PDA

View Full Version : Mag, for the PS3

Myles
12-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Since it was brought up by Mikey in the PS3 name thread. I would like to inform you guys about Mag.

If you don't know what it is, its a 256 player FPS.

Each map can hold 256 players split up in squads, squad leaders choose objectives and blah blah. I played the beta, its fucking awesome. Graphics arent the extreme best, but the fact that you play with 256 other players makes up for it.

More info can be had here.
http://blog.mag.com/blog/
http://www.mag.com

Exitspeed
12-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I really hope this game is epic and lives up to the hype. When they debuted this (I think it was at E3 LAST year), it blew everyone away.

That_Guy
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
SICK.... ive been hooked on playing battlefield 1943 "14.99 in the ps3 store" and battlefield bad company because of the the LARGE MAPS and getting a squad of guys together. imo its more fun then cod4,wow,and mw2 because of the team work and not so much spray nd pray fest... but then again im a huge fan of new socom...

Myles
12-16-2009, 10:36 AM
The beta was fun as fucking hell. Even with all the bugs. So I expect this game to do very well.

That_Guy
12-16-2009, 10:38 AM
The beta was fun as fucking hell. Even with all the bugs. So I expect this game to do very well.

so is it more squad bases?

Myles
12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Extremely squad based. You have to defend several points at once. Your squad leader will select buildings depending on how heavy they are being hit, if you lose that location you are spawned by the other squads to help defend those locations. So if you are on the attacking side you want to try and make sure they are taken out all at once due to having to deal with alot more opposition when bases fall one by one.

That_Guy
12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Extremely squad based. You have to defend several points at once. Your squad leader will select buildings depending on how heavy they are being hit, if you lose that location you are spawned by the other squads to help defend those locations. So if you are on the attacking side you want to try and make sure they are taken out all at once due to having to deal with alot more opposition when bases fall one by one.

sounds freakin awesome..

Exitspeed
12-16-2009, 11:02 AM
And this game has vehicles and shit, right?

That_Guy
12-16-2009, 11:09 AM
And this game has vehicles and shit, right?

WHAT HE SAID!!!!.. if its anywhere half as cool as it sounds.. it may comsume my life... i love battlefield on ps3 cause of the tanks and what not.. its its squad based with vehicles... holy cow.. it could be "epic"

Myles
12-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes, you can drive tanks and such.

MoCkiN U
12-16-2009, 12:21 PM
I wonder if the PS3 servers can handle the traffic. Just playing on my friends system and COD it boots us from matches each day on the small scale.

On the other hand looking at the video makes me want to buy a PS3. Thats intense!! Plus, I do miss my ol Socom

Nix
12-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I wonder if the PS3 servers can handle the traffic. Just playing on my friends system and COD it boots us from matches each day on the small scale.

On the other hand looking at the video makes me want to buy a PS3. Thats intense!! Plus, I do miss my ol Socom

They actually just sent out the new patch for Socom last week. I haven't played Socom in a while. Im just tired of them being so fucking slow to fix all the issues that I have lost intrest in it all togther. I though Zipper was the problem all along, well, I was wrong.

From my understanding for MAG they are going to have servers that are soley based on taking care of the demand of this game. Now I don't know if that is true, but I would assume so seeing as its so many damn people in one server at a time with everyhting going on.

I also played the BETA and there was NO lag at all. For the most part I enjoyed it, I already have it reserved @ Gamestop. :thumbsup

Exitspeed
12-16-2009, 01:22 PM
From their blog.

MAG supports an ambitious 256 players at once. How early in development did you know you could actually succeed with it?

Nate Klee: Early in the project, I was working on the networking to look for a way to make this work. With 256 players — which are eight times more than our previous and already-large-numbered PS2 games — that’s a daunting task. To figure it out, I spent time with research and development working in 2D applications and various technologies to come up with an experience that would work well. That was always the priority, and we had the networking puzzle solved well before we even had a game up and running, which is how we knew we’d be able to pull it off.

