PDA

View Full Version : Clutch/Alternator Problems 2000 Nissan Maxima

SlowStee
12-09-2009, 03:23 AM
2000 Nissan Maxima, 5-Speed, 90kish miles.

I recently had the Slave cylinder and the Master cylinder replaced (end of summer) because I lost all the pressure in the clutch to the point where it wouldn't go into gear anymore. Now the same problem started happening AGAIN.. had it checked out by the same guys who replaced the slave and master cylinder originally, and they said its mostly like the Pressure plate that's going bad, which is why its becoming harder for me to get the car into gear.

Anyone ever heard of this??? I really don't know where to turn and could use some assistance to not get raped on price!

Also, could this have anything to do with my car dying tonight?? Slowly started losing power earlier tonight, and then when i was having a BLAST trying to get my car into my driveway, I stalled it and I couldn't get it started back up without a jump..when I did get it started back up, the Battery light was still on, and the dash lights and everything else was super DIM.

I'm thinking alternator problem, but I'm also thinking how much bad luck can a guy have to have this shit happen at the same time? :(
(P.S. 3 month old battery, bought new!!)

Appreciate the help,

-Julian.

Car Guy
12-09-2009, 07:51 AM
The two aren’t related, sounds like an bad alternator and the pressure plate could very well be on its way out. Hard to say without looking at it in person but that could have contributed to the two clutch cylinders failing prematurely.....

Also; make sure to charge the battery immediately, with the severe cold coming later today you'll be buying another if it's left outside with no charge.....

Moparjim
12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Typically the only way you will have trouble with a pressure plate or clutch not RELEASING is as you said with a hydraulic system issue.

Otherwise, they wear so they start to SLIP when worn out.

The only way the pressure plate or clutch disc causes a release issue is if a) something has come apart and is jammed in there - either a piece of the plate like a spring or whatever, or chunk of the disc (I have had a whole puck come off and do this lol), or b) if the stuff gets really warped from heat as the result of pretty hard usage. If the disc or plate gets warped it is now effectively thicker, resulting in release issues.

That being said, depending on how much "fun" you typically have with it I guess it is possible you have warped the stuff from rough handling.

Car Guy
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Typically the only way you will have trouble with a pressure plate or clutch not RELEASING is as you said with a hydraulic system issue.

What about a worn throw out bearing or related components...??? That's what I was referring to when I said pressure plate.....:durr

Moparjim
12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Not typically. Typically a worn throwout bearing still works fine, just gets noisy as hell.

SlowStee
12-09-2009, 12:35 PM
When I first start the car, there is NO chance if getting it into gear...as it warms up for a few minutes, and some clutch pumps later, I can get it into 2nd, then reverse, and after driving for a bit, all the gears..but its pretty tough.

Reverend Cooper
12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
this is a hydrolic issue all the way,check the fluid in the clutch master see if its low,
oh and it needs a alt.

wrencher
12-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Agree with everyone else here. If the clutch pedal feels like crap & dont release completely it's a hydraulic issue.
Likely the alternator is done.... totally seprate issue

4eyedstang
12-11-2009, 08:20 AM
try bleeding the clutch system.there maybe a small leak somewhere letting air into the system.