one door to enter your unit, no hallways/community entrances.....

- A solid building structure (concrete = :headbang), I rarely get good sleep and will no way tolerate excessive noise from neighbors.....

- Parking spaces (preferably 2) in a parking lot, street parking is not acceptable.....

- A cat must be allowed, meow.....:)

- Washer/dryer in unit, I will NOT wash my clothes at a laundromat or 'community' coin-operated machines.....:durr

- One bedroom with ample closet space or two bedrooms with decent closet space.....

- A good sized living room and bathroom with shower above a bathtub. My definition of “good sized” is a bathroom door that closes without hitting your knees while on the ‘throne’. Enough room for a couch/coffee table, two small(er) recliners, two end tables, and an entertainment center with room to walk between everything.....

I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two but for the most part that is the extent of our requirements.....

'Would like to haves'

- One or two car garage either attached or detached......

- Underground parking, the thought of never having to clean snow off our cars at home makes me giddy.....:D

- Hydronic heat, a.k. a. in floor heating.....

- An upper level unit, meaning the highest floor possible.....

- Free cable or satellite service, OK this one might be a pipe dream but it sure would be nice.....:)

If you have any personal experience or know of something that might be of interest to us please post up. I'd like to find the 'right' place because we might be there for some time and would hate to move after only 6 months to a year.....

~Justin :thumbsup

They have 2000 sq ft w/ partial loft units with free heat on 92nd and layton that I was digging before I bought. Check them out, I think they were 750 a month for a 2 bedroom with the 800 sq ft loft area

SSLEVO
12-21-2009, 10:48 AM
It sounds like you are looking for a condo or townhouse. I don't think any appartments will meet all of those.

Crawlin
12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
I liked the one I lived in on Janesville Rd in Muskego. Right across from Kohl's.

Nice big place with cathedral ceilings(in the upper). LOTS of storage, Nice big closests. Private entrance, 2 car garage. I think it was 1400sqft, no loft area. Was 2 full baths too. One was a tub/shower and one was s stall shower. pets are allowed with a $25/month increase I think it was. And the structure was great. neighbor had a newborn and we couldn't ever hear it. I could hear Bushy Fest though in the summer. But live music one week out of the year was kina nice.

Only downside was that it was like $1000/month. So the one Pork is talking about sounds cool.

I do have pics of my place

Car Guy
12-21-2009, 12:00 PM

T-Bag
12-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah Crawlin's old place was real nice the one time I saw it. Great location too

Nix
12-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Hidden Creek, its right acrsoos the street from where Torque Center use to be and its right behind Culvers. Its on National Ave around 167th? Its right down the road from the New Berlin library.

If you have any questions pm me. My wife and I lived there for several years, really nice place and the rent was right for what they offered and it was a very quiet and clean area.

Crawlin
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
My place was just east of Moorland Rd. on Janesville Rd. in Muskego. They are white w/ green shutters and roof shingles. It's just two complexes, one behind the other. Two story. Each had 8 apartments. Garages were under the complex behind the building. Really quiet, mostly older people, but I never had problems with my old '99 Z pretty much sounding open headers. Not one complaint ever.

Gas fireplace too, haha. Only used it once. I had an upper that was in the back complex all the way to the left as you were looking at them. So furthest away from the road basically. The way they are set up, I wanted a corner so I could have windows in the bedroom.

They are really only 1 bedroom w/ a den, but I used it as two bedrooms, both of them having a queen size bed and furniture in them. So they had space.

I will look for the pics, thought they were on my photobucket

pOrk
12-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Wow, rent went up a bit since I last checked. This is the place with the loft:

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/apa/1492949359.html

Car Guy
12-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Hidden Creek, its right acrsoos the street from where Torque Center use to be and its right behind Culvers. Its on National Ave around 167th? Its right down the road from the New Berlin library.

If you have any questions pm me. My wife and I lived there for several years, really nice place and the rent was right for what they offered and it was a very quiet and clean area.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look in to it and let you know if we take a tour.....

My place was just east of Moorland Rd. on Janesville Rd. in Muskego. They are white w/ green shutters and roof shingles. It's just two complexes, one behind the other. Two story. Each had 8 apartments. Garages were under the complex behind the building. Really quiet, mostly older people, but I never had problems with my old '99 Z pretty much sounding open headers. Not one complaint ever.

Gas fireplace too, haha. Only used it once. I had an upper that was in the back complex all the way to the left as you were looking at them. So furthest away from the road basically. The way they are set up, I wanted a corner so I could have windows in the bedroom.

They are really only 1 bedroom w/ a den, but I used it as two bedrooms, both of them having a queen size bed and furniture in them. So they had space.

I will look for the pics, thought they were on my photobucket

Chris, do you remember the name...???

