PDA

View Full Version : 1990 ranger transfer case problems

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I have a 1990 ranger with the 2.9 5 speed manual and the electronic transfer case. It's got two buttons to control it on the center of the dash above the radio. 1 button for 4 wheel drive, the other for 4 wheel low. I drove the truck around normally yesterday. My day started out in 4 wheel drive, but when I discovered the roads were clear and it wasnt necessary, I took it out of 4 wheel drive, then drove it around normally. Put about 20-30 miles on it yesterday. I parked it in my driveway where it sat overnight. Today, I get out there, start it up to move it, and it wont move. It starts and runs just fine, but the drivetrain wont move. The truck can be rocked back and forth as if it were an automatic and in park. Has about an inch forward and an inch backwards it can roll, then it locks up. The transfer case WON'T shift. I got it to shift into 4x4 once, but the truck still wouldn't move. I can't push it, nor will the truck move under its own power (trying to drive it). It still hits that "lock". WTF :confused

I'm not a Ford person, and don't know too much about these 4x4 systems or why its doing what its doing, but how the fuck can it drive normally yesterday, then today not budge? When the truck was parked, everything was running business as usual. Can anyone help on this one?

DirtyMax
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM
If it was out of 4WD when you parked it, the t-case should not be bound up.

As stupid as it sounds, did the drive shaft(s) or some other part of the exposed drivetrain maybe just freeze up rock solid from being wet and then parked? Did you try breaking it loose in 1 or R? That's my theory without looking at it....

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Yeah it was in 2wd when parked. I had driven out to Heiser Chevy on hwy 100 yesterday from Oak Creek, then down hwy 100 to Holz, and back home with ZERO problems. With the clutch in and the engine running, every gear in the trans goes in and out like butter, just as it always did.

I thought maybe a u-joint was frozen up too. I thought maybe it was rotating a little bit and when it hits that frozen point, it locks up. I was under the truck with a propane torch on a low heat on the u-joints for about 10-20 seconds on the front and rear ujoint. Rear ujoint seemed fine, the front (at the back of the t-case) definitely had some water on it, as it started dripping when the torch was applied to it. I also noticed ice was packed up in the skid plate surrounding the transfer case.

Still didn't let the truck move. The other thing I noticed is now the transfer case will not shift. I hear some clicking of relays behind my driver seat when I push the 4x4 button, however the light never goes on indicating it has engaged into 4x4.

Car Guy
12-10-2009, 03:19 PM
A large amount of solid imbedded ice would have to be there to stop the truck from moving.....

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
If that's the case then something is binding up in the transfer case. How would that happen just from it sitting overnight? I never saw a vehicle break before from sitting unused for less then 24 hours

0TransAm0
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
is it in the garage? if it is get a heater and turn it on and close the door.. if not your probably SOL.. id be willing to bet that its just ice build up on something...

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
New one by me I myself hate all electronic 4wd's. EFF switches and lights.

Maybe a transfer box full of water like mentioned ? The way that would go bad overnight is by freezing. Hard to believe that would ston 2 tons of steel.....

Damn Fords.

4eyedstang
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
i had a very similar problem.it was caused by one of my rear brake shoes exploding and jamming in the drum.but as far as not being able to shift the transfer case.i have know idea maybe a chunk of ice in the linkage :confused

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
There is no transfer case linkage it's all electronic.

Prince Valiant
12-10-2009, 05:11 PM
unbolt both driveshafts (shouldn't take too long) and see if you can move the car. My guess is that something may be fubared w/ the chain in the T-case (does it even have a chain in those?), or perhaps with the auto locking hubs at the front axle. If it moves, it's the T-case, if not, it's likely the front end (but try to jack up the front w/ the d/s unbolted, and rotate the wheels).

Another possibility is that something is wrong with the shifter linkage, and it's still in a gear, even in neutral...does it idle and rev freely in nuetral with the clutch engaged? It idles fine in neutral?

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Well thank you all for the tips. Turns out the right rear brake drum was frozen. We dragged the truck out of my driveway and down the street. We made it about 7 houses with my brother jumping up and down in the bed before it freed up. Then I drove it around with the brakes lightly applied to heat it up some. I'm just glad nothing needed to be replaced. Now I got a nice black line down my driveway and up the street lol

0TransAm0
12-10-2009, 06:44 PM
lmao.. damn neighbors probably thought you guys were crazy...

03CVLX
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Just do me a favor. If you do attempt to warm it up, don't do it like a call we received today. The guy took an old steel wheel filled it with Charcoal lit it and then pushed it under his car to use as a makeshift home-made engine block heater.......Yes, the car burned :rolf :rolf :rolf

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 09:23 PM
just do me a favor. If you do attempt to warm it up, don't do it like a call we received today. The guy took an old steel wheel filled it with charcoal lit it and then pushed it under his car to use as a makeshift home-made engine block heater.......yes, the car burned :rolf :rolf :rolf

fail