PDA

View Full Version : GLD / Township of Paris meeting video

Goat Roper
12-15-2009, 11:01 PM
The full 1 hour and change video was 4.5gb but I melted it down to a WMV file of around 123mb. This leaves the charts legible. Camera sat on my leg since they wouldn't even let me audio record the meeting, I figured video would never fly. Was pretty obvious though no one said anything.

There is a break of a few seconds where the cam lost communication with the battery, nothing missed though.

Aside from the slides at the beginning really not much to watch, just to listen to.

Right click and save-as or just click to buffer it.

http://www.didiblink.com/miscvideo/gldvsparis.wmv

lordairgtar
12-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Thanks for posting this, but geez that guy in the beginning was hard to listen to um um um er um um.

flyin_blue_egg
12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
so what happened...to lazy to watch the video

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-16-2009, 06:14 AM
I did not watch the video or go to the meeting but read that Paris had "an expert studying the noise and light pollution" and I can tell you if you pay an expert they almost always give you the answer you want to hear.

I have driven all those backroads and have yet to determine who is complaining but obviosly some are and in most cases the town will be able to eventually shut this down.
I'm sure court and appeals are all in their future.
My aunt lives up the road and she doesnt mind the noise.

Good luck to em, NIMBY's everywhere.

jbiscuit
12-16-2009, 07:40 AM
I too am hoping for the best here but its never good...someone in the other thread mentioned tax dollars and that probably exactly what this will boil down to. They can make more money off bulldozing GLD and sticking in a bunch of ranch homes and collecting the property taxes off that versus the track. Its really sad.

WI went from being a good state to live in that had a lot of car community pride and activities but with the classic car registration ban, the threat of losing The Mile and now GLD, this state sucks. Might be time to start looking for a warmer state that appreciates the hobby to call home.

juicedimpss
12-16-2009, 08:21 AM
could the "sound expert" say "UH....UMMMM" a few more times?
lol
great speaking abilities homo.

Karps TA
12-16-2009, 08:33 AM
this sort of thing is happening all over the country. Smaller tracks of all kind are getting shutdown everywhere due to urban sprawl. People get fed up with the crime and bullshit of living in the city, so they move out into the country. But then they get pissed that there's not a Walgreens and Walmart on every corner, and they have to drive 20 minutes for their Grande Mocha. So they get elected to the local govt and build like crazy, and love seeing the money pour in. Next thing you know the country is now the city, and things start turning to shit. So people move further out into the country, starting the whole process over, except now way out in the middle of nowhere are race tracks that were built out there specifically not to bother people. But now that's a great spot to build a strip mall with a Subway and a Great Clips or $500K condos that only outsiders can afford.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-16-2009, 10:26 AM
The Pheasant Run landfill in Paris pays large sums of money to that town in order to operate their landfill.

Found the Fox 6 story from earlier this year.
www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090414-paris-budget-surplus,0,1957066.story
WITI-TV, KENOSHA COUNTY - While many Wisconsin counties and municipalities look for ways to deal with a budget shortfall, one Kenosha County town is swimming in revenue. So much in fact, at least one resident thinks the town board in Paris should give every single resident a rebate check.

Paris has generated millions of dollars from fees paid by Waste Management's landfill and revenue from a small power plant in the community.

With more than $21 million in the bank, Paris doesn't levy any town property taxes and even helps residents with their Kenosha County property taxes.

Wisconsin Towns Association executive director Richard Stadelman says he can't think of another town that has so much money in the bank.

lordairgtar
12-16-2009, 05:01 PM
The Pheasant Run landfill in Paris pays large sums of money to that town in order to operate their landfill.

Found the Fox 6 story from earlier this year.
www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090414-paris-budget-surplus,0,1957066.story (http://www.fox6now.com/news/witi-090414-paris-budget-surplus,0,1957066.story)
WITI-TV, KENOSHA COUNTY - While many Wisconsin counties and municipalities look for ways to deal with a budget shortfall, one Kenosha County town is swimming in revenue. So much in fact, at least one resident thinks the town board in Paris should give every single resident a rebate check.