Mike Nicolino: It’s really “hat’s off” to Nate, who has been the driving force behind us being able to do this. I think it may come as a surprise to some people to know that we had the network tech working pretty early — much earlier than people suspect.

Nate Klee: Yeah, we had the tech up and running for quite awhile before we started development on the game itself. We didn’t have soldiers with guns then, they were just beach balls, but it worked.

This is how MAG multiplayer was proven to work more than three years ago.

Working MAG multiplayer started right here. Which one's SVER?

Mike Nicolino: Beach balls are a long way’s away from a game right? But like Nate said, it was working before the game was made. It actually made me chuckle a little bit when MAG was first announced last year [July 2008] and people were posting on forums asking, “How is Zipper going to get 256 players to work?” Knowing that we had already solved the networking problem early on, it was a pretty good feeling to have.

Nate Klee: After we had the technology working, the next task was transforming these beach balls into people and spending a lot of time on game performance. That’s why MAG only runs on the PS3 by the way – because the system’s SPUs are so powerful that they give us the technical capability to simultaneously run 256 players in the way we do.

Myles
12-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Correct, Mag is going to be on dedicated servers.

Crawlin
12-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Can't wait. How's you get the beta Myles? did you preorder the game and get the code? or is it on PS3 network? if something secret, just text me, haha

PS - where the hell is the GT5 demo Ben was talking about? I can't find that on the playstation network demo list either, haha

Myles
12-16-2009, 06:22 PM
hmm dunno about the GT5 one, but a friend of my brothers brought it over awhile ago. You used to be able to get it from Gamestop aparantly. The beta is over anyways.

British_Ben
12-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Can't wait. How's you get the beta Myles? did you preorder the game and get the code? or is it on PS3 network? if something secret, just text me, haha

PS - where the hell is the GT5 demo Ben was talking about? I can't find that on the playstation network demo list either, haha

I'll look tonight. I think it's called Gran Turismo HD concept. It should be under the demos, unless they took it down because Prologue came out.

I'm excited about MAG too. Imagine what that a good fire fight will sound like in real time, especially with a decent surround sound setup.

Mudd Runner
12-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Chris I have prologue you can borrow it if you want I dont play the damn thing anyway.

GTSLOW
12-17-2009, 08:22 PM
This looks awesome!!! I take it PS3 exclusive?

Nix
12-17-2009, 08:36 PM
This looks awesome!!! I take it PS3 exclusive?

you are correct sir.

That_Guy
12-17-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll look tonight. I think it's called Gran Turismo HD concept. It should be under the demos, unless they took it down because Prologue came out.

I'm excited about MAG too. Imagine what that a good fire fight will sound like in real time, especially with a decent surround sound setup.

imagine if we get a bcm squad together... all with blutooth... epic fun in the making..

T-Bag
12-17-2009, 10:58 PM
OOO this looks like it has promise of being a successor to the Battlefield series. I've been waiting for a good BF style game since BF2... I'll definetly be in

That_Guy
12-18-2009, 01:07 AM
OOO this looks like it has promise of being a successor to the Battlefield series. I've been waiting for a good BF style game since BF2... I'll definetly be in

battlefield bad company is awesome as is battlefield 1943 "downloadable in the ps store" and now i hear they are coming out iwth a battlefield bad company 2.. omg.. overload.

Myles
12-18-2009, 09:04 AM
I hate the battlefield series. Just can't get into them. BC was not bad, but the others. meh.

That_Guy
12-20-2009, 01:33 AM
I hate the battlefield series. Just can't get into them. BC was not bad, but the others. meh.

im really a big fan of vegas 2 thats a great game.. i really like games that have an objective. never was a team death match guy.

Myles
12-20-2009, 02:55 AM
I HATED Vegas 2, just a fucking rehash of vegas 1.

