PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting FU*T on their car insurance premiums lately?

brotherbenn83
12-19-2009, 11:32 AM
So apparently WI making car insurance mandatory is a BAD thing. I just got my policy renewal from GEICO, and with no NEW tickets/accidents/claims it went up $200/6 months! According to them it is due to mandatory insurance/higher limits set by WI as of 11/1/09. Limits which I already had in place because of requirements through GMAC since one of my cars is leased. Anyone else being affected by this? Who do you have for car insurance and how affordable are your premiums? I think it is time for me to do some shopping. I am 26 with a decent driving record with an 04 GTO, my wife has a flawless driving record, is 25 and drives an 08 Impala. We should NOT be having to pay $1000/6 months. This is RIDICULOUS!

Car Guy
12-19-2009, 11:45 AM
That is the downside to mandatory insurance, expect to pay considerable more though any company.....

T-Bag
12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Find somone else, mine stayed the same througgh state farm

Waver
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
mine should be about the same per month...........I have higher than needed coverage

Yooformula
12-19-2009, 11:50 AM
mine went up also and I carried the NEW min requirements for several months but the prices didnt go up UNTIL my renewal took place.

Car Guy
12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
the prices didnt go up UNTIL my renewal took place.

That is when the increase will happen for most people.....

Yooformula
12-19-2009, 12:01 PM
That is when the increase will happen for most people.....

I knew that already, I was referring to the comments by nutwaver, "mine should be about the same per month...........I have higher than needed coverage". I too already carried higher coverage but rates still went up with the new renewal.

xxtremeteam
12-19-2009, 12:05 PM
going to call and look in to mine on monday I forgot to call yesterday, i do know my dads and brothers motorcycle insurance doubled per year

GTSLOW
12-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Just got a $100 check from USAA. Rates staying the same thru renewal so no complaints here.

Prince Valiant
12-19-2009, 12:14 PM
On the only car I've renewed, I carried the state minimums, and sure enough, it just about doubled, just as the new minimums did.

Rocket Power
12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
The insurance companies warned about this when the debate was going on before the bill passed. They were against teh bill

tommyt5078
12-19-2009, 12:36 PM
Try AAA lowest rates around!!!!!

JC70SS
12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
geico sucks, that is your 1st problem.

DRK
12-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Change!

BoosTT
12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
What are the new minimums?

lordairgtar
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Everyone will get hit with this. If you want to get a bit of a savings, call your agent and have them remove the medical. If you have an insurance health plan already, you don't need the medical provision on your insurance for the car. The insurance companies won't tell you this and they might put up a fuss if they are out of state, but in Wisconsin it's optional. When my bill went up, I removed the medical and my rates went back to what I had. Individual results may vary.

03CVLX
12-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Call Starr Insurance 414-421-9200 I deal with Debbie but they usually just transfer you to the first available rep. They will shop multiple companies to find the best deal I have $500,000 straight across full coverage and $10,000 medical I have just myself on my policy and I am paying 720 or so for the entire year.

brotherbenn83
12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Progressive.com quoting me $690/6 months with lower deductibles than what I have now. Anyone on here use them or have any experience with them?

URLOZIN
12-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Progressive.com quoting me $690/6 months with lower deductibles than what I have now. Anyone on here use them or have any experience with them?
I'm with progressive now, and with my bad driving record I'm happy with the prices I'm paying. For example. I switched my t/a over to just comp from full coverage like two months ago, and I saw on my bill the other day that they still had liability, I called them up and told them they forgot to take off the liability. They refunded me the $250 for the two months that I had more coverage than I wanted.

brotherbenn83
12-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Cool, I just dropped my deductibles to $1000 and took off rental coverage and got our 6 month premium to $650...only $400 cheaper than GEICO. That fuckin dancing lizard is EXPENSIVE!

Turbo-Triumph
12-19-2009, 04:04 PM
So apparently WI making car insurance mandatory is a BAD thing. I just got my policy renewal from GEICO, and with no NEW tickets/accidents/claims it went up $200/6 months! According to them it is due to mandatory insurance/higher limits set by WI as of 11/1/09. Limits which I already had in place because of requirements through GMAC since one of my cars is leased. Anyone else being affected by this? Who do you have for car insurance and how affordable are your premiums? I think it is time for me to do some shopping. I am 26 with a decent driving record with an 04 GTO, my wife has a flawless driving record, is 25 and drives an 08 Impala. We should NOT be having to pay $1000/6 months. This is RIDICULOUS!

I pay $1000 / 3 months.. :(

DONT FORGET THE ADDITIONAL COVERAGE IS OPTIONAL UNLESS YOU NEED FULL COVERAGE!

options: take 10k in medical, take NO ZERO ZILCH medical.

