PDA

View Full Version : paypal scams?

JC70SS
12-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Anyway here is the story. I have listed on CL one of my Mothers diamond rings for $8000. This woman who claims to be in Elgin,Il wants to paypal me $8200 to ship it to her at a provided address there overnight. She wants to paypal me the money. I am not going to do this because it makes no sense as she has never seen the ring except the shitty pics and has never even talked on the phone with me. I know of 1 scam where people claim they never received an item and dispute it with paypal.

Crawlin
12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
yep, they can dispute it with their credit card. hell people were doing that with Speed Inc. and credit cards.

On the other hand, she may be wanting to use paypal because she has no cash and wants to use a credit card and pay it off over 40 years. Gotta have the fancy diamonds though.

I guess you could ignore it, or send it insured through UPS for the 8000 and have it so she has to sign for it when it gets there.

that way if she ends up saying that she never got it, UPS will investigate the tracking of the package, and you'll get your $8000 back.

Had that happen with a driveshaft i sold and sent to CA. guy claimed he got a box of clothes. How the hell a box got switched like that I don't know?

deuceWI
12-18-2009, 09:44 AM
For an extra $200 go take a drive and deliver it.

You either get cash in your hand, or you beat someone's ass for being a lame scammer who wasted your time.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Elgin=Some shady.

GTSLOW
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
It could always be linked to a shady bank account or what not. I would say ok as long as you can wait for the money to transfer and everything clears out ok.

HP ADDICT
12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Drive it or pay a packing company like pak mail ship it. They can document the shipment. Also insure it and make sure the money is in your account first.

Yooformula
12-18-2009, 03:23 PM
depending on her credit card, she should be able to get a check from them at a bank. have her get you a bank check and for the $200 extra drop it off and take her with you to the bank to cash it there. if she has the credit limit for $8k, I am SURE she has the credit line for cash out or a check.

lordairgtar
12-18-2009, 07:34 PM
If you think someones offer might be sketchy, you can always tell them it is already sold.

DirtyMax
12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Tell her you wont ship it until the paypal payment clears into your bank account. It usually only takes 2 days after you withdraw it. This is the stipulation I put on my ebay auctions.

Crawlin
12-19-2009, 07:54 AM
unfortunately alot of times, credit cards may have the 8k limit, but cash advance may only be $1000. had that happen a ton of times with people with 0% cards trying to buy a car with their credit card. We didn't accept that so they tried the bank and they couldn't get all the money.

JC70SS
12-19-2009, 08:45 AM
well I told her to personally call me to talk....she said she couldn't because she was on a mission somewhere:rolf

It is done and over with.

Car Guy
12-19-2009, 10:25 AM
well I told her to personally call me to talk....she said she couldn't because she was on a mission somewhere:rolf

It is done and over with.

I'm surprised she was able to talk with you being on a 'mission somewhere', scammers are getting desperate.....:loser

Irish
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM