PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Mile info

jbiscuit
12-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Wanted to create a thread that parallels the GLD thread to discuss the ridiculousness the state of WI has become.

Post links, photos, websites etc that discuss the topic.

I had thought the Giuffres had come to an agreement to be track promoters but it seems like Sue Crane of the Park Board craftily changed the contract imposing a "slap in the face" deadline to secure a major NASCAR race in 2 months.

http://savethemile.com

TransAm12sec
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Time to get SEMA members apart of the WI government.

Holeshot
12-16-2009, 01:54 PM
I really think its more that because NASCAR can't make enough from the mile. Seating is not nearly enough and in order to really do it The entire section of land from 76th west and from the RR track south to Greenfield Ave to accommodate seating and parking for a venue that size. Not to mention the noise issue from the cry babies that live in the area.

Id love to see Nascar come here but that clearly died when Chicago Land Speedway was built in Joliet

SSDude
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
No national racing at Mile in 2010
It's officially fu(ked now!

No national racing at Mile in 2010
By Don Walker of the Journal Sentinel
Dec. 16, 2009 4:41 p.m.

The Milwaukee Mile, the oldest continually operating motor speedway in the country, won't be hosting a national race in 2010.

That was the word late Wednesday from Wisconsin State Fair Park officials, who said there would be no NASCAR or Indy Racing League racing next year at the famed Mile.

"I'm sorry for this," was the message Susan Crane, chairwoman of the State Fair Park Board, said she wanted to tell race fans. "We tried to do everything we could to secure racing. But we're not giving up."

The announcement is a blow to motorsports fans in the region and a blow to community pride. Both Crane and Craig Barkelar, the fair's interim executive director, said they hoped to bring national racing back to the Mile in 2011.

Crane and Barkelar said that, after Wisconsin Motorsports, the race promoter that staged races last summer, went out of business, they tried to negotiate with four different promoters.

One of those was Historic Mile LLC, led by Tony Machi and Jim Beaudoin, two Milwaukee businessmen. A second was a group led by Frank and Dominic Giuffre, brothers and Milwaukee businessmen. A third was a group led by Scott Quick, a racing entrepreneur in the Twin Cities. And a fourth, unidentified group, was a national consortium that Barkelar and Crane said had been referred to them by NASCAR.

Of the four promoters in the mix, three of them were unable to secure a NASCAR contract, Barkelar and Crane said. The fourth and latest group to begin talks, met with State Fair officials in West Allis last weekend, but ultimately decided not to move ahead.

In a statement and interview, Barkelar and Crane said the fourth group didn't move ahead because the margin of profitability was too thin.

"Any possibility for a profitable operation would be eliminated if the promoter accepted liability for future track improvements," the statement said.

Barkelar and Crane said the fair would be able to fund the estimated $1.5 million a year in debt service for the grandstand despite the loss of the national races.

Both said the current economy was not amenable to a successful race season next year. "The current economic state including a decline in sports and entertainment sponsorship fees, less broadcasting revenue, decreasing ticket sales and increasing costs all combined to make operations in 2010 impossible for any promoter," the statement said.

State Fair officials said they hoped to generate some revenue next year with car clubs, driving schools and some tire and car testing. There is also the hope of staging some regional races next year.

In its statement, State Fair officials alluded that one of the potential promoters "had no interest in contracting with NASCAR in 2010 and the membership of that group was different than what was publicly stated." Barkelar and Crane did not say which group that was, but sources say the reference was to the Giuffre brothers.

When the Giufres pulled out, Frank Giuffre released to the media a blistering critique of the way State Fair and Crane handled negotiations. Crane said Wednesday that she felt State Fair acted responsibly and fairly with all potential promoters.

NASCAR had scheduled two races for next June: the Nationwide Series and the Camping World Truck series. NASCAR now is backing away, though the race body has not yet made that official.

JBs92Lude
12-16-2009, 10:22 PM
I really think its more that because NASCAR can't make enough from the mile. Seating is not nearly enough and in order to really do it The entire section of land from 76th west and from the RR track south to Greenfield Ave to accommodate seating and parking for a venue that size. Not to mention the noise issue from the cry babies that live in the area.

Id love to see Nascar come here but that clearly died when Chicago Land Speedway was built in Joliet

I live about 8 blocks from the mile and thoroughly enjoyed waking up saturday morning to the sound of them practicing. If people don't like the sound, then they shouldn't have moved so close by.

jbiscuit
12-17-2009, 07:37 AM
really sad that the track will be no more. They might entertain options with club days and tire testing but there is little to no money in that. Which ultimately means the track will be done after 2010 I would guess. How stupid. This was handled SO poorly. The Giuffre Brothers were ready to go with John Menard in their back pocket. Endless lines of credit available for promotions, etc and Sue Crane pushed them away. They should put a tombstone next to the track that says:

Est. 1903.
Died 2010
Cause: Sue Crane.

Moparjim
12-17-2009, 09:45 AM
So my take on this is that the state basically held a gun to the interested partie's heads and tried to hold them up the massive costs of the work already done there, which I beleive they are "making payments" on, plus the cost of "future improvements". I'm guessing this was millions and millions of vague obligations that the promoting groups had to sign their name on.

So, they basically made it financially unviable for anyone to take it over, so they would rather have the track sit there unused, with NO possibility of making any money or bringing any money to town???? Aside from club races and testing lol which will bring in SQUAT.

