PDA

View Full Version : ALUMINUM WHEEL REPAIR - bring the shine back??

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2009, 08:58 AM
had a truck here at the dealership that had a scratch in one of the rims. 2008 f350 dually with polished aluminum rims. sales dept had the great idea to take a wheel off the back, spin it, and place it on the front. problem was the inside of the rim off the back was hideous. brake dust, dirt, just plain nasty. so the lot kid was given the task to clean it up. he used acid and a wire brush. got it cleaned, but now the finish looks like shit. real cloudy.

anyone know if that is fixable?? if so, any ideas where to go? thanks.

PureSound15
12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
The cloudy is from the brush - that should polish out with aluminum polish (chrome polish won't work nearly as well).

Powerball mini would work wonders

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2009, 09:21 AM
The cloudy is from the brush - that should polish out with aluminum polish (chrome polish won't work nearly as well).

Powerball mini would work wonders

i tried some regular aluminum polish and it didn't work for shit. will give it another shot with my powerball from home.

PureSound15
12-14-2009, 09:26 AM
i tried some regular aluminum polish and it didn't work for shit. will give it another shot with my powerball from home.

If the scratches are that deep - you might need to wet sand it first.

wrath
12-14-2009, 09:53 AM
If tardboy used acid, it's probably pitted. 600 grit then 1000 grit wetsanding followed by a couple hours with an air drill and a polishing wheel and Mother's Aluminum polish.

TransAm12sec
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
The aluminum is still going to be exposed to salt, it would be best to have them clear coated.

wrath
12-14-2009, 11:44 AM
The aluminum is still going to be exposed to salt, it would be best to have them clear coated.

If it sees city driving and it has the factory Ford pads it won't matter anyway -- before the next oil change the wheels will be black and the tires will be brown.

07ROUSHSTG3
12-14-2009, 11:55 AM

we grabbed another unit and it appears that ford doesn't coat or polish the insides of the rims??

so, is it even possible to get the inside of the rim to shine like the outside?

SSLEVO
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
If tardboy used acid, it's probably pitted. 600 grit then 1000 grit wetsanding followed by a couple hours with an air drill and a polishing wheel and Mother's Aluminum polish.

That should do it. It takes quite a bit of time to get a nice mirror finish, it would be pointless for ford to do that to the back of the wheel.

Yooformula
12-14-2009, 02:02 PM

X2 on these instructions but maybe try the 1000 grit first and make sure they are pitted and not just hazed really bad. I wouldnt screw around with any other polishes than mothers billet and a buffing wheel or polishing cone. tell monkey boy next time to clean the inside ring, a soft scouring pad with soap works best and its still able to be polished!