PDA

View Full Version : motor issues

Ricky Bobby
12-17-2009, 09:09 PM
have a 406 in the monte went to start it tonight to get it out of the way to work on wifes truck and it will not stay running spitting and sputtering and pulled 3 plugs quick they are soaked in gas and black.

this motor is a mystery motor the guy who built it passed of cancer i dont know whats in it for cam heads or anything else they are either forged or hyper(the other one lol) pistons, have a edlebrock carb on the car belive its a 750 avenger msd 6al box and billet dist.

so my question is i dont want to run this motor no more till i can get it by someone that can tune it and look it over i am willing to pay, im afraid it has to high compression also since it has dome pistons in it my life right now im at a breaking point with a bunch of crap so i figured i would ask here i know there are alot of knowledgeable people on here. Car has 93oct in it now since 87 pinged like all hell also.

So i dont know if i should pull motor and have it tore down and looked at and reassembled im just afraid if its dumping gas that im gonna wash out a bearing or a ring and fuck my motor all to hell so thanx in advance for the help guys.

Sprayaway Fox
12-17-2009, 09:34 PM
If its a street avenger its a holley. Id throw somebody elses carb on it and see it if stops that. Sounds like either a stuck float or needs a rebuild cause its got junk in it.

Ya can pound on the fuel bowls with the wood part of the hammer handle. Might just be a stuck float. FP needs to be at 6-6.5 when running. Those carbs got a decent setting factory if it hasnt been turned on yet. Check fuel window on passenger side. When car is running or sitting they should be half way up the sight glass.

Ricky Bobby
12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
it only has the 2 mixture screws on the front that i can see it came off a built 455 im thinking the jets just might be to damn big for my 406 maybe

i dunno if i cant get this thing figured out its goin in a derby car with fresh plugs and my foot threw the floor board gonna wreck some shit while it lasts :rolf

but i would prefer to get it figured out so i can keep my old car around :thumbsup

sloLs1
12-17-2009, 10:35 PM
prlly jus a carb issue, as stated befor.

Ricky Bobby
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
hmm i guess ill find another and try that cause it ran great for awhile this summer then its been about a month since it been run and it did this now

BAD LS1
12-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Or just throw the carb in the garbage?

DR.FORD
12-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Needle and seat, not a sunk float 'cause those were phelonic (spelling?) floats.
Just a simple carb issue. Take the carb off and bring it to me. CHANGE THE OIL and pull plugs and spin the motor. Easy fix.

Ricky Bobby
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Needle and seat, not a sunk float 'cause those were phelonic (spelling?) floats.
Just a simple carb issue. Take the carb off and bring it to me. CHANGE THE OIL and pull plugs and spin the motor. Easy fix.done i can do that thanx jim :thumbsup

lordairgtar
12-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Phenolic

Ricky Bobby
12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
thanx jim great to meet ya and chat also hope to see u soon once i get it running again also wife wants me to have you check out the body work and maybe shoot me a price.

thanx for the mini tour of the shop also didnt know that was ur shop there :rolf my son deff loved checking it out will be in contact soon for some other things :thumbsup

Crawlin
12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
wife wants me to have you check out the body work and maybe shoot me a price.

isn't that a bit personal? Didn't know Jim was still in "that business" :)

:banana1::banana

Ricky Bobby
12-28-2009, 02:45 PM
thanx chris he has some nice body work goin on down there thats for sure ;)

DR.FORD
12-28-2009, 06:26 PM
isn't that a bit personal? Didn't know Jim was still in "that business" :)

:banana1::banana
hehehe!

thanx jim great to meet ya and chat also hope to see u soon once i get it running again also wife wants me to have you check out the body work and maybe shoot me a price.

thanx for the mini tour of the shop also didnt know that was ur shop there :rolf my son deff loved checking it out will be in contact soon for some other things :thumbsup

Thank you, glad I was able to help-didn't even have to google anything to fix it, either!!:rolf

Ricky Bobby
12-28-2009, 07:27 PM
hehehe!

Thank you, glad I was able to help-didn't even have to google anything to fix it, either!!:rolf

:rolf did u ever get the response u were looing for

Ricky Bobby
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
well just put the redone carb back on the monte changed oil and plugs, car runs 100% better than before gonna change the oil to the good stuff tomm. just to make sure i got all the gas out, next is bring it down by jim for some tuning and maybe some body work

again thanx a million jim quick cheap and awesome work cant wait for spring :thumbsup

jbiscuit
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
next is bring it down by jim for some tuning and maybe some body work

Glad to hear you got that bish running good Tony! Can't wait to see it go now that she's makin some HP. :headbang

Ricky Bobby
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
oh it goes somewhere lol need to get the 3:55 posi in there over that 2:73 crap lol

HY35F2T
01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
oh it goes somewhere lol need to get the 3:55 posi in there over that 2:73 crap lol
Sounds like its geared for a turbo :shades:goof

Ricky Bobby
01-18-2010, 01:50 PM
nah a buddy is giving me a deal on a 12bolt with those gears otherwise it would be a little steeper lol