PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Handgun Training

Silver350
12-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Today I took a 8 hour class on defensive handgun. This course would provide the neccesary training on how to defend yourself in your home. It provided great information on what could happen if you ever get in the situation on having to use deadly force and what is neccesary to do afterwards. The instructor also gave me a tip on the range that helped me improve my shooting. If you are interested taking a course I highly recomed Micheal Bender. http://www.ppa-wi.com/

Also if you are looking on handgun laws or anyother state laws on guns here is a link for that information. http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

ADDED INFO - Contact Info

Hello again, Christopher,

Yes, I have room for your crew on Mar 20 as well as on Apr 10. Simply call
to discuss and pre-register.

Let me know more questions.

With best regards,

Michael Bender
(888) 657-4668
PPA-WI.com

I’ll be glad to have you in my handgun self-defense class on Saturday, February 13, 2010. This note provides info about location, schedule, gear, and your preparation.

I’ll begin instruction at 10:29am.

The complete course will be conducted at Fletcher Arms, 1441A E. Main Street, Waukesha, WI 53186, (262) 549-4488. Directions from I-94 and I-43 are below. GPS coordinates are included.

Please arrive between about 30 minutes early to receive class materials, and get settled in. If you need to reach me near class time that morning, my cell phone number is (608) 239-7474. Barring student equipment problems, I expect we’ll finish live-fire drills and your Utah carry permit training certifications by 7:45pm.

Please bring along a picture ID of some sort so we have identification for notarizing you documents.

Please don’t bring firearms and live ammunition into the classroom. Secure them in your vehicle or elsewhere until we visit the range.

As for gear, bring a handgun, at least 50 rounds of ammunition, and at least two serviceable magazines or a speedloader, if you have them. Holsters and mag pouches are not required for Handgun1. You may rent a handgun from Fletcher Arms. Rate is about $8.00 per hour and they require use of their ammunition. My recommendation for defensive handguns for this course are double-action revolver, .38 Special or larger caliber, or semi-automatic, double-action, 9MM or larger caliber. Fletcher Arms has either.

PLEASE be certain your firearm has recently been cleaned and is in safe working order. It likely ran just fine on your last visit to the range, but might decide to baulk on training day and cause you to return on another date to complete your live-fire qualification. You’re welcome to bring a second gun (and applicable ammo) if you’re concerned about reliability of your primary firearm. I’ll be grateful if you take some time before class to get re-acquainted with your gun. Practice clearing, loading, unloading, racking slides, releasing magazines, and using decocking and safety mechanisms. It wouldn’t hurt to read through your Owner’s Manual for a refresher on functionality.

If available, please bring ear protection, eye protection, and a baseball-type hat. Brimmed headgear will keep hot brass from finding its way between your eyepro and face. Pain may be temporary but makes concentration difficult, a serious safety event during live fire. Fletcher Arms has loaner eye and ear protection as well.

We’ll take periodic breaks to stretch and for a 30-minute lunch around 1:00. I highly recommend you bring a sack lunch to avoid missing part of the afternoon class should you get delayed in a restaurant. You’re quite welcome to bring food and beverages into the classroom. Dress casually and comfortably. Layering is best so you can adjust to varied temperatures in the classroom and range. It’s a long day.

What you need to do.

Just got done calling to set up for March 20th.

Think he said that Ron had already signed up. Just say you had seen it on the car website with Chris Minnich.

He'll get you all set up for the $140.

They can take care of the finger print stuff as well isntead of going to the police department for another $10, same thing as the passport quality photo they can do for another $10, and then $25 for Fletcher's for the whole day range time instead of the $14/hour.

So a total of $185, of which $140 I paid today. The other $45 is in cash at the range.

Come on and sign up! Mike was decent to talk to on the phone and answered my questions very well.

SSLEVO
12-19-2009, 10:46 PM
How much do all of those courses cost?