^this according to my representative^

brotherbenn83
12-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Full coverage is necessary in my case because one vehicle has a lien on it, and the other is leased.

brotherbenn83
12-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I pay $1000 / 3 months.. :(
options: take 10k in medical, take NO ZERO ZILCH medical.

WTF??? Is this written in English?

88Nightmare
12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Try AAA lowest rates around!!!!!

um, no. fucking garbage for insurance. They are a smaller company... they have less capital to work with and generally charge MORE. They dropped me for NO reason

geico sucks, that is your 1st problem.

Not quite. Geico was one of the cheapest companies when I shopped around. And so far they have been flawless. Great customer service so far too.

Cool, I just dropped my deductibles to $1000 and took off rental coverage and got our 6 month premium to $650...only $400 cheaper than GEICO. That fuckin dancing lizard is EXPENSIVE!

Progressive was the most expensive when I was shopping around over the summer

SSLEVO
12-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm at 500 for 6 months on my 09 civic si at 25 with one ticket. When i get married i'll add the womans 03 envoy for about 100 a month for both. Full coverage on both. This is through progressive.

wrath
12-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Insurance companies are like underwear: change them often. They'll just keep creeping up in price until you get irritated and they couldn't care less if you switched.

And Wisconsin insurance now sucks. When I moved here everyone was like "insurance is so cheap in Wisconsin." Bullshit. It's only cheap if you're a 50 year old farmer that lives in NW Wisconsin who has no liens and drives 1980s Ford F150s with 300I6s. My insurance went up when I moved here from Michigan.

Yes, PL/PD is WAY cheaper in Wiconsin but full coverage is more.

I pay ~$900/six months on my 09 Silverado and 07 G6, both with full coverage. The Silverado has replacement cost on it and no GAP (I financed a third of it). The G6 has GAP on it and after paying for two years I'm still way underwater on it (thanks Obama). The Silverado is $400/6 months and the G6 is $500/6 months even though the Silverado stickered for twice as much.

tbirddriver92
12-19-2009, 05:21 PM
My parents and I go through progressive insurance and it all got bumped up. I used to only have to pay under $100 for the Tbird, but now I have to pay $153 every 6 months. I won't even say how much it is for my dad's '08 Stang:wow

Turbo-Triumph
12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
WTF??? Is this written in English?

yes! i got a letter with this stated on it!

I havent called or talked to anyone specificly on that topic, b/c i need full coverage, but that is excatly what the letter said!

Reverend Cooper
12-19-2009, 07:30 PM
call west bend mutual they saved me 900.00 every year over am family,and since i have a umbrella policy i dont need to have as high of coverages on my cars

0TransAm0
12-19-2009, 08:14 PM
i have state farm and when i bought the house my car insurance went DOWN from $418 every six months to $198 every six months.. and i also ADDED my fiance on the insurance for my car. her car went from $746 to $412 with me added to it... we also have our home owners threw state farm as well..

BAD LS1
12-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Badger Mutual here... For my wife (24) and me (28) its about 650 every 6 for the '08 TBSS and the '10 Camaro and i recently added an 02' saturn, which bumped it about another $100 with full cov on everything. They even pulled full cov and kept comp on the Camaro since its in storage to help me save money and took care of notifying GMAC of the change effective to april 1 '10.

I have a shitty past record, but most has dropped off sans 1 ten over and a racing ticket that will be 5 years old july 1. We also have our homeowners through them too, but that didn't seem to do much to the auto rates... I was paying $1,000 every 6 through allstate before with full cov all year on one vehicle and full cov for 6 mo on one pleasure vehicle (01' camaro). Not looking forward to seeing the next bill which is coming soon with the nice new bump.

Yooformula
12-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I was told all policies would be going up in the new year with your renewals so the rates you HAVE been seeing wont be the same regardless unless you make changes. Alot of people seem to be quoting low prices but of the people quoting prices how many of you are quoting from your RENEWAL notices? The new rates dont go into effect until the new year with the renewals.

I gotta dump our medical coverage on the car insurance on monday but I just put the car into storage so I dropped almost everything on that one.

lilws6
12-19-2009, 09:32 PM
i've got american family on the T/A and it acually dropped to half of what i used to pay a month i pay about $100 a month now vs $250

Inspector13
12-19-2009, 11:49 PM
I got American Family insurance. I pay $714 every 6 months ($119 a month) for two cars. One full coverage and the other comprehensive only. I am 26, single, and on high risk insurance. When my tickets drop off next summer I will be back on the "preferred rate" and my payments will drop "extensively" just so long as I don't get any new tickets or wreck my car. I don't know how much is extensively but it's gotta be cheaper then what I pay now.

