PDA

View Full Version : Kerosene Torpedo Heater Suggestions.....

Car Guy
12-09-2009, 09:58 PM
My father-in-law is looking for a kerosene torpedo heater to heat a typical 2-car garage. I'm not knowledgeable enough about them to give a suggestion but figured someone on here is. He wants something of quality that will give years of trouble free service.....

Any input is much appreciated...!!!

~Justin :thumbsup

SSDude
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I'd suggest a propane instead. Still need to ventilate a little for the carbon monoxide but you won't get the nasty kerosene exhaust fumes.

mf68chevelle
12-10-2009, 12:54 AM
I'd suggest a propane instead. Still need to ventilate a little for the carbon monoxide but you won't get the nasty kerosene exhaust fumes.

x2 kerosene stinks

letsrunem
12-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Diesel burns really clean, well after the initial startup.

84hurst
12-10-2009, 01:09 AM
I use a 125,000 btu Remington kerosene heater and I don't have any issues with fumes, as long as I leave the garage door partially open. It will run on kerosene, diesel, jet fuel and I think a couple other kinds of fuel as well. It works awesome. It will heat the 2.5 car garage up to prolly 55-60 in about 10-15 minutes at freezing. Its fairly new (within 5 yrs) so I've never had a problem with it.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-10-2009, 06:59 AM
I use a 60k Ready Heater Brand almost 10 and running without any work and a 40k Remington thats 2 years old and has begun effing up so not to happy about that. I might wager they are both made by the same manufactuer tho, I think Desa.

I use kerosene its harder to find but my local Mobil Jobber has it for $2.99 a gallon and it really does not stink to me, course I been using heaters like this all my life. Propane I think is fine but kerosene works better for us.

No diesel, that stinks. Turning it on and off is the most smell I've seen, let'em burn.....

juicedimpss
12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
propane is definately odor free compatred to a kerosene setup. I would go propane if i were in the market.

juicedimpss
12-10-2009, 12:14 PM
where is the cheapest place to get kerosene anyway?

British_Ben
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM

I have no idea, but they only place I've ever seen it for sale at a pump is at the Pilot gas station by the Ryan road exit of I-94.

GarBear021
12-10-2009, 12:28 PM
I have a 115K kerosene reddy heater that I picked up off of Craigslist for $70. It was only one year old when I got it and it works great. I only run diesel through it cuz kerosene is too expensive to buy at home depot and it is too hard to find at a gas station. I've used the propane ones and I would not go back to them. I think the kerosene heaters seem to work a lot faster.

WhatsADSM
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
FWIW the ventless propane ones are really the only ones safe to actually have in an enclosed area.

I have one and it works great the only downsides are, A) it costs a bit more than the torpedos, B) it is not "forced" air. There is a small fan but really most of the hot air raises and it heats up the area a slower than blowing the air around.

Windsors 03 Cobra
12-10-2009, 01:42 PM

AFAIK, Franksville Oil. $2.99 or maybe less since it is coming down some.
Last year was 3.99, Pilot use to sell it @ Hwy K & 94 but no longer does.

I saw 3 gallon jugs at the hardware store $18 some dollars and felt bad for anyone buying that crap. :punch:

We use to have a place downtown here that sold it but they have since moved, they also sold coal so I guess both kerosene and coal are not cash and carry very often anymore. :confused

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 02:31 PM
speedway on howell and college sells K-1 kerosene. But I still run diesel through my torpedo heater. Has a puff of fumes on start up, but otherwise, it works great. I run it for about 10minutes, and it warms up the garage to a decent enough temperature. When it cools down, I plug it in for another 10 minutes. Fumes are DEFINITELY NOT unbearable. I never really noticed them to be honest. If you stand directly in the path of the heat, you can smell it a little, but it was no big deal.

SSLEVO
12-10-2009, 02:40 PM
They can burn pretty clean but i would start it up outside. They smoke quite a bit until it's warmed up. I am a fan of propane though. It's a lot cleaner. Fleet farm usually has Kerosene if that one has a gas station.

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 02:43 PM
it only smokes for the first second on start up. After that, it always burns at the same level of cleanliness

84hurst
12-10-2009, 03:20 PM
The Speedway on 76th and Grange sells kerosene as well but I have no idea what the price is. I haven't bought any since last year.

MoCkiN U
12-10-2009, 04:24 PM
FWIW the ventless propane ones are really the only ones safe to actually have in an enclosed area.

I have one and it works great the only downsides are, A) it costs a bit more than the torpedos, B) it is not "forced" air. There is a small fan but really most of the hot air raises and it heats up the area a slower than blowing the air around.

I have a one car garage with no venting other than having the door open. I always wanted a heater in there but was afraid of carbon monoxide. You mean this heater can be used in a completely closed space?

84hurst
12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I have a one car garage with no venting other than having the door open. I always wanted a heater in there but was afraid of carbon monoxide. You mean this heater can be used in a completely closed space?

Provided the garage door is open slightly it shouldn't be a problem. I usually leave mine open about 6 in and used it for hours working in the garage and never felt light headed or anything.

WhatsADSM
12-10-2009, 11:04 PM

Yup.. They are inherently different than the kerosene units.

Completely closed... Like don't even need to crack the door. Ventless propane units are the only ones that I know that can do it because they literally are a 99.9% efficient burn.

Downside is primarily price, and again lack of "forced" fan. I have a 30k unit in my 2-car garage with 0 insulation and it is able to get about a 30 degree increase. In a single car or a better insulated garage it would do better.

Here is what mine looks like. I got the Reddy heater brand but there are a few others as well. They are typically about $200 to $300 for a decent 30k unit.

Car Guy
12-10-2009, 11:07 PM
I knew this thread would turn into a kerosene vs. propane debate, still looking for make/model suggestions on a kerosene torpedo heater.....:goof

88Nightmare
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
my reddy heater with 115k btu's heats my uninsulated 2.5 car garage very nicely

84hurst
12-11-2009, 12:07 AM
I knew this thread would turn into a kerosene vs. propane debate, still looking for make/model suggestions on a kerosene torpedo heater.....:goof

Kerosene ftw! No probs with mine and it works awesome. Btw, you prolly shoulda put a poll on this thread! :)

juicedimpss
12-11-2009, 08:33 AM
FWIW the station on howell and college has kerosene for 3.39/gal as of last night.