Rocket Power
12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
Odd they would have a CCW cert class in one of the two states w/o CCW

Silver350
12-19-2009, 11:52 PM
The cost of the handgun courses very. The class alone is $200 however sign up to get there e-mails and they will send you e-mails about discounted rates. When I signed up it was $139. For the class and then 25 for facilities fee and anothed 20 for them to finger print, take you photo and noterize your application for a Utah permit. Although right now there belovide cat is very ill and to try to save it they are offering courses for $50 each.

You cannot conceal with this permit in wisconsin or illinios but with this permit you can in 29 other states. So if you travel a lot you might be able to depending on if you are in a state that allows the utah permit.

SSLEVO
12-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Huh, weird. I guess i would be interested in just learning more about the topic. I'm not planning on cc anywhere.

Silver350
12-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah that is what I thought but I figured for them to do everything for the cc permit it was only an extra $20. I am getting mine in hopes that Wisconsin if they do pass CCW they would allow the use of the Utah Permit and if they do then I wouldn't have to take a class with all the other people trying to get their CCW permit. Plus I might be going to Texas this Summer so I would bring my firearm with me then.

Goat Roper
12-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info!

Goat Roper
02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Me and a buddy of mine form Iowa are taking this class on Saturday morning, supposed to be a huge class. I will let you know how it all goes.

fivonut
02-10-2010, 07:48 PM

It's believed that if/when WI approves CC there will be a class requirement and by having already completed a class you won't have to wait in long lines to take one after it's passed.

That_Guy
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM

i plan on taking it so when we do get it i will get grandfathered in

Crawlin
02-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Soon as I get a free weekend that matches up, I'll be wanting to take this too.

Quick96ss
02-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Let me know id be interested in taking this too!

That_Guy
02-10-2010, 11:38 PM
we should do this as a group if we get a group together he said the class would only cost 140! wammy

pOrk
02-11-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm in for this, let's make it happen.

lasttimearound
02-11-2010, 04:58 AM
me too

Crawlin
02-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Besides this month, it looks like March 20th(a Saturday) is the next day that he will be at Fletcher's for the training course. Otherwise the one after that is April 10th.

Since it's that far ahead, everyone look at your calendars and decide if you want to make a commitment to go to it. We could call him up and say we have 5-6 guys coming and see what he can do.

If everyone can decide on one date being better than another, I'll sign up right now with you guys.

Chris

http://www.ppa-wi.com/?aim=training_calendar

Silver350
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Me and a buddy of mine form Iowa are taking this class on Saturday morning, supposed to be a huge class. I will let you know how it all goes.

Just Remember what I told you about dressing warm. :thumbsup

HITMAN
02-11-2010, 08:21 AM
I'd be up for something like this. March or April, either one is good for me.

That_Guy
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
march or april are both open for me.

juicedimpss
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
sounds interesting

Crawlin
02-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I remember what you said too scott.... hahahah

So since it all works, looks like march would be the earlier one ,get it done and away.

Ron, does that conflict with anything with True Street or the baby for you?

juicedimpss
02-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I remember what you said too scott.... hahahah

So since it all works, looks like march would be the earlier one ,get it done and away.

Ron, does that conflict with anything with True Street or the baby for you?

hopefully not,baby not due till april.

Crawlin
02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
just asking in case doctor checkups or anything possible that day. that's all.

fivonut
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
The Carbine course looks interesting too!!

pOrk
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Besides this month, it looks like March 20th(a Saturday) is the next day that he will be at Fletcher's for the training course. Otherwise the one after that is April 10th.

Since it's that far ahead, everyone look at your calendars and decide if you want to make a commitment to go to it. We could call him up and say we have 5-6 guys coming and see what he can do.

If everyone can decide on one date being better than another, I'll sign up right now with you guys.

Chris

http://www.ppa-wi.com/?aim=training_calendar

I'm down for March 20th

WickedSix
02-11-2010, 04:01 PM
do they provide all the equipement or do you supply it yourself?

Silver350
02-11-2010, 04:28 PM
You can either bring your own gun or rent one from fletchers and you will need 30 rounds of ammo.

pOrk
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Says they include 50 rounds in the description?

That_Guy
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
count me in for the 20th of march!

Goat Roper
02-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Says they include 50 rounds in the description?

Not included, you must bring it. From the email i received yesterday on what to bring;

I’ll be glad to have you in my handgun self-defense class on Saturday, February 13, 2010. This note provides info about location, schedule, gear, and your preparation.

The complete course will be conducted at Fletcher Arms, 1441A E. Main Street, Waukesha, WI 53186, (262) 549-4488. Directions from I-94 and I-43 are below. GPS coordinates are included.

Please arrive between about 30 minutes early to receive class materials, and get settled in. If you need to reach me near class time that morning, my cell phone number is (608) 239-7474. Barring student equipment problems, I expect we’ll finish live-fire drills and your Utah carry permit training certifications by 7:45pm.

Please bring along a picture ID of some sort so we have identification for notarizing you documents.

Please don’t bring firearms and live ammunition into the classroom. Secure them in your vehicle or elsewhere until we visit the range.

As for gear, bring a handgun, at least 50 rounds of ammunition, and at least two serviceable magazines or a speedloader, if you have them. Holsters and mag pouches are not required for Handgun1. You may rent a handgun from Fletcher Arms. Rate is about $8.00 per hour and they require use of their ammunition. My recommendation for defensive handguns for this course are double-action revolver, .38 Special or larger caliber, or semi-automatic, double-action, 9MM or larger caliber. Fletcher Arms has either.

PLEASE be certain your firearm has recently been cleaned and is in safe working order. It likely ran just fine on your last visit to the range, but might decide to baulk on training day and cause you to return on another date to complete your live-fire qualification. You’re welcome to bring a second gun (and applicable ammo) if you’re concerned about reliability of your primary firearm. I’ll be grateful if you take some time before class to get re-acquainted with your gun. Practice clearing, loading, unloading, racking slides, releasing magazines, and using decocking and safety mechanisms. It wouldn’t hurt to read through your Owner’s Manual for a refresher on functionality.

If available, please bring ear protection, eye protection, and a baseball-type hat. Brimmed headgear will keep hot brass from finding its way between your eyepro and face. Pain may be temporary but makes concentration difficult, a serious safety event during live fire. Fletcher Arms has loaner eye and ear protection as well.

We’ll take periodic breaks to stretch and for a 30-minute lunch around 1:00. I highly recommend you bring a sack lunch to avoid missing part of the afternoon class should you get delayed in a restaurant. You’re quite welcome to bring food and beverages into the classroom. Dress casually and comfortably. Layering is best so you can adjust to varied temperatures in the classroom and range. It’s a long day.

Crawlin
02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I shot off the email, let's see what the response is about the feasibility of 6-7 of us joining that date.

Silver350
02-11-2010, 09:21 PM
I already sent the link to this site about you guys planning on attending. Hopefully you guys can all go. I can sit in the class again if I wish too. However I think I might wait till next year or so for a refresher later

That_Guy
02-11-2010, 09:42 PM
im pumped! that is all.

Rocket Power
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
I would hope that the training that I did at MATC would be enough to get me a permit if we ever get CCW here.

How much is the class you guys are talking about taking per person?

Reverend Cooper
02-12-2010, 01:25 AM

chris let me know when i will do it with you

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 06:57 AM
chris let me know when i will do it with you

Giggity? hahaha

Hello again, Christopher,

Yes, I have room for your crew on Mar 20 as well as on Apr 10. Simply call
to discuss and pre-register.

Let me know more questions.

With best regards,

Michael Bender
(888) 657-4668
PPA-WI.com

I'm calling today and registering for the class. So if you want to, I would be calling in the next couple days.

I will be attending the March 20th.

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 07:08 AM
If everyone who wants to go, but can't call today, wants to post or PM me their real name maybe I can put you on a reservation list. Just so we know how many people would be going total. I don't know if you pay now or pay at the time of class.

Chris Minnich
Mike Cooper
Ron Wesley

Silver350
02-12-2010, 08:02 AM
I think you have to pay when you call.

juicedimpss
02-12-2010, 08:06 AM
im in too chris.

