PDA

View Full Version : 1997 Mercury Cougar

03CVLX
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Hey guys,

I have a friend who has a 1997 Mercury Cougar with the 3.8 V6. She told me that a mechanic told her that her car needs Cats and all 4 O2 sensors. The check engine light is on.

Now here is the weird part. She took it for emissions today and it passed. I am beginning to question the diagnosis and plan on scanning it myself when I get by the car next time.

My question is this. If that mechanic was correct, is there any possible way it could still pass emissions and have that many problems, or should I be looking for another cause.

Car Guy
12-12-2009, 04:45 PM
My guess is a faulty CEL light and someone is trying to take her for a ride. There is no way it would pass if the light was truly on because of bad converters and O2s.....

OxmanWI
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Scan it and post the codes here, that mechanic is trying to make some money.

You can check out Tccoa and do a search on some threads if you want too.

http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

03CVLX
12-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok, I just scanned it and it has 2 codes popping up one says pending and the other is permanantly in the computer.

They both say its P1443 and it asked the brand of vehicle I was checking so It must be manufacturer specific. The description is Evaporative Emission System Control Valve(low/no Flow) I was thinking EGR valve is plugged up possibly. I will check TCCOA further. Thanks guys.

I definitely agree that someone is lying to her big time.

Car Guy
12-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I have no idea how it passed with that code in the system......:confused

03CVLX
12-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I have just been perusing google for ideas and they are saying its a purge canister back near the gas tank. Does this sound correct to you Justin??? TCCOA is my next stop.

FoxStang
12-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok, I just scanned it and it has 2 codes popping up one says pending and the other is permanantly in the computer.

They both say its P1443 and it asked the brand of vehicle I was checking so It must be manufacturer specific. The description is Evaporative Emission System Control Valve(low/no Flow) I was thinking EGR valve is plugged up possibly. I will check TCCOA further. Thanks guys.

I definitely agree that someone is lying to her big time.

If the car has a evap canister it could be a old hose cracked.

Car Guy
12-12-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, I have just been perusing google for ideas and they are saying its a purge canister back near the gas tank. Does this sound correct to you Justin??? TCCOA is my next stop.

It could be but there are many other things it could be too, hard to say without looking at it.....

OxmanWI
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
If the car has a evap canister it could be a old hose cracked.

Yup look for a small hose about the size of a 3/8? Should be on the left side (Passenger side) around the valve cover under the intake tube running down.

If you want I can start a thread over at Tccoa for you.

Note:

Yep, just remove the passenger side wheel, then the fender liner, and you'll see the evap canister just below the air filter location. It's mounted to a bracket by one screw. There are a couple lines going to it, one of which should have the canister purge solenoid on it. It should only take 20-30 minutes to swap out the evap canister, including the time for removing/replacing the wheel and fender liner.

Holeshot
12-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Anyone here have a portable smoke machine.

OxmanWI
12-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Get newspaper + matches and your set! A little off topic arn't we? :D

03CVLX
12-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Yeah Oxman If you can start a thread that would be cool. So the cracked hose is under the hood?? I figured it was in the back of the car near the tank. Shows how much I really know.. :rolf

Edit** So I did some research on Tccoa, and found some really good threads on the problem. However it appears everyone that has had it and the pictures all show 4.6 cars. I guess I would just need to know if its exactly the same setup on a 3.8 car or not.

OxmanWI
12-14-2009, 02:53 PM
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1268842#post1268842

03CVLX
12-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Oxman

MurphysLaw88GT
12-14-2009, 05:42 PM
When I worked at the test station, I would see a few cars with the light on pass every year. Especially Dodge Stratus or Cirruses or whatever the hell they are.

KidCougar
03-30-2011, 07:46 PM
my car passed with the 2 rear o2 sensors not even hooked up, no cats, and plenty of mods...passed with flying colors and the cel was on..