PDA

View Full Version : Go-Karts Around Milwaukee?

SSLEVO
12-12-2009, 11:03 PM
I've been around MN quite a bit and they have a couple cool go-karting places. Is there anything like these in the area?

http://www.prokartindoor.com/

http://www.stockholmkartingcenter.com/

I've been to prokart before and its pretty dam fun, the karts go something like 30-40, pricy though. I'm thinking of doing part of my bachelor party at the second place.

All of this got me thinking, my grandmother owns 7 acres of land in Pewaukee right off of 94 that is zoned commercial. I know the start up costs would be pretty high at first. From what i've seen there really isn't anything like this in the area, what do you guys think?

Would you drive 30-45 min to ride 40 mph karts around a .5 mile track? Pricing would probably be 15 for a 8-10 min ride. From what i could tell and what my friends tell me the prokart is always packed up in the cities.

Dr.Buick
12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
indoor stockey's fast track in west bend.fun time but not cheep

03CVLX
12-12-2009, 11:05 PM
The only thing remotely close to here that I can think of is the tracks in the dells, but I don't think they are anywhere near that fast. I would probably check it out if it was that close.

SSLEVO
12-12-2009, 11:16 PM
indoor stockey's fast track in west bend.fun time but not cheep

Yeah, most of the more "performance" karting places seem to charge about $15-$20 for a 8 min session. I went to prokart for a bachelor party and bought 3 sessions for about $50. I'll tell you what, i was sore the next day, lol.

Im sure it would take a couple million to open this place up, and if it's an outdoor only track that leaves you dead in the water 1/3 of the year.

Car Guy
12-13-2009, 12:19 AM
http://www.chicagoindoorracing.com/

You would lose your ass opening one around here.....

Todd Z
12-13-2009, 05:58 AM

I Agree on both. CIR is great but much more expensive. Not enough tourism and big business in south eastern Wi. to support any kind of quality track like CIR.

03Seville
12-13-2009, 10:26 AM
Stockys is prob closest and def fun but like dr. buick said,it is pricey

GRAMPS SS
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Stockys is prob closest and def fun but like dr. buick said,it is pricey

we all went there what...2 years in a row,,,not once did i think it was pricey...nor did i hear anyone from here comment on it. that it was pricey, or we wouldn't of went twice.....we went..we rode..coop got kicked out.....twice....bent up a cart on one of the times...we have fun...that's what's it's about,....pricey ...nahhhhhhhhhhh...fun...hell yeah...

-stew-
12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Shit, just go to Bonanza up on Fon Du Lac. They got bumper boats too!!!!

Todd Z
12-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Pricey depends on what one considers pricey. I did not think West Bend or CIR was pricey for the amount of fun and amount of time it takes. CIR for a kid in HS making minimum wage would be pricey.

y2kws6
12-14-2009, 12:45 AM
I did my thesis on the possibility of starting the business and it is very doable, but the start up cost is about $750 -$1 Mil. It also really depends on what and how you are planning on doing it.

I would start the process right now if I was not in the military and have to worry about being gone for months on end. I only have 4 years left and we will see what happens after that.

Dan

SSLEVO
12-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah i figured on something like that 500k to 1 mill, about 250k to do the track and then any buildings you need, the racing style karts... I'm invisioning something like the 2nd track i posted, more of an actual race track than a go kart track. Something like .5 mile long. I haven't been out the the land in years so i'm not sure what there is for elevation. I think it would be pretty badass to do a mini road america track layout. Probably couldn't use any of the naming though.

buttersgt350
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
ya there is nothing around here except the place in west bend. i always said if i win the lottery i would open up an indoor track, maybe 2 different tracks and speeds, as well as an arcade in it, maybe a concession stand too. but i have to play the lottery to win it.

SSLEVO
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I Agree on both. CIR is great but much more expensive. Not enough tourism and big business in south eastern Wi. to support any kind of quality track like CIR.

How many people are in the milwaukee area? About 1.5 million. And there are 1-2 tracks within 50 miles that i can see? How is there no market for this?

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in going to such a place but they seem to do well in the cities area and chicago.

I may have to check out the chicago track, their web site isn't so great. How long is the track down there? I'm seeing something like 15-16 second lap times, that doesn't sound so fun to me going around that tight of a loop.

I think at Pro kart in the cities it was a 1/4 mile course with the outdoor section opened up. That was fun but I would like to go larger than that, something around .3-.5 mile. Keeping it all outdoor would keep the cost down but you would loose 6 months a year.

I'm not saying i have the money laying around, just tring to figure out if it would be worth looking into.

SSLEVO
12-14-2009, 03:39 PM

That place is 2 hours from most of us, if you build it right some of their crowd could be drawn up here.

I don't see how you would loose people to chicago if there were an equal if not better facility down the road.

DirtyMax
12-14-2009, 03:57 PM
Shit, just go to Bonanza up on Fon Du Lac. They got bumper boats too!!!!

There's still a Bonanza open around here?!?!? :wooo

The one in Franklin closed when I was about 12.

Todd Z
12-14-2009, 04:38 PM
That place is 2 hours from most of us, if you build it right some of their crowd could be drawn up here.

I don't see how you would loose people to chicago if there were an equal if not better facility down the road.

Only one hour from downtown Milwaukee. Much more than one million for initial start up for CIR.

1.5 million people in south eastern Wisconsin yes. How much tourism, convention business and big business - very little. A good portion of CIR's business is convention and corporate. If you have never been there it is a very nice facility with meeting rooms, bar, game room, food and more.

Opening an outdoor track here is just a bad idea.

y2kws6
12-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Only one hour from downtown Milwaukee. Much more than one million for initial start up for CIR.

1.5 million people in south eastern Wisconsin yes. How much tourism, convention business and big business - very little. A good portion of CIR's business is convention and corporate. If you have never been there it is a very nice facility with meeting rooms, bar, game room, food and more.

Opening an outdoor track here is just a bad idea.

CIR was one of the few that would not talk to me for my paper. Many others would and have successfully grown with the same set up for around that $1 Mil. The plans that I have are similar to that of CIR but maybe not as extravagant. CIR is also located in the boon docks for the most part. If located closer to a freeway the possibilities are greater.

And I agree that having a track outdoors is useless in this state unless you are in the dells. I really think that they are useless there too.

Dan

jon_we4
12-16-2009, 02:40 PM
The plans that I have are similar to that of CIR but maybe not as extravagant. CIR is also located in the boon docks for the most part. If located closer to a freeway the possibilities are greater.

CIR in Addison is right off 355

CIR in Buffalo Grove just west of 94 and just east of 53

Both locations are pretty accessible. I went to the Addison location recently and was really impressed with it - it's much nicer than the Buffalo Grove location.