I was born and raised on doom and quake when it comes to FPS games. Always will and always have been the 1 man army type. Throw team based action in and a objective and I might have the most deaths, but I usually always have the most kills as well.

Myles
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
http://blog.mag.com/blog/2009/12/mag-goes-gold-plus-open-beta-announced/

Myles
12-22-2009, 09:51 PM
If you are still on the fence of getting a PS3, you better go fucking get one right fucking now.

Crawlin
12-23-2009, 07:46 AM
I liked the Vegas2 storyline and was a bit fun to play, but since like Myles stated, it was so close to 1 it got boring. Kind of like how COD4MW2 bored me so soon. I had SO much fun playing Vegas 1 online with the clan I played with(not the SSU clan, different one). But the levels had too many areas to lock the other team down at their spawn point.

Crawlin
12-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks for that link Myles, just did the download. Now just gotta wait a week or two before playing, haha

Now we just have to pick the side we want to be on...

here's some recruitement info, haha

http://vimeo.com/8208089

just click the different videos on the right

That_Guy
12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
dowloading the mag beta right f'ing now... im so pumped

Myles
12-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Remember, the new beta opens up the 5th, and closes the 10th.

hotshift13
12-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Im a huge follower of the COD series, heard good things about the battlefield series. The only problem for me is I play FPS on a PC. This game looks like it will be epic. Myles, do you think buying a PS3 just for this game is worth it?

Myles
12-25-2009, 01:19 AM
I played the beta 2 weeks before I bought a PS3. I liked it alot, it wasn't my ONLY motive, but it was a large contributing factor.

Also, I live and die by FPS games on the computer. No game has ever matched what the PC can do. The form of control is that much better, but this game is worth struggling the shitty console controls.

Crawlin
12-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Myles, can't you buy the wireless keyboard and make that the controller?

British_Ben
12-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Myles, can't you buy the wireless keyboard and make that the controller?

That doesn't quite work. The only game that actually supported that was Unreal Tournament 3. There was a company that made a mouse/keyboard setup which directly replaced the controller though, I used it once and it was garbage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879284005

The reviews tell it all.

Crawlin
12-25-2009, 07:20 PM
That sucks.

PureSound15
12-25-2009, 07:38 PM
This game might make me buy PS3

That_Guy
12-25-2009, 10:37 PM
This game might make me buy PS3

if the built in bluray player doesn't help you make your mind up i dont know what will.

PureSound15
12-25-2009, 11:38 PM
if the built in bluray player doesn't help you make your mind up i dont know what will.

I already have a bluray player :(

hotshift13
12-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Well got a PS3 for christmas and im downloading MAG well see how good it is. only problem I have is learining how to play FPS on a console, tryed it a couple times and I hated it, now I guess Ill have to learn...

Crawlin
12-26-2009, 11:20 PM
again, you can't play the game until 1/5/10

just jump starting the whole process since it takes so long to download all the info.

That_Guy
12-27-2009, 10:01 AM
I already have a bluray player :(

you are the man that has everything:D

I have a 360 and a ps3 to be honest with you I like the 360 controll better but the ps3 gets way more use. Infact i dont think ive played my xbox in 2 months. With the netflixs disc that I got for free it made the ps3 just take over the living room.

the more you play around with both of them you see there flaws and perks.

Nix
12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
again, you can't play the game until 1/5/10

just jump starting the whole process since it takes so long to download all the info.

I thought they started the BETA up again for a short amount of time. I've seen people playing it on my friends list and they told me to just go to the ps store and downlaod it? I already played the BETA and wasn't too much in to it. I would much rather prefer the final product. :)

Myles
12-27-2009, 11:02 AM
The Beta starts the 5th. This is the open public beta. No other beta is open anymore, so if your friends are in MAG they are most likely doing nothing in it.

T-Bag
12-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I HATED Vegas 2, just a fucking rehash of vegas 1.