I know exactly where these are; probably drove by them a thousand times in my life going to and returning from HWY 100. They seem to be priced right with free heat and underground parking. 9 times out of 10 when there is underground parking (concrete base structure) and free heat it means hydronic in floor heat exists.....:drool:

DerangedPony
12-21-2009, 08:00 PM
GarBear021 & DerangedPony, care to comment on these reviews for Southfield.....:stare

http://www.apartmentreviews.net/ratings/wisconsin/oak-creek/southfield-apartments.htm

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/WI-Oak-Creek-Southfield-Apartments.html

We never had most of these problems. I would have to agree that the windows do suck, but with our 2nd floor apt., I only turn the heat on when it gets below zero because most of the time, the temp is just fine in here (I like it on the colder side). As for the condition of the unit, when we moved in, the condition was better then I expected. The carpet was new and everything else seem clean. The fixtures are on the cheaper side, but it's not very bad.

As for noise, we are on the end of the building but I still have never heard any of my neighbors. The guy downstairs likes to blast the music sometimes that I can hear when I pass his window outside, but cannot be heard from the apt. Only thing I can hear for inside the apt. is the random landing airplane.

As for the management, we never had a problem. Also, the management was changed about three months ago, so somebody must of had problems so that's changed. As for break-ins, I find that very hard to believe. There have been zero problems the past year and everybody here is very nice. Some people even leave their garage open for most of the day without worry.

This info. is for the older buildings. The new buildings look very nice but I have never been in one. We did our research before moving in and for the areas we wanted to move to, this was the best place that had a garage and allowed animals.

Car Guy
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
They have 2000 sq ft w/ partial loft units with free heat on 92nd and layton that I was digging before I bought. Check them out, I think they were 750 a month for a 2 bedroom with the 800 sq ft loft area

I just spoke with the leasing office and that complex has no vacancies now or in the near future. The person I spoke with said there is very little turnaround which is good to know because it shows they are desired units but unfortunate for us right now.....:(

hrsp
12-23-2009, 09:49 PM

Very nice apartments!!!

British_Ben
12-24-2009, 11:02 AM
It all depends on what you call them, the definition of apartment is contradicting in itself.....:goof

Do you guys recall the name...??? Pictures would be great Crawlin, jjancarik@hotmail.com :)

Crawlin's place was really nice. I remember driving straight past it the first time I was heading over because it is so hidden from the road. I don't remember ever seeing an apartment sign saying what the name of the place was. I honestly don't think there is a sign like most apartment buildings have.

Car Guy
12-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Very nice apartments!!!

Why do you say that, have you been inside them...???

PB86MCSS
12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Stonegate has all that you are looking for, in New Berlin but would be out of your price range. Last I heard a one bedroom there was close to $900, might be worth looking into though in case its cheaper. Nice units and location, lived there for two years in a 3 bedroom. Private entrance, attached garage, large rooms, etc. I'd think with those requirements it will be very hard to find an apartment that meets them plus is that cheap...but I could be wrong.

Car Guy
12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Stonegate has all that you are looking for, in New Berlin but would be out of your price range. Last I heard a one bedroom there was close to $900, might be worth looking into though in case its cheaper. Nice units and location, lived there for two years in a 3 bedroom. Private entrance, attached garage, large rooms, etc. I'd think with those requirements it will be very hard to find an apartment that meets them plus is that cheap...but I could be wrong.

For what they are those are a little more than we'd like to spend.....

We are looking at the Kendal Woods apartments in Oak Creek this Sunday. $740 for a 880 sq/ft one bedroom with walk in closet, private entrance, and 2 underground parking spaces.....

hrsp
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Why do you say that, have you been inside them...???

yeah a few years back..very large and very clean...

pOrk
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM
So you ever find a place?

hrsp
04-13-2010, 01:04 AM
any update?

ND4SPD
04-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Hey if you haven't found something yet, I might know of a 1200 sq/ft ranch 3br/1bath with a nice 2 car detached (and heated... if you want it to be) garage that might be for rent sometime in the near future. ;)

Car Guy
05-03-2010, 04:16 AM
I forgot about this thread.....:durr

So you ever find a place?

any update?

I am currently staying with Laura at Kendall Woods apartment complex in Oak Creek and should be here until this fall. The unit is an 880 sq/ft 1 bedroom lower which includes one underground parking space, parking in the attached lot, and free parking on the street. The rent is $740 and utilities will average ~$100 per month. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a very nice apartment for a very decent price. Everything you need is VERY close, Target, Pick `n Save, Kohl's, Office Max, interstate access, etc. The complex was built in `00 and is very solid. The only noise heard from the neighbors is an occasional squeak in the floor above us, otherwise as quiet as a library.....

brotherbenn83
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey if you haven't found something yet, I might know of a 1200 sq/ft ranch 3br/1bath with a nice 2 car detached (and heated... if you want it to be) garage that might be for rent sometime in the near future. ;)

That sounds perfect for me, where is it at and how much $$$? I have a daughter due in July and will be needing a 3rd bedroom.