SSLEVO
12-17-2009, 11:21 AM
That sucks, i don't give a shit about NASCAR. But what the hell happened to the IRL? I missed it this year but wanted to go next summer!

jbiscuit
12-17-2009, 11:35 AM
IRL didn't get paid so they pulled out. Simple as that. Mopar Jim you are correct. Make any future investor/promoter responsible for their financial obligations as well as impose ridiculous deadlines for securing major racing at the track or no deal...some of which deadlines were imposed without warning or explanation (see Giuffre email sent to Sue Crane in which their called her a country bumpkin and lashed out on her business negotiation ethics)

-stew-
12-17-2009, 11:51 AM
doyle.

Rocket Power
12-17-2009, 12:33 PM
I haven't been to the track for a race since I was a kid. But the noise never botherd me, although I live like 14 or so blocks away, and my mom lives a lot closer and she's never said anything to me about it negatively.
Sad to see it go, I heard this morning that there'd be no racing and maybe it would be back in '11 (yeah right)

Al
12-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Will there be SCCA and MCSCC events held there this year?

SSLEVO
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Will there be SCCA and MCSCC events held there this year?

SURE! According to them thats what's going to keep it up and running:stare

Edit: Note the sarcasm, lol

xwing
12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
State Fair Park Board, probably NONE of them know what a "Farm" IS much less what a "State Fair" in a midwest farming/dairy/working state is supposed to be about...
They have PURPOSELY poisoned that situation from the get-go to get rid of real racing at the Wisconsin State Fair Park.

Maybe if they had Folk Singer Kumbaya Sing-Alongs (oops no, too religious)...
Fake Global Warming Conferences on How to Run Everyone Else's Life And Turn The USA Communist, they would support THAT.

I have nothing but CONTEMPT for EVERY member of that board, and anyone having anything to do with the destruction of State Fair Park Racing.

At least thanks go to the Giuffres, Menard, and that group for TRYING-- in the face of Fair Park Board IDIOTS.
Doesn't the mind wander as to what that board deserves for crapping all over us...

deuceWI
12-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Club events aren't going to make that place a dime, although I would love to go take the car there to play on a weekend or two this summer.

Moparjim
12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
None of the club or smaller events will come even close to covering the costs. I can't recall the specifics but I have read them and was shocked. They are already on the hook for like hundreds of thousands or even millions per year of payments to pay off the previously done grandstand upgrades alone, not to mention regular maintanance and future upgrades...

They basically need the major races to come even close to supporting those costs but apparently the state would rather eat it (which means I assume that our tax dollars will pay for it) then have given someone a fair chance.

So, our tax dollars are going to pay for empty stands and maintenance and upgrade of a track that runs a few club events a season with like 5% utilization of the facility...

SMART!

jbiscuit
12-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Anyone catch the Frank Giuffre and Sue Crane segment on AM620 Wednesday night and Thursday? Sue called in and they let her tell her side of the story I guess. I heard Frank's side...the Giuffres hold her mostly responsible. They even said they had Menard on board with the plan to promote the track and questioned her business sense. Pretty good stuff!

Holeshot
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyone catch the Frank Giuffre and Sue Crane segment on AM620 Wednesday night and Thursday? Sue called in and they let her tell her side of the story I guess. I heard Frank's side...the Giuffres hold her mostly responsible. They even said they had Menard on board with the plan to promote the track and questioned her business sense. Pretty good stuff!

That must of been a good listen. Old man Menard can afford it all day long but yeah if Hes questioning her business practices it must really be fucked up.

lordairgtar
12-18-2009, 07:42 PM
I told that woman to resign her position. I never got an answer.

JOHN 86GT
12-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Rip out the grandstands and move them to GLD. :thumbsup

Karps TA
12-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Nascar Nationwide series is instead coming to Road America next year. That I would actually go watch. Watching cars drive around in a 1 mile circle is just not that interesting.

jbiscuit
12-21-2009, 02:02 PM
^ same here! I'm thinking this sounds like drunken fun!

DirtyMax
12-21-2009, 05:55 PM
I think they should go back to its roots. Cover the sum'bish with dirt and attract AMA, WoO, UMP, etc.

And screw Menards. They are the ones who brainwashed Franklin into pressuring the owner of Hales Corners to sell it so they could build another Menards. I refuse to shop there for this reason alone.

Karps TA
12-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Yeah I was pissed at Menards too, until the place opened up. Now I'm there every weekend, and I went to the track maybe once every 5 years. So personally for me it was a win.

Yooformula
12-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Yeah I was pissed at Menards too, until the place opened up. Now I'm there every weekend, and I went to the track maybe once every 5 years. So personally for me it was a win.

werent they also trying to build some condos or homes on the site? last time I drove by they got almost nothing done besides a model and some land demo done.

Car Guy
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Watching cars drive around in a 1 mile circle is just not that interesting.

For some reason many people find it mesmerizing.....:alcoholic

Reverend Cooper
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
way to go Doyle,close it down that will help them get more tax money for our state that is desperately hurting for money what a crock of shit

wrath
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Can safely say goodbye to IRL and NASCAR at the Mile forever now.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/autoracing/81815137.html

:loser

DirtyMax
01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Nascar would have survives with or without the $2M but what about all the local small business owners that douchebag fuct over...