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Guys, just call that (888) 657-4668 number and register today.

Goat Roper
02-12-2010, 09:30 AM
I think you have to pay when you call.

You can pay cash the day of the class.

After the class, fingerprints, photo and range fee it was like $180 for me.

Goat Roper
02-12-2010, 09:32 AM
If everyone who wants to go, but can't call today, wants to post or PM me their real name maybe I can put you on a reservation list. Just so we know how many people would be going total. I don't know if you pay now or pay at the time of class.

Chris Minnich
Mike Cooper
Ron Wesley

Each person needs to call individually eventually as he has direct questions for each person that he must ask before class. You can get him a number of people now to hold seats BUT everybody will have to call.

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Scott,

that's what I was assuming.

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Just got done calling to set up for March 20th.

Think he said that Ron had already signed up. Just say you had seen it on the car website with Chris Minnich.

He'll get you all set up for the $140.

They can take care of the finger print stuff as well isntead of going to the police department for another $10, same thing as the passport quality photo they can do for another $10, and then $25 for Fletcher's for the whole day range time instead of the $14/hour.

So a total of $185, of which $140 I paid today. The other $45 is in cash at the range.

Come on and sign up! Mike was decent to talk to on the phone and answered my questions very well.

pOrk
02-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I signed up, the passport photo anyone with a digital camera can do so that will save you 10 bucks :)

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
i have one too, i'm just too lazy, haha.

sweet that you signed up!

Goat Roper
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I signed up, the passport photo anyone with a digital camera can do so that will save you 10 bucks :)

They are really picky about passport photos, take it from someone who has done a ton of them

pOrk
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
They are really picky about passport photos, take it from someone who has done a ton of them

The examples on the post office website would be extremely easy to replicate, so I will be doing my own. 10 bucks to take a picture? This isn't the wisconsin state fair and their isn't a parrot on my shoulder, I ain't payin 10 bucks :rolf

juicedimpss
02-12-2010, 06:32 PM
The examples on the post office website would be extremely easy to replicate, so I will be doing my own. 10 bucks to take a picture? This isn't the wisconsin state fair and their isn't a parrot on my shoulder, I ain't payin 10 bucks :rolf

i can see why that would be a deal breaker.:rolf

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 06:59 PM
to me it's just a package deal thing.

the saving me the hassle of everything or even 10 seconds spent taking a picture at home and then printing it off, etc... is worth $10 to me.

I actually look at it like the fingerprint thing is worth the $20 to get it taken care of since that what seems the local PD is charging, so I'm still saving.

last thing I want is the application bounced because Utah didn't like my photo...

although I would really like one with a parrot, haha.

pOrk
02-12-2010, 08:39 PM
I have an African Grey we can put on your shoulder ;)

The fingerprint thing was 10 bucks, not 20. The picture thing, I will take two pictures for you for 10 bucks and I will photoshop a parrot on your shoulder and everything

Crawlin
02-12-2010, 09:05 PM
LMAO!!! hahaha.

I meant that at a local PD Ithink Greenfield said it was $20 last time I asked about it.

But definitely cool we got a good group going.

Goat Roper
02-13-2010, 11:54 AM
This class is packed today, not a seat left in the room

Silver350
02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
That is how it was for me when I went. All the chairs were full and there were seats in the far back with out a table that was occupied.

Crawlin
02-13-2010, 12:20 PM
the guy said there was 43 people signed up for it

Goat Roper
02-14-2010, 12:16 AM
Was a great day guys, Michael Bender (the instructor) does a hell of a job.

Crawlin
02-14-2010, 07:33 AM
That's awesome Scott! Lots of good info?

I can't wait.

Reverend Cooper
02-14-2010, 09:32 AM
chris revise your first post,with all essentials,phone number,cost what you need to bring all that great stuff. it wil make it easier that someone having to read the whole thread.
thanks

Crawlin
02-14-2010, 12:51 PM
I updated the very first post of Scott's with just general contact info as well as what Mike sent out in an email as to what to bring and then some more general information I found in the thread.