Paris has generated millions of dollars from fees paid by Waste Management's landfill and revenue from a small power plant in the community.

With more than $21 million in the bank, Paris doesn't levy any town property taxes and even helps residents with their Kenosha County property taxes.

Wisconsin Towns Association executive director Richard Stadelman says he can't think of another town that has so much money in the bank.

Could this be connected? Some developer trying to get that land for a housing tract? Could be!:fire

jbiscuit
12-16-2009, 06:38 PM
interesting to say the least. Can't think of another town with so much money in the bank? That would suggest that they wouldn't want to shut down the track for financial reasons like 99.9% of any other town in this state. Hmm...

Nix
12-16-2009, 07:01 PM
It makes me wonder if there is anywhere else in the state near the metro Milwaukee area/ Waukesha County that could build and operate another track? I have no idea what all is involved but maybe someone or some peoople out there would be tempted to look in to it further?

Try Eagle, not much out there but land.

Am I wrong? I think it would be a good idea. :confused

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Heh I thought the Crystal Ridge or Hales Wales Corners guy was gonna build something out by junkyard Al Schill's in Franklin ?

MurphysLaw88GT
12-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Probably not. People are waaaayyyyy to lame about that kind of stuff now.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Could this be connected? Some developer trying to get that land for a housing tract? Could be!:fire

I'm no developer or real estate guy but I would say if GLD's land is just what it looks like it could be only maybe 2 real deep lots, not a whole lot of frontage there it seems like ?
Sounds like GLD has won this round which is good, as far as I'm concerned its kinda "historic" and a good draw for this little "zone" :thumbsup

I just looked at GLD on a mapquest aerial view and I do not know all what is their land but GLD has quite a bit of land, still unsure about possible development opportunities ? Probably just a few snivelers close by there.

Across the county another sniveler was opposing the smell of a dairy farm, that farmer was ambitious and was looking to double the size of his herd from 200 to 400 head and the farmer was met with resistance and possibly a lawsuit. The county and town board allowed his expansion and those neighbors are probably really wallowing now. :flipoff2:

79SS
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
It makes me wonder if there is anywhere else in the state near the metro Milwaukee area/ Waukesha County that could build and operate another track? I have no idea what all is involved but maybe someone or some peoople out there would be tempted to look in to it further?

Try Eagle, not much out there but land.

Am I wrong? I think it would be a good idea. :confused

While the thought of moving away from people may be a good idea, I feel like no matter where we would move to somebody is not going to like the fact that we are near them. Anyways, why should we move,we've been there 55 years. I am still at a loss that we aren't considered a historical landmark. Think about it, legends like Don Garletts, Arnie Beswick, and Shirley Muldowney just to name a few cut their teeth at GLD back in the hay days of drag racing. Also think about the fact that Broadway Bob Metzler, Randy Henning, and Dominc Blasco have poured their heart and soul into this facility. It would also cost millions, if not tens of millions to build a new racing facility, and in in this economy I can't see anyone putting up that kind of money and starting from scratch again. I guess it's like the saying goes, you can't please everybody. I just hope that this isn't the beginning of the end for GLD, I personally have many memories growing up there as I'm sure many others do and I would certainly hate to see it all go away. Just my 2 cent and I hope I haven't offended anyone because that isn't my intention.

Goat Roper
12-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Holy crap, 32gb worth of bandwidth out of that site today alone just for this file

SSLEVO
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
That was kind of a waste of an hour. That sound guy was the worst excuse for a consultant i've ever seen. He had nothing prepared, was a horrible public speaker, his data was collected from "areas that were easy to get to" because he didn't want to take 5 min and talk to the people that had a problem, the list goes on.

This is not targeted towards any one or the dragstrip, what a bunch of bullshit that was. It was a good thing i didn't go because i don't think i could have kept quiet for that long.

Thanks for taping it by the way!

Sprayaway Fox
12-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I think if you build next to something like that you have to live with it if you like it or not.