Inspector13
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
I got American Family insurance. I pay $714 every 6 months ($119 a month) for two cars. One full coverage and the other comprehensive only. I am 26, single, and on high risk insurance. When my tickets drop off next summer I will be back on the "preferred rate" and my payments will drop "extensively" just so long as I don't get any new tickets or wreck my car. I don't know how much is extensively but it's gotta be cheaper then what I pay now.

BTW this is not my renewal rate. I don't renew till next October.

Damn we need an edit post button or something.

Al
12-20-2009, 12:35 AM

Now is the time to shop around. Insurance companies can hike your rates for no apparent reason. I am certain that you will find the same coverage for a lower rate elsewhere.

chargedformula
12-20-2009, 02:07 AM
i second giving starr insurance a call. i go through them with my auto and home, they do the shopping for you. we were with one insurance company and they gave me a call asking if i wanted to switch to another one that would be cheaper. i didnt even have to contact them first to see if they could find something cheaper. of course i said i wanted to switch so they sent me the paper work highlighted where i need to add some info and sign. i cant remember what company i am through, but my rates are 106 a month for an 04 grand prix gtp and 00 sunfire. i am 26 and wife is 22

nismodave
12-20-2009, 07:26 AM
I switched to Acuity Ins, and it costs me under 1000 a year for homeowners, the Mazda and Nissan.

lilws6
12-20-2009, 07:31 AM
oh yea i don't know wen my renewal is i would assume feb. since thats wen i started the insurance?

Doc Brown
12-20-2009, 12:26 PM
This just serves as another reason NOT to live in this cesspool of a state.

T-Bag
12-20-2009, 04:14 PM

Then leave?

Goat Roper
12-20-2009, 04:29 PM

I think new hampshire is your only other choice then, all other states mandate auto insurance.

Doc Brown
12-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Then leave?
I'm working towards it, but until I can it's things like this that force me to stay just a little bit longer. Rather than putting that cash towards my Escape From Wisconsin fund, I now have to pay out even more on my policies even though I'm well above those minimums already.

Along with the neverending taxes, it just seems that the only way our state and local government can keep people from leaving the state is by taxing and feeing its citizens to death, effectively squeezing any surplus money we might otherwise have and reallocating it to other sources.

Sorry for the rant, but we all know that this mandate is just another in a long line of financial screwings that we've all been forced to endure for far too long here in Wisconsin.

Yooformula
12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I think new hampshire is your only other choice then, all other states mandate auto insurance.

yes other states may mandate insurance but they dont charge as much as wisconsin does! my family back east pay less than we do and they insure ALOT more shit than I have!

brotherbenn83
12-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm surprised there was not a "Go Steelers!" attached on the end of that. J/K Yoo.

Karps TA
12-20-2009, 08:55 PM
IMO everybody should shop their insurance around every couple of years. I don't care if your agent is a "close family friend", they are still making money off you, and I bet you'd be surprised how much that friend is making. It just keeps them honest.

Silver03SRT
12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
I owe 580 for 6 months. Full coverage for my denali and comp on my mustang which is in storage.

Stangman98
12-20-2009, 11:37 PM
Here is another thing to remember. Credit is now effecting your rates. As in your personal credit. Also, remember that the amount paid is based a lot of different factors. Auto insurance in a state with a high amount of deer vs. vehicle is going to be higher then a state where those types of losses are far and few in between.
AmFam here. Have had them for 17yrs.

xxtremeteam
12-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I called my state farm rep today she told me to expect like a $20 every 6month increase on each car so thats 60.00 more every 6months guess it could be worse

PureSound15
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
yes other states may mandate insurance but they dont charge as much as wisconsin does! my family back in the middle- east pay less than we do and they insure ALOT more shit than I have!

Yoosof, I hardly think that your family insuring their camels and gas stations in DurkaShaiemmmbob-click, can be compared to Wisconsin's insurance laws :shades

BR3W CITY
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I just paid my renewal. American family, 24 y/o pay $203 every 6 months. No moving violations in over 5 years, no other tickets in the last 2. Thats on my Blazer for regular min coverage, and uninsured motorist.
This was like $7 more than last time.

xxtremeteam
12-28-2009, 03:05 PM
got my renewal from state farm today on my Daily driver and mine went up $1.53 a month cant really bitch alot over that I expected worse

0TransAm0
12-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Yoosof, I hardly think that your family insuring their camels and gas stations in DurkaShaiemmmbob-click, can be compared to Wisconsin's insurance laws :shades

LMAO! :rolf:rolf:rolf

lordairgtar
12-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Oh God, he didn't go there, did he? I sense ban hammer.:devil:devil