Goat Roper
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
That's awesome Scott! Lots of good info?

Tons of great info, exam is a bitch though. Not supposed to talk about it since he knows a bunch of you guys are coming up :thumbsup We did not get out of their until a little after 8, we started at 10:30. Part of that is waiting for the range to open up at 6.

As far as the day is concerned, take a cooler with your soda and eats, including lunch. Also, the chairs really wear on your ass after a while. If you are someone who doesn't like sitting for long periods, you might want to think about a cushion, because you are on your ass ALOT.

You will be shooting 30 rounds this day and you can rent a gun from Fletchers or bring your own. Do NOT shoot the wires supporting the targets, as someone found out :rolf

Also, sit back and enjoy watching all the people who have never shot a gun before try and shoot....especially the people who have never shot a .357 Magnum before...go times.

pOrk
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Did anyone not pass?

Goat Roper
02-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Did anyone not pass?

The person who shot down the target rope left early. Thats all I recall but there were alot of people in there.

Crawlin
02-15-2010, 04:55 PM
hahahahaha

shot the targer rope down. DAMN.

moels
02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
When the boy and I went, I shot little high at 70' and hit the arm that the target clamps into. Ooops!

Silver350
02-15-2010, 05:39 PM
The exam wasnt that hard how ever a couple of the written questions had me stumped.

Goat Roper
02-15-2010, 07:11 PM
hahahahaha

shot the targer rope down. DAMN.

The people with the .357 kept nailing the metal bar in front of the clamp. Must have had hollows in it as the bullet just exploded across the paper, ripping it down the sides. Looked like a damn meteor hit it.

juicedimpss
02-16-2010, 08:13 AM
im paid up and locked in.

Crawlin
02-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Sweet!

Scott(Silver350), did you get your permit yet? I remember when we went shooting you said they had cashed the check, but you hadn't received anything yet?

Silver350
02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
No I am still waiting on my permit. I was reading on the internet about some guy that sent his in sometime in october and got it end of december. I guess they have 90 days to get your permit out to you. Right now its only been a month for me I think I figured my 90 days would be sometime in March.

Reverend Cooper
02-17-2010, 08:40 PM
called him and left a message to get into the class.

Crawlin
02-18-2010, 11:43 AM
did he call you back Coop?

Reverend Cooper
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I am locked in talked to mike tonight

Reverend Cooper
02-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Don't forget about this the class is filling up quick

Silver350
02-19-2010, 10:24 PM
So how many of you guys going?

Reverend Cooper
02-20-2010, 06:38 AM
so far just from here,its me,chris,ron and a couple others i believe,i think my boss just signed up too,

Silver350
02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
Today I received my Utah Permit in the mail I placed my permit application in the mailbox on December 31, 2009. Utah cashed my check on January 12, 2010 and recieved the permit today. A total of 53 days from when I dropped it in the mailbox.

Goat Roper
02-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Today I received my Utah Permit in the mail I placed my permit application in the mailbox on December 31, 2009. Utah cashed my check on January 12, 2010 and recieved the permit today. A total of 53 days from when I dropped it in the mailbox.

Well they are saying within 60 days, down to the wire but they made it :thumbsup

Silver350
02-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I read on the internet that a guy put his in the mail october 9th 2009 and it took him 87 days to recieve him. I thought it was 90 days that they had to get it to you

juicedimpss
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
coming up quickly,who else is locked in for this coarse?

pOrk
03-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Meee

That_Guy
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Im passing up on this months and hopping in on next months.

Reverend Cooper
03-15-2010, 08:01 PM
are we gonna meet up for breakfast,I cant shoot on a empty tank

pOrk
03-15-2010, 08:06 PM
are we gonna meet up for breakfast,I cant shoot on a empty tank

I'm in, where we eatin?

Crawlin
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
i'm all for that. there's the mcD's that's right down the street if you want something quick. Otherwise I believe there is a denny's just a bit up the way as well.