SSLEVO
12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Man i'm still worked up, i would love to look into this more and show up at the next meeting. I doubt the "expert" is going to be there again though. There is something satisfying about tearing their work to shreds with scientific data.

Russ Jerome
12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
Im with you SSLEVO, I would not have set a good example of a GLD fan if I had gone to the meeting.

Even if the track had not been there for 50+ years and all the neigbors had just built there cookie cutter homes next store, Google images says thats a hell of an ideal location to house a dragstrip.

Whenever I hear about somebody bitchin about an airport and its noise thats been there for years I want to walk up and kick them squarly in the nutz.

lordairgtar
12-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm no developer or real estate guy but I would say if GLD's land is just what it looks like it could be only maybe 2 real deep lots, not a whole lot of frontage there it seems like ?

Of course it's just a narrow strip of land, but the land around it is what I was thinking about. If you are some guy looking to buy a house in the country, I am sure you don't want to be neighbors with a motorsport facility.

SSScottSS
12-17-2009, 01:28 AM
In my opinion it's like living by a lake, you're going to have to listen to boats and jet ski's in the summer. I just part of the game. If you move near a dragstrip you're going to listen to loud cars in the summer. This happens to alot of people by lakes, airports, factories, even if you live in the country next to a farmers field.

Crawlin
12-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Scott, that would actually be an interesting point to bring up in a meeting. A funny one too...

"hello town of pewaukee. I'd like to make a complaint about how much noise is produced on Pewaukee Lake. Here are my studies as to how loud it is by my house which is ON the lake. I'd like boating restrictions to during the week 9-5 and i'll sacrifice the weekend for noon-1pm both days. maybe 10am on sunday since i'm at church and can't hear it"

jbiscuit
12-17-2009, 07:41 AM
^ funny but thats what this state is coming too! Anyone that wants to bitch gets a meeting and potential ordinances written in their name for their efforts! I can hear I94 near my house on certain days so I would like the highway moved 50 yards to the north. Who do I have to call to get this going?

BR3W CITY
12-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Actually....I think building a house near GLD would be kickass.....that would be prime real estate for a car guy. Imagine the listing "Just a 2 minute walk from the Dragstrip".

You'd never need to get towed home from the strip again if your shit broke.

SSLEVO
12-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Scott, that would actually be an interesting point to bring up in a meeting. A funny one too...

"hello town of pewaukee. I'd like to make a complaint about how much noise is produced on Pewaukee Lake. Here are my studies as to how loud it is by my house which is ON the lake. I'd like boating restrictions to during the week 9-5 and i'll sacrifice the weekend for noon-1pm both days. maybe 10am on sunday since i'm at church and can't hear it"

Haha, you need to collect data from random trees around the lake and then on a swim platform in the middle of the lake to get "the worst case."

Just in case you were 20' up on your roof in direct sight of the track, we wouldn't want you bothered in that situation. Oh wait, thats how we measured the data, idiots.

I like how the town guy said its not like he had a lift truck and put it at the top of the pole. And then the guy says, actually, i had a pretty tall ladder, LOL

Voice of Reason
12-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Hello all. I am a nOOb here, but some of you may know me as a moderatpr from Chitown. I'm also one of the guys who runs RSD.

I was at this meeting, and the short version is this: Bonestroo was hired to conduct the tests and present their findings, as well as assist with the drafting of a proposed sound & light ordinance for the Town of Paris. The gentleman from Bonestroo was armed with data, and very little else IMHO. His speaking abilities were laughable (this is coming from a guy who has routinely announced to live crowds numbering in the thousands over the last decade, mind you) and he showed very little confidence in his presentation. It was very apparent that he knew that his findings would not please his clients, so I believe he did the best he could to be vague where it was to his advantage.

While we all left after the special meeting, the Town Hall meeting was held that night as well, and I have it on good authority that Paris intends to move forward with this, even though the data revealed no major sound levels--did I mention they did these "tests" during Labor & Memorial Day weekends?? "Coincidence", they explained....riiiight.

