PDA

View Full Version : Brewers sign Wolf

Karps TA
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
According to JSonline. 3 year deal worth just under $30 mil. Option for a 4th.

So they got 1 pitcher so far. See if they can get some more.

wikked
12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
See if they can get some more.

Just signed LaTroy Hawkins :)

mrz28M6
12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
two old pitchers!!! great!!! overpaid for both of them imo

Karps TA
12-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Overpaid? maybe, I think that's just where the market is. When CC get's 30 mil, that's how the rest grade out.

PB86MCSS
12-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I think they are ok moves...I like Wolf, 3 years for an injury prone guy and a bit more than I would think he gets but not by much. The Brewers obviously are trying to make their moves right away, not waiting around but by doing that paying a little more too...if they wait surely there will be bargains in January or even February, IMO. Hawkins was real good last year but relievers can vary year to year so who knows what we will get, if he is anything like last season it's a nice move.

I hope they wait a little bit and try to get someone with upside but some risk like Harden or Duchscherer, not an innings eater Suppan/Looper type.

70challenger452
12-09-2009, 07:28 PM
In this market that's pretty much the best you can ask for, this Wolf deal is already way better than suppan, less years, less money and better pitching.

wikked
12-20-2009, 11:40 PM
I just read that Mike Cameron signed with the Red Sox a couple weeks ago, how did I miss this?
A good payroll offload, but he's better than the schlub we picked up from the Twins :/

DirtyMax
12-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Gord Ash was on the radio the other day insisting that the CF, SS, and C changes were all instant upgrades. I may give him 2/3 of those but I'm not so sure about this CF situation.

PB86MCSS
12-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Cameron was worth what he provided IMO, stellar D and a plus offensive player in CF. Low average and lotsa K's but a K is just another out for the most part. Gomez was terrible last year with the Twins, the keys to the 10' season will be Gomez, Parra and Weeks.

wikked
12-22-2009, 01:53 AM
I dunno why they got rid of Mike Rivera, Gregg Zaun is NOT an upgrade.
If Rivera was given the chance to play everyday, I could easily see him with 20+hr's/80rbi type numbers, he had lots of pop.

Most shocking move they did IMO.

DirtyMax
12-22-2009, 07:47 AM
If Rivera was given the chance to play everyday, I could easily see him with 20+hr's/80rbi type numbers, he had lots of pop.

Most shocking move they did IMO.

Amen to this,brother. I even thought he could be your everyday 1B in a pinch if Prince was ever dealt, left, got hurt, etc..

All the guy did was hit well (as good as or better than Kendall anyways) and played good defense every time he was asked.

wikked
12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Amen to this,brother. I even thought he could be your everyday 1B in a pinch if Prince was ever dealt, left, got hurt, etc..

All the guy did was hit well (as good as or better than Kendall anyways) and played good defense every time he was asked.

"On December 22, 2009, Rivera signed a minor league contract with the New York Yankees."

Well apparently the Yankees agree with us.

PB86MCSS
12-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Saw that today too...they believed he wasn't a regular every day guy. He has hit well in the past, I would of liked to see what he could do as a regular. Zaun is a lefty which they could use in the lineup and has been ok offensively. Not sure how each rate defensively. I trust Melvin's decisions though, only Suppan and Riske have been duds, IIRC.