Question -

what are the shooting requirements portion of this training? Would like to get a couple "practices" before saturday.

we should be receiving an email soon from what I was told. I'm trying to find my big cooler for a bunch of soda/gatorade for the day too.

Crawlin
03-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Remember to dress in layers from what the earlier "students" have said. Classroom could be cold, even though it's supposed to be 50's this week.

And seat cushion of some sort I'm thinking. My backside can't take real long periods of sitting.

Silver350
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Chris you will do fine on the shooting part. One is you shoot a 8 1/2x11 piece of paper from 10' away and then another 8 1/2x11 piece of paper from 20 feet away.

Reverend Cooper
03-15-2010, 08:41 PM
^ Really,maybe i should bring the Judge and 50 #4 and absolutely destroy the paper in one shot. Whatcha think Chris

Reverend Cooper
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm in, where we eatin?

lets see if we can get the whole gang together early park at fletchers and ride to dennys in one car.

Silver350
03-15-2010, 09:10 PM
^ Really,maybe i should bring the Judge and 50 #4 and absolutely destroy the paper in one shot. Whatcha think Chris

Yep it is seriously that close. I think he does that because your not really going fire your weapon far away. I dont think you would be able to use the judge.

Crawlin
03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Can always bring it and ask, hahaha.

I'm down for meeting early and headingto the denny's. I think the denny's is right down the street by Wilde Honda? bit further east. Not 100% sure though.

Oh wait, just remembered that's a Burger King.

Reverend Cooper
03-15-2010, 09:24 PM
hey whats the link for the stuff we gotta read up on before the class.

Silver350
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.ppa-wi.com/?aim=course_preparation

Very good Read. He also recommends in his class to read the book On Combat by LT. Col. Dave Grossman....... Just dont pick up the book by him called "On Killing" LOL I did and it is a lot of stuff for the Military and dont think it is the same.

Reverend Cooper
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
thanks alot scott

Crawlin
03-16-2010, 06:40 AM
there was a baker's square down the street at one point. don't remember if it's there anymore. was across the street from boucher chevrolet

MurphysLaw88GT
03-16-2010, 09:16 AM
It is now a computer place. The Bakers Square is gone.

Crawlin
03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
dammit! we are screwed for breakfast. mcd's or BK is all there is I think. that little diner next to the carpet store gone too? I remember someone who worked at the carpet store always had some cool GTO's out front back in the late 80's early 90's

Silver350
03-16-2010, 03:39 PM
No problem coop. And I was at fletchers this weekend and it wasnt bad temp wise just bring atleast a sweatshirt and you should be good.

Reverend Cooper
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
chris we will hammer it out by this weekend

Crawlin
03-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Just got the email....

I’ll be glad to have you in my handgun self-defense class on Saturday, March 20, 2010. This note provides info about location, schedule, gear, and your preparation. I’ll be grateful if you pass along this info to those who will attend with you.

The complete course will be conducted at Fletcher Arms, 1441A E. Main Street, Waukesha, WI 53186, (262) 549-4488. A link to Google Maps, driving directions from I-94 and I-43, and GPS coordinates are provided below.

Please bring a picture ID of some sort, like a driver license, for when notarize your documents.

Please don’t bring firearms and live ammunition into the classroom. Secure them in your vehicle until we visit the range.

As for gear, bring a handgun, at least 30 rounds of ammunition, and a couple of serviceable magazines or a speedloader, if you have them. Holsters and mag pouches aren’t required. Fletcher Arms rents handguns for about $8.00. If renting, they require use of their ammunition. Preferable caliber for this course is .38 Special for revolver or 9MM or larger for semi-automatic.

If bringing your own firearm, be certain it’s clean and in safe working order. I’ll inspect all equipment prior to live-fire drills. Take some time to before class to get re-acquainted with your gun and its owner’s manual for a refresher on functionality … clearing, loading, unloading, racking slides, releasing magazines, and using decocking and safety mechanisms.

You’ll need ear protection, eye protection, and a baseball-type hat on the firing line, the latter to keep hot brass from finding its way between your eyepro and face. Pain may be temporary but it makes concentration difficult, a safety issue during live fire. Fletcher Arms has loaner eye and ear protection for those without.

Stretch breaks will be periodic. Lunch break will be 30 minutes. I recommend a sack lunch. Bring them to the classroom if you like.

Dress casually and comfortably. It’s a long day.

To prepare for the course please read the four essays on my Web site: www.PPA-WI.com. Click “Course Preparation” on the front-page menu.

When you arrive, we’ll collect $25 in cash for your classroom and range facility use.

Your Utah permit-to-carry application requires a completed fingerprint card and passport-quality photo. We can take your prints and photo in class for $10 each ($20 cash total per person), about what it costs elsewhere. Or, you can have your police department take your fingerprints and have a passport photo service take your photo. We can notarize your application for no charge during class.

Let me know questions. My contact info is below and attached. We’ll see you that morning.

With best regards,

Michael Bender

Personal Protection Academy

(888) 657-4668)

Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=1441A%20E.%20Main%20Street%2C%20Waukesha%2C%20WI %2053186

GPS Coordinates: 43:01:10 North

88:12:24 West

Directions from Interstate 94:

Take Exit 297 off I94 heading southwest onto E. Moreland Road.

After about 0.7 miles on E. Moreland, move to the left-hand lane.

Pass Springdale Road on your right, exiting left off Moreland onto E. Main Street.

Proceed on Main across Hwy 164 and look for Fletcher Arms on your left.

The building is a single-story structure with gravel parking lot in front.

Directions from Interstate 43:

Take Hwy 164 north to E. Main Street.

Turn left or southwesterly on E. Main.

Fletcher Arms will be roughly 500 meters farther on your left.

Crawlin
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
So what's the deal for tomorrow?

9:15am at Fletcher's then run to grab something to eat? Get back to fletcher's by 10 so we are ready to go by 10:29(hahah)

Chris

Everyone read the 4 essays on the site?

Silver350
03-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Wow. When I went our class started at 8:30 am.

Crawlin
03-19-2010, 09:44 PM
I'll be up around 8am, so if anyone wants to call to meet up early, just let me know. Otherwise I'm assuming we are all eating on our own :) haha

Reverend Cooper
03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
i will call you when i leave my house chris i dont know the area well so we can meet at fletchers and go from there.

pOrk
03-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Someone give me a ring and let me know what time we are meeting and where, thanks!

414 531 4552 -Eric

Reverend Cooper
03-20-2010, 12:44 AM
no problem eric we will call you.

pOrk
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Wam in here, looks to be about 30 ppl. Tons of info thus far anyone with a hand gun should take a class like this :)

Crawlin
03-20-2010, 07:58 PM
great class. great group. great info!! lots of great info! can't wait to take handgun 2 class. that will before sure happening.

ROUGH ass exam at the end, haha.

Goat Roper
03-20-2010, 11:21 PM
That exam will trip you up

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
yeah its no class for dummies thats for sure

Crawlin
03-21-2010, 06:30 PM
I did particulary like how he said, "you should NOT go around wearing 'team glock' shirts all the time."

then there was that group of 6 in front of us that had like their shooting team shirts, haha

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
That was quite comical

HITMAN
04-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Went for this today. Very informative. I think I will definitely be doing the rest of these courses. I also need to get back into shooting on a regular basis.

Reverend Cooper
04-03-2010, 10:29 PM
yup cant wait for the next class,i wanna get my subcompact .40 out and shoot so i can get used to the feel

HITMAN
04-03-2010, 11:13 PM
yup cant wait for the next class,i wanna get my subcompact .40 out and shoot so i can get used to the feel

I took my XDm .40 today. I'll have to find out if I can bring both that and my Taurus model 85Ti as well. Although I'd probably get picked on because it's got an exposed hammer and Crimson Trace grips... :rolf

Reverend Cooper
04-03-2010, 11:24 PM
yeah i purposefully bout a hammerless with regular sights because of that lol thats the truth its the 24/7

Goat Roper
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
My permit just came in today. They cashed the check on March 5th, so thats around 52 days.