The reality is that the Town is very well financed (their "General Fund" has $23,872,424.07 in it as of 11-17-09, and their 2009 total revenues were $2,269,637.02--figure THAT out), and they intend to make it very difficult for GLD to continue to operate...maybe even operate at all.

As most of you know, Deneen Smith from the Kenosha News was on hand and wrote an article about this meeting and its less-than-sensational findings. If we are to help GLD in their battle with this little townette (too small to be a town, LOL) then we need to spread the work as much as possible, in any way that we can. It is time to pull out all the stops, because it is apparent that Paris is quietly doing the same...in our "off season" at that. Sneaky, sneaky!!

I'm hoping that we have little to worry about, but I'm acting as though we do. The next Town Hall meeting is January 15, 2010 The proposed ordinances will be presented at that meeting. I would encourage everyone to attend if they are able, but *please* act accordingly if you do. Outsiders are generally not allowed to speak at Town Hall meetings, so acting a fool could have some fairly shitty consequences.

Thanks, and please don't gang rape the nOOb...1BadBytch says you guys are pretty nice around here...

trent...:D

GTSLOW
12-17-2009, 11:53 PM
^ :stare lookin grim for GLD.

1BadBytch
12-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks, and please don't gang rape the nOOb...1BadBytch says you guys are pretty nice around here...

trent...:D

goodluck with that:rolf

Voice of Reason
12-17-2009, 11:56 PM
As long as you're first in line....

:D

SSLEVO
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
So what can we do about this? We show up at the meeting in large numbers, but can't say a thing? Maybe we should talk to some of the people from the town and get them on our side.

Voice of Reason
12-18-2009, 08:44 AM
The best weapon we have at this point is exposure--tell EVERYONE. I think a good angle is to question how a town with $2M in annual revenue has nearly $24M in the bank. Sounds very "Chicago" to me....

SSLEVO
12-18-2009, 09:00 AM
The best weapon we have at this point is exposure--tell EVERYONE. I think a good angle is to question how a town with $2M in annual revenue has nearly $24M in the bank. Sounds very "Chicago" to me....

Yeah that is pretty fishy sounding. I suppose they would notice if 500-1000 people showed up at their rinky dink town meeting. They would probably call in the SWAT team, lol.

Voice of Reason
12-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Right? They had an "officer" present, but the only thing that ginormous lady could put a hurtin' on is a buffet line.

1BadBytch
12-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Right? They had an "officer" present, but the only thing that ginormous lady could put a hurtin' on is a buffet line.

:rolf

Voice of Reason
12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
You were scared.

1BadBytch
12-18-2009, 10:13 AM
You were scared.

I never saw you jump up so fast when she walked by you!:rolf

Voice of Reason
12-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I had a donut in my jacket...made me nervous.

1BadBytch
12-18-2009, 10:39 AM
I had a donut in my jacket...made me nervous.

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

anyway, are you going to the next meeting then?

Voice of Reason
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep...

Goat Roper
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I am pretty sure they will catch a video camera next time. That video is getting around which makes it all worth it, everybody needs to hear that bullshit.

OxmanWI
12-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I didn't listen to the video, but found out on JSonline. What a bunch of crying bitches, the track is far-far the fuck away from the city and any major hoods. The track has been there for more than 50 years with history patched on! And there now seriously wanting to get rid of it? Fuck those people, GLD better put up a good fight.

LIZMO
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
In my opinion it's like living by a lake, you're going to have to listen to boats and jet ski's in the summer. I just part of the game. If you move near a dragstrip you're going to listen to loud cars in the summer. This happens to alot of people by lakes, airports, factories, even if you live in the country next to a farmers field.

Nick (flicktitty) brought up that same point to me on the way out there that night, too funny lol.

Scott, I know Nick Emailed Fox 6 and TMJ4 the day of the meeting letting them know about it, maybe you should email them the video and see if it will get any air time.

Daytonapacecar959
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I know i'll be going to the next meeting.