I was born and raised on doom and quake when it comes to FPS games. Always will and always have been the 1 man army type. Throw team based action in and a objective and I might have the most deaths, but I usually always have the most kills as well.

Same here, I used to play the FUCK out of Quake 2 (mostly action quake 2 and jailbreak,ctf). I haven't found an FPS I enjoy nearly as much. So fast paced and I was actually good at them, unlike these console FPS'.

Myles
12-27-2009, 12:18 PM
honesty, quake 1 and the original UT are my absolute favs. I could play them over and over again.

What I do to compensate for the sluggish controls is up the sensitivity to damn near max on the controller. Doesn't work for everyone but it allows you to react alot quicker.

Crawlin
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM
yeah taht is something to experience. having to switch controllers with Myles and having his sensitivity MAXED out like the character is on a SPEED/Cocaine binge, haha

Myles
12-27-2009, 12:32 PM
That and I play with the look inverted. I have no idea why I have to play on that setting. For some reason tho its natural.

Myles
01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Starts tonight fuckers. See you online.

PureSound15
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
if this game is everything that it's supposed to be - I'll buy a PS3

Josepy
01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Im going to play it on my brothers ps3.

That_Guy
01-04-2010, 09:10 PM
mag starts today according to ps3 forums. im going to hop on in a few min

sn nramlow2006

Myles
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
MAG = awesome. Play the fuck out of it last night.

Had some issues with the servers being a little overloaded, but a public beta like this is meant to stress test the fuck out of it.

Crawlin
01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
was alot of fun to be playing with everyone. I think if it steps up a couple things, it should be pretty good.

3 shots with a sniper rifle is rediculous. I think it's gonna suck because even though this is supposed to be more "tactical" based, no one has mic's anyways, so it's hard to communicate.

I really hope we get a chance to rank up and see if the other game levels will be available. I'll be on around 3pm tonight when I get back from class

CarrotTop
01-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds badass but needs to be on PC :D

Mudd Runner
01-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Sounds badass but needs to be on PC :D

Go buy a PS3.:thumbsup

That_Guy
01-05-2010, 04:33 PM
had a great time playing with everybody! i ranked up to level 10 last night. i plan on playing tonight

Cryptic
01-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I couldnt stay connected today.

That_Guy
01-05-2010, 10:18 PM
same here i was trying to hop in rooms with you guys and it kept giving error codes.

regardless ill be on a little bit later.

Myles
01-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Had no issues connecting, played domination, holy fuck insane.

Mudd Runner
01-06-2010, 06:25 AM
I are teh suck at this game.:chair:

Crawlin
01-06-2010, 08:11 AM
got to the ponit of being squad leader, which is fine up until no one knows how to fix shit, otherwise it's pointless and you can't drop air strikes/bombs or anything.

this game to me is nothing more than counterstrike in a larger scale on PS3 instead of PC.

and my connection issues I hope are on teh beta. didn't have this much trouble with COD (not in regards to connecting TO the game, talking about it taking a full clip to kill someone when they only take a couple hits)

Myles
01-06-2010, 08:22 AM
I don't know why you have problem killing guys fast. I have noticed that there are hit registry issues and the game gets a little glitchy, but when its running "normal" I can drop a guy fast.

You have to remember this is a Beta, nothing is meant to run smooth, its meant to stress shit out so they can fix shit. Do NOT compare this game to anything until the retail comes out.

That_Guy
01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
i have a feeling the store release will be awesome.

T-Bag
01-23-2010, 08:15 PM
What PMC are ya'll joinin? fucking Tuesday bitches!

That_Guy
01-24-2010, 09:05 AM
ravin

Crawlin
01-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Probably Valor or Sevr(or however you spell it)

I'd probably do Sevr since their maps seem to be the best ones to play

Myles
01-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Sver is the one I will be jumping to.

T-Bag
01-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Hmm i'll probably go sver then, get some dudes